Ed La's Posts

Ed La's Posts

My VNX3200 Storage pool oversubscribed by 6% but I don't want to generate this alert. The problem is whenever trying to get status with uemcli.sh /sys/general show, it returns major failure (2... See more...
My VNX3200 Storage pool oversubscribed by 6% but I don't want to generate this alert. The problem is whenever trying to get status with uemcli.sh /sys/general show, it returns major failure (20) which is generated by the Storage Pool oversubscription. Is there anyway just to get the hardware alert without the oversubscription alert????
Switch 1 (Domani 1) ---------- Switch 2 (Domain 2) ---------------- Switch 3 (Domain 3) For above merged configuration without a Full Mesh Toplogy, the above Switch 2 is to be used as switchin... See more...
Switch 1 (Domani 1) ---------- Switch 2 (Domain 2) ---------------- Switch 3 (Domain 3) For above merged configuration without a Full Mesh Toplogy, the above Switch 2 is to be used as switching traffic between Switch 1 and Switch 3, does it require any special license???? Below is the Existing License on above Switch 2 (Domain 2):- Extended Fabric license Fabric Watch license Performance Monitor license Trunking license Adaptive Networking license Server Application Optimization license
Thanks, I will have unqie domain ID for the New switch, but what's the insistent Domain ID Flag is about??? How do I check if the flag has been set and how to set the insistend domain ID flag?... See more...
Thanks, I will have unqie domain ID for the New switch, but what's the insistent Domain ID Flag is about??? How do I check if the flag has been set and how to set the insistend domain ID flag???  thanks
fosconfig --show is Service not supported on this platform secPolicyShow and there is nothing in Active and Defined Policy Does it mean I don't have to concern about the virtual fibric an... See more...
fosconfig --show is Service not supported on this platform secPolicyShow and there is nothing in Active and Defined Policy Does it mean I don't have to concern about the virtual fibric and security policy??? And since the new switch has no defined and effecitve configuration, I just need to set a different domain from the already merged pair and it will then be merged if connected????
Dear Richard, Thanks for the useful reply. When I check with cfgshow for the existing merged fabric, I only see the zone, alias, and effective configuration, and the defzone --show is allac... See more...
Dear Richard, Thanks for the useful reply. When I check with cfgshow for the existing merged fabric, I only see the zone, alias, and effective configuration, and the defzone --show is allaccess. For the new switch, it has no defined nor effective configuration. It seems I don't have any other configuration like virtual fabric or security policy of switch to switch authentication, but how do I check it????
Could you let me know how to achieve the no config enabled state for the New Switch, thanks??? The cfgshow output of the New Switch is as follow:- Defined configuration: no configura... See more...
Could you let me know how to achieve the no config enabled state for the New Switch, thanks??? The cfgshow output of the New Switch is as follow:- Defined configuration: no configuration defined Effective configuration: no configuration in effect
Could some expert confirm to us that the following Brocade Switch Merging work without impact on the Existing Merged Production Pair Switches???? Thanks. 1. Exis... See more...
Could some expert confirm to us that the following Brocade Switch Merging work without impact on the Existing Merged Production Pair Switches???? Thanks. 1. Existing Pair of Merged Switch (Firmware FOS 7.0.2) are of switchDomain 1 & 2 having the Merged Configuration defined and in effect. 2. There is a New Switch (Firmware FOS 7.0.2) of switchDomain 1 with no configuration defined and no configuration in effect 3. The New Switch switchDomain is going to be changed from existing 1 to 3 before connecting it to the Merged Pair of Switches 4. Please confirm that we can merge all 3 switches together as connected below without any lost  and impact on existing Merged Configuration.           switchDomain 1------------- switchDomain 2-------------switchDomain 3 (New Switch)
Sorry, case closed, it was the user monitoring script itself problem
We have 4 x EMC Brocade DS300B Switches that now having intermittent Power Supply and Temperature Problem reported several times a day, but nothing is found in the errdump event log. We have S... See more...
We have 4 x EMC Brocade DS300B Switches that now having intermittent Power Supply and Temperature Problem reported several times a day, but nothing is found in the errdump event log. We have SiteScope regularly SNMP poll the 4 x switches every 10 minutes and found that there's the following SNMP Error:- 1) PowerSupply-1 fault 2) Temperature high than 35 degree (Normal Temperature is 20~22 Degree Celsius) I started to wonder if it's the DS300B Product problem or its SNMP agent because it can't be 4 x Switches having such problem. We used the EMC 6505 before but have never experienced such intermittent problem.
I have a SAS Pool of 26 x LUN with a Total User Capacity of 19324 GB. My SAS Pool Total Capacity is 19801 The Remaining Capacity should be 19801 - 19324 ~ 477 GB However, the Properties of t... See more...
I have a SAS Pool of 26 x LUN with a Total User Capacity of 19324 GB. My SAS Pool Total Capacity is 19801 The Remaining Capacity should be 19801 - 19324 ~ 477 GB However, the Properties of the SAS Pool is showing 19828 GB Total Subscription and therefore it's oversubscribed by 26 GB Why is there such a difference???
Thanks all, but do I also need snapsure License and why need it? I read from VNX Replicator technical document that it works with snapsure. Thanks.
How about other technologies such as MirrorView? Is MirrorView only for very short distance replication using FC Channel??? For VNX Replication Fail-Over, since it involves the NAS IP Chang... See more...
How about other technologies such as MirrorView? Is MirrorView only for very short distance replication using FC Channel??? For VNX Replication Fail-Over, since it involves the NAS IP Change from Production to a DR site with different subnet, is it automatic or manual effort is required for the NAS Client to reconnect to the DR site??
If we like to setup DR Recovery for CIFS/NFS, what is the license required? It seems we need VNX Replication License as well as DR License???
hi you mentioned to form a fabric, the 3 switches must not been connected to one another, and I don't get its meaning. If Switch 3 not connected to Switch 1, then Switch 2 will become the Core... See more...
hi you mentioned to form a fabric, the 3 switches must not been connected to one another, and I don't get its meaning. If Switch 3 not connected to Switch 1, then Switch 2 will become the Core switch, but all of our switches are 6505 entry level switch only.  Is it ok to make it a Core Switch???
Must all the 3 x FC Switches be connected to one another? Can I have the following connections?? Switch 1  --------------  Switch 2  --------------------- Switch 3 At above, I will hav... See more...
Must all the 3 x FC Switches be connected to one another? Can I have the following connections?? Switch 1  --------------  Switch 2  --------------------- Switch 3 At above, I will have Switch 3 communicated with Switch 1 via Switch 2. Is it a valid connection or do I need to also connect Switch 3 to Switch 1 directly?????
Sorry I made an incorrect statement. The 2 x connected switches are of different domain ID, NOT the same domain. What's the command to display the configured Domain ID??? My fabricprinci... See more...
Sorry I made an incorrect statement. The 2 x connected switches are of different domain ID, NOT the same domain. What's the command to display the configured Domain ID??? My fabricprinciple --show display that the principle selection mode is disabled !!!!
Dear Swen, Are you saying that by connecting a 3rd switch to the 2 x connected switch, it might result in the discruptive change of domain ID of the 2 x connected switch because of the Fabric ... See more...
Dear Swen, Are you saying that by connecting a 3rd switch to the 2 x connected switch, it might result in the discruptive change of domain ID of the 2 x connected switch because of the Fabric Principle configured settting, and therefore, it's better to set the Domain 1 switch to the highest priority 3 ??? Is there anyway to tell the current fabric principle setting of each of the 3 switches???
Dear Swen, Sorry, my mistake about the Domain ID. Actually, after checking, my 2 x connected switch are of different Domain ID 1 and 2, however, my 3rd to-be-connected switch is also of Dom... See more...
Dear Swen, Sorry, my mistake about the Domain ID. Actually, after checking, my 2 x connected switch are of different Domain ID 1 and 2, however, my 3rd to-be-connected switch is also of Domain ID 1, so does it mean that when changing the 3rd to-be-connected switch from Domain ID 1 to Domain ID 3, then it's discruptive for its attached devices but there is no impact for the attached devices in the 2 x connected switches? How about when I add the 3rd connected switch configuration into the 2 x connected switch to form a common configuration, would it be discruptive for the attached devices in the 2 x connected switches??? Thanks for any advise.
hi, we have 2 x DS-6505 SAN Switches connected already with running configuration and now we are consideriing connecting another DS-6505 to the domain, however, the new DS-6505 SAN Switch already... See more...
hi, we have 2 x DS-6505 SAN Switches connected already with running configuration and now we are consideriing connecting another DS-6505 to the domain, however, the new DS-6505 SAN Switch already has its own zone and devices connected and running. Does it mean that we need to erase each switch configuration one by one and then replacing it with a new configuration that contains all the 3 x switches configuration together to avoid segmented switch??? Is there a safer way to do it without erasing any existing configuration????? Thanks for any advise.
Dear Allen, To my basic understanding, when 3 switches are connected together, they will form a single domain with configuration stored into 1 main switch so that they won't become segmented s... See more...
Dear Allen, To my basic understanding, when 3 switches are connected together, they will form a single domain with configuration stored into 1 main switch so that they won't become segmented switch.  In this way, we can then configure a zone for interconnecting devices from different switches together. For this basic function, I won't require extra license, right?