Brian91's Posts

Brian91's Posts

Thanks for your response, bingo.  As you say, the best way to find out for sure is going to be trial and error.
Thanks, crazyrov. However, and I don't mean any offence by this, but saying to the customer "it should work" won't be received well as that is what the supplier of the new backup solution keep... See more...
Thanks, crazyrov. However, and I don't mean any offence by this, but saying to the customer "it should work" won't be received well as that is what the supplier of the new backup solution keeps telling them when I report that certain things aren't working My initial test backup was promising, so I'm running a second now of the entire system.  There is the possibility that we can do a full system recovery ourselves as this box is not currently live, but has anyone out there actually done it? Thanks Brian
That's great, Hrvoje, thanks - I thought that would be the official line. Is anyone actually backing it up... and more importantly, have you been able to successfully recover? Brian
Hello everyone I'm sure that this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer: Can NetWorker Server 7.6.3 (Windows 2003) successfully backup Windows 2012 R2 (using 8... See more...
Hello everyone I'm sure that this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer: Can NetWorker Server 7.6.3 (Windows 2003) successfully backup Windows 2012 R2 (using 8.1 client)? Before I get flamed for not upgrading the background is that our customer chose their new backup product without consulting us.  Long story short, after almost a year of trying to shoe-horn this product to cope with their environment we are still not live and still encountering issues.  As a result, I want to use the existing (old, unsupported) version of NW to come to the rescue.  Through the forum, I believe that 8.1 client on Windows 2012 R2 may backup successfully to NW server 7.6.3... but will it? Comments, confirmations and suggestions welcomed. Thanks Brian
Thanks for your answer, Sam. Brian
Hello I've inherited a system that includes a PowerVault MD3660f.  In a few months, the office will be without power for several hours, so I'm looking for the correct way to shut the MD3660f down... See more...
Hello I've inherited a system that includes a PowerVault MD3660f.  In a few months, the office will be without power for several hours, so I'm looking for the correct way to shut the MD3660f down.  So far, I can't seem to find anything definitive about this. The closest I get is that it will shut down when the host it is connected to will shut down. Is this correct?  If so, I assume that it will start-up again when the host server is booted? Thanks for any information you're able to provide Brian
Hello I can understand the reasons behind allowing this, but isn't this a huge security hole?  Surely anyone with a wee bit of knowledge could use this method to circumnavigate the security of... See more...
Hello I can understand the reasons behind allowing this, but isn't this a huge security hole?  Surely anyone with a wee bit of knowledge could use this method to circumnavigate the security of NMC to gain full administrative rights, thus allowing anything from locking people out of the system to mass deletion of save sets? (Please, please correct me if I'm wrong...) Brian
Thanks for your reply, bingo. Playing around with the -q queryspec, the code: mminfo -a -r "totalsize" -q "savetime >= '01 January 2007', savetime <= '01 April 2014'" | awk '{sum=sum+$0}... See more...
Thanks for your reply, bingo. Playing around with the -q queryspec, the code: mminfo -a -r "totalsize" -q "savetime >= '01 January 2007', savetime <= '01 April 2014'" | awk '{sum=sum+$0};END{print sum/1000/1000/1000/1000}' reports 379.063 Tb , whereas the code: mminfo -a v -r "totalsize" -q "savetime >= '01 January 2007', savetime <= '01 April 2014'" | awk '{sum=sum+$0};END{print sum/1000/1000/1000/1000}' also reports 379.063 Tb .  In other words, you're correct in saying that you should use an absolute queryspec as without this, additional things seem to be getting added.  (Our long-term save sets are set for 6 years, so I know that there are no save sets more than 6 years old.  I'll create a more elegant solution for the date when I get time to change my script.) As for reporting in Tebibytes and not Terabytes, what can I say!?!  I simply based my code on stuff someone else had written and I didn't think to query it.  And the really embarrassing thing is that I've been using this for years... Brian
Hello I hope this isn't as stupid a question as it seems If I run the query: mminfo -a -r "totalsize" | awk '{sum=sum+$0};END{print sum/1024/1024/1024/1024}' I get a figure of 2... See more...
Hello I hope this isn't as stupid a question as it seems If I run the query: mminfo -a -r "totalsize" | awk '{sum=sum+$0};END{print sum/1024/1024/1024/1024}' I get a figure of 219.841 Tb .  However, if I run the query: mminfo -a v -r "totalsize" | awk '{sum=sum+$0};END{print sum/1024/1024/1024/1024}' I get a figure of 1087.28 Tb . Narrowing the time down to the last 6 hours and expanding the -r switch, it looks like the v (verbose) switch adds the index: and bootstrap: savesets - but that would mean that all my indexes and bootstraps are four times the size of my backups. Can someone please confirm if this is the case?  Also, when reporting the total size of all backups, which switches should be used - the -a or the -av switches? Incidentally, we have approximately 750 LTO3 tapes.  If we take the capacity of each tape to be 400 Gb, that equates to almost 300 Tb, therefore it looks as if the -a figure is more accurate. Brian
Yes, it'll be as though the 14th, 15th and 16th never existed. (Do you think that would be a good defence in court?  "I couldn't have done it then, your honour, as that date didn't exist.") ... See more...
Yes, it'll be as though the 14th, 15th and 16th never existed. (Do you think that would be a good defence in court?  "I couldn't have done it then, your honour, as that date didn't exist.")
Thanks, Carlos.  One of our other customers uses CommVault Simpana and they insisted on having McAfee running on the backup server.  Fotunately, the CommVault documentation tells you what process... See more...
Thanks, Carlos.  One of our other customers uses CommVault Simpana and they insisted on having McAfee running on the backup server.  Fotunately, the CommVault documentation tells you what processes as well as directories to exclude from virus scanning - but I'm still unhappy about running AV on it.
Thanks for your answers, guys. Brian
Hi All Just a general question - what's the general consensus about running an antivirus product on the backup server?  I come from a background where we've never run AV on a backup server as ... See more...
Hi All Just a general question - what's the general consensus about running an antivirus product on the backup server?  I come from a background where we've never run AV on a backup server as it impacts the speed of the backups, etc. But does it? We're currently running NetWorker 7.6.3 on Windows 2003 32-bit and the organisation is looking to install Symantec Endpoint Protection 11. This has been running on other servers, but has never been installed on the NetWorker server. Good idea to install it?  Bad idea to install it? Your comments are appreciated. Thanks Brian
Hello All If anyone else thinks this is a good idea, please "vote up" the idea: http://communities.quest.com/ideas/2345 Thanks Brian
Hi Chris There's a complete documentation pack at https://support.quest.com/Downloads.aspx?id=4999222 which you may find useful.  I'm  sure you can upgrade from 6.7 to 7 as that's what we'll be ... See more...
Hi Chris There's a complete documentation pack at https://support.quest.com/Downloads.aspx?id=4999222 which you may find useful.  I'm  sure you can upgrade from 6.7 to 7 as that's what we'll be doing and I'm sure it's in the one of the documents contained within the pack.  However, I've read loads of the documents on and off over the last week or so, so I can't quite remember which one . Hope this helps Brian
Thanks for the clarifaction, Thomas. Brian
Hello I'm reviewing the documentation for FVE 7.0 (http://us-downloads.quest.com/Repository/support.quest.com/Foglight%20for%20Virtualization%20Enterprise%20Edition/7.0/Documentation/FoglightFor_V... See more...
Hello I'm reviewing the documentation for FVE 7.0 (http://us-downloads.quest.com/Repository/support.quest.com/Foglight%20for%20Virtualization%20Enterprise%20Edition/7.0/Documentation/FoglightFor_VirtualizationEE70_StorageManagement30_ReleaseNotes.html) and would like to query the following in the "Known Issues" section: Known Issues The following is a list of issues known to exist at the time of this release. To review known issues for the installed components, see the release notes for each component (linked under New in this Release). Installation   Defect ID Known Issue VFOG-4146 When installing an external Foglight database on a different server than the Management Server, if database files already exist, the database creation fails with the message Cannot create file "C:\Program files...\foglight.mdf". Workaround: Manually delete the database files on the server or create a Foglight database with a different name. My take on this if my FMS is on ServerA and my SQL Server FMS database is on ServerB, then I need to delete (i.e. move elsewhere) the existing database files on ServerB in order to upgrade my installation. Is that correct? We're not ready to deploy yet, but this seems to be an extremely basic fault if I understand it correctly.  Can anyone comfirm this? Thanks Brian
Hi Steve I don't know about NetWorker 8, but previous versions of NetWorker have the "Owner Notification" field of the client.  Simply complete this with your smtp details and the relevant peo... See more...
Hi Steve I don't know about NetWorker 8, but previous versions of NetWorker have the "Owner Notification" field of the client.  Simply complete this with your smtp details and the relevant people will find out about the backups.  Note that this is per-client, i.e. your DBAs will also receive notification about your filesystem backups and vice versa. smtpmail -h <<my-server.com>> -s "RMAN backup notification"  -f networker@my_company.com fred@my-company.com jim@my-company.com Hope this helps Brian
Aw, shucks, thanks!
Hi Ren Not quite - that would give you a "skip every day except for the first Saturday every month" schedule.  Try the following: create type: nsr schedule; name: Full Every 1st Saturday... See more...
Hi Ren Not quite - that would give you a "skip every day except for the first Saturday every month" schedule.  Try the following: create type: nsr schedule; name: Full Every 1st Saturday; period: Week; action: incr; override: full 1 saturday every month Of course, once this has been created, the best way to check is to go into the GUI and take a look at the calendar view of the schedule. Brian