Dell-Alan D's Posts

Dell-Alan D's Posts

@_Twister_ wrote: Thank you for your help with this! I'll probably decide to go with the service call - unfortunately, I cannot afford 2 weeks without the laptop. Let's hope it will all go s... See more...
@_Twister_ wrote: Thank you for your help with this! I'll probably decide to go with the service call - unfortunately, I cannot afford 2 weeks without the laptop. Let's hope it will all go smoothly!    Cheers! @_Twister_ I can get this organised for you if you haven't already called in. I'll drop you a private message. Alan
@difficult_guy wrote: It worked and now my window is activated. Can I possible copy its activation code number to save myself from future problems please? I mean how / where to find product activa... See more...
@difficult_guy wrote: It worked and now my window is activated. Can I possible copy its activation code number to save myself from future problems please? I mean how / where to find product activation code? @difficult_guy that's great to hear it worked. Here's everything we have regarding activation keys - https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln290004/windows-product-key-frequently-asked-questions-faq?lang=en#Windows-8-Product-Key Alan
Hi all,  We haven't forgotten about this, we have passed this onto Intel who are currently investigating the issue and will be working towards a driver update to address the issue. As mentioned i... See more...
Hi all,  We haven't forgotten about this, we have passed this onto Intel who are currently investigating the issue and will be working towards a driver update to address the issue. As mentioned in my post previously, a workaround is to use the A00 or A01 graphics driver. As soon as I can provide any further updates I will. Alan
@_Twister_ wrote: @Dell-Alan D, thanks for your response. it indeed feels like the 'variable torque hinge' is not working as expected - I experience the same torque across the whole range of m... See more...
@_Twister_ wrote: @Dell-Alan D, thanks for your response. it indeed feels like the 'variable torque hinge' is not working as expected - I experience the same torque across the whole range of motion. I bought this laptop directly from Dell UK (I'm also based in the UK) with the 3-year premium on-site support. So I guess I could call Dell to order a service call or ask for a return/exchange - however, this would be a major pain the neck as I'm using this laptop for work and returning/exchanging the laptop would take a lot of time - not to mention preparing a new laptop to work! On the other hand, servicing a brand new laptop during an on-site service call seems not ideal either :( I fear the laptop would never be "the same" after such operation. @_Twister_ I understand your situation and can see why you would be reluctant to have a service call. If you do request an exchange, it can take approximately 2 weeks for this to be completed if the request is approved.  It's entirely your decision in how you choose to proceed. A service call could fix the issue with a next business day service call.  Alan
@AlexRau wrote: @Dell-Alan D  Thanks for the reply. I must say first that I'm already aware of the policies you listed (about second-hand..) and the fact that there is an internal department f... See more...
@AlexRau wrote: @Dell-Alan D  Thanks for the reply. I must say first that I'm already aware of the policies you listed (about second-hand..) and the fact that there is an internal department for ownership transfers. I contacted Tech Support to ask questions because there is no way to reach that department directly.  My inquiry goes beyond the stated policies, since it refers to the experience of others who received onsite service even though they didn't get an ownership transfer (because they didn't know the previous owner). How is this possible? Does it mean that Dell does not outright refuse service if the person requesting it is not the registered owner?  Also, you mentioned something that is not stated publicly by Dell (to my knowledge):  If you are unable to provide previous owners details you may be asked to prove possession of the system by the ownership transfer team.  This could be the key to what I'm asking, because it suggests that there is a way forward even if previous owner details are unknown (but correct me if I'm wrong). What sort of information would an owner need to provide to prove possession? Hi @AlexRau everything that I can publicly discuss has been outlined in the linked article. I cannot provide any further specific detail than what I have said above regarding service.  If you submit an ownership transfer there is a link to the contact them in the confirmation email. Any further requests for private information would be discussed privately with them. Alan
@vpont wrote: Hi, Have any of you guys tried with the latest BIOS 1.10.0? Does TB16 work fine under this BIOS on Ubuntu? Thanks! Hi @vpont , I'll wait for the community to add furthe... See more...
@vpont wrote: Hi, Have any of you guys tried with the latest BIOS 1.10.0? Does TB16 work fine under this BIOS on Ubuntu? Thanks! Hi @vpont , I'll wait for the community to add further comments however the majority of the issues seen with the TB16 are down to Windows drivers being buggy / incorrect / installed in the wrong order. From the customers that have reached out with either dual boot systems or running Ubuntu, they don't appear to be seeing the issues in Ubuntu. Alan
@_Twister_ wrote: I've recently bought the XPS 13 9380 based on positive reviews and test run at the local shop. One of the features I really wanted was the one hand opening, which I tested at... See more...
@_Twister_ wrote: I've recently bought the XPS 13 9380 based on positive reviews and test run at the local shop. One of the features I really wanted was the one hand opening, which I tested at the shop and was working good enough - it definitely wasn't as easy as opening a Macbook but it was still relatively easy. However, when I received my new XPS and took it from the box there was no way I could open it with one hand - heck, it was not as easy to open with 2 hands! Don't get me wrong - it was still possible but only with 2 hands.  For the last week I closed and opened my laptop multiple times but it doesn't look that it's getting easier. Hence the question to you - did anyone else experience the same issue? Will the hinges relax a bit after longer use? Should I contact Dell and ask them to fix it? Would it even be covered by the warranty? The hinges work fine, they are just very strong/hard/tight. Or maybe there's something I could try myself to fix that issue? Any ideas welcome! Cheers! @_Twister_ if the system is not opening using one hand after multiple attempts that would suggest there is possibly some stiffness to the hinges. As this one handed opening is one of the features of the system and it's not functioning as designed then it would require a service call to replace the full lcd assembly.  With this system being brand new I can understand if you wouldn't want a service call. I would suggest you return it to the retailer than you purchased at pointing up the difference with the movement to the shop demonstration model and allow them to handle the situation. Alan
@difficult_guy wrote: I bought Dell Latitude around oct/Nov time last year. Now its saying, my windows 10 pro licence has expired. it does have windows sticker at the back of laptop. Can someone... See more...
@difficult_guy wrote: I bought Dell Latitude around oct/Nov time last year. Now its saying, my windows 10 pro licence has expired. it does have windows sticker at the back of laptop. Can someone help me to solve this issue please         @difficult_guy if the system was purchased from us with a copy of Windows installed the system should never ask you for a product key. It shouldn't also advise that your Windows license has expired. That would suggest that there may be a disconnect between your system and Microsoft's license tool. I would recommend you run through their activation troubleshooter first as that may resolve the issue for you - https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/20527/windows-10-activation-troubleshooter If that fails to resolve the issue you coudl try the steps outlined in the following 3rd party site -http://www.pcerror-fix.com/fix-windows-license-will-expire-soon-windows-10 Alan
@AlexRau wrote: Dell requires buyers of second-hand laptops to provide the "previous owner" details to transfer the ownership for warranty purposes; however, in many cases neither the buyer nor ... See more...
@AlexRau wrote: Dell requires buyers of second-hand laptops to provide the "previous owner" details to transfer the ownership for warranty purposes; however, in many cases neither the buyer nor the seller know these details, which sets up a roadblock for getting warranty service. On the other hand, I've read (and heard personally) that some people were successful in getting onsite service for their Latitude laptop without the ownership transfer: example 1  and example 2. I have also spoken to Tech Support today, and after much back-and-forth, they admitted that even without the transfer, " we can still provide warranty support, but it would likely be limited to onsite tech or ARC (mail-in) dispatches, no parts only dispatches. Or dispatches that require any type of account verification." Can any of the Dell reps on this site please confirm if this information is correct: that buyers of second-hand Dell laptops (e.g. Latitude) can get onsite service even if they are unable to transfer the ownership because they don't know the previous owner details.  Looking for an honest non-evasive answer if possible. Please don't regurgitate official policies about having to do transfers, etc. @AlexRau  Ownership transfers are handled by the ownership transfer team, not tech support. Tech support have to manage the support requests on systems and depending on the nature of the service requested require certain data criteria to be validated before they can provide service. All of the information that you require can be found in the following guide to Ownership Transfer - https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln143036/ownership-transfer-and-dell-product-registration-guides?lang=en The last paragraph of the document should answer your query -Was the System purchased second hand, through an auction website or third party company? In order to take advantage of any remaining warranty (if applicable) for a Dell EMC System purchased through an auction site or through a third party, you will need to complete the transfer of ownership form by providing either or both of the following pieces of information: Previous Owner Information Service Tag and Express Code If you are unable to provide previous owners details you may be asked to prove possession of the system by the ownership transfer team.  Alan
@abragagn wrote: @Dell-Alan D  Hi I followed your suggestion: installing native killer wifi drivers did not help DPC latency as you can see: the audio is still popping and crack... See more...
@abragagn wrote: @Dell-Alan D  Hi I followed your suggestion: installing native killer wifi drivers did not help DPC latency as you can see: the audio is still popping and crackling of course I consider unacceptable changing card on 2000 $ laptop for such a basic feature like "audio", why would I ever bought a premium product in the first place?Considering the large likelihood that doing that would solve nothing, no thank you. regarding  wdf01000.sys the topic you linked can be summarized with "can be anything, good luck finding out" @abragagn the image you have attached shows that updating the killer drivers has improved your latency issue although it hasn't completely resolved it. Your issues with wdf01000.sys have gone and its now just he network driver that is contributing to it. For the pops and crackles -when exactly is this happening? Are you able to upload a video to youtube demonstrating these pops and crackles? Do you use the laptop with any audio equipment or for audio production? Alan
@kadw wrote: Firstly I did full test on battery from the link you mentioned. Freezed during GPU memory test. I did another test and it freezed a little bit earlier during GPU test. Then after re... See more...
@kadw wrote: Firstly I did full test on battery from the link you mentioned. Freezed during GPU memory test. I did another test and it freezed a little bit earlier during GPU test. Then after rebooting I could even  boot windows or linux, it freezed when loading OS. I had to wait some time and then plugged charger. This didn't make any difference because I couldn't run any test, it freezed instantaneously after starting browser and going to this page. I had to wait some time (to cool down maybe?) and then make try again but it also freezed just a little bit later. I think there are some issues with power management circuit or overheating. I really don't have more time to do tests as this is my only laptop and I use it everyday (well I'm trying to :P)   Now I'm sure it's not software/driver issue. It' purely hardware and I would like support to replace parts defective parts. Sorry I don't have more time for testing or do a clean install of windows as this will clearly not help (I have clean install of linux mint 19.1 and even on this system I experience this issues). This is my second Dell laptop, the first one was latitude 3440 and it was also a **bleep**, support replaced motherboard 3 times, hdd, charger.    Also here is a picutre from HWMonitor, some background: I did it after laptop shut down, waited for 10mins and then started it again, immediately after booting into windows I started HWMonitor. @kadw as its froze multiple times during the gpu test amongst others, it pretty much confirms the motherboard needs replaced. I'll respond to your private message for your service call details. Alan
@Rch204 wrote: Hi Alan, I'm experiencing the same issue, my E7450  is not detecting wifi networks. I tried to re-install your recommended wifi driver, but my laptop showed "operation is unsucce... See more...
@Rch204 wrote: Hi Alan, I'm experiencing the same issue, my E7450  is not detecting wifi networks. I tried to re-install your recommended wifi driver, but my laptop showed "operation is unsuccessful".   What is your recommendation?   Thanks, @Rch204 the error that you received may depend on the correct wireless card being installed in the system. It could also be an issue with the folder that you are extracting the file to. Before looking at potential software issues, I would look at troubleshooting the hardware first. a) Is the wireless card seen in the BIOS? (Power on the system and keep tapping the F2 key in rapid succession. The card should be listed as a device under System Information) b) Is the card set to function with the wireless switch enabled? (From within the BIOS, look for the Wireless Section. The boxes should be ticked for WiFi and for the wireless switch) c) When you boot the system in Windows, do you have a red X in the system tray over the wireless icon? I'll drop you a private message for your service tag so I can check what wireless card was purchased with the system. Alan
@kadw wrote: Unfortunately I don't have another  identical 7390 system or M.2 disk to replace and test.  I did clean install about 10 months ago, when I received the laptop.  I did some more t... See more...
@kadw wrote: Unfortunately I don't have another  identical 7390 system or M.2 disk to replace and test.  I did clean install about 10 months ago, when I received the laptop.  I did some more tests and I'm able to reproduce crash while working on battery almost instantaneously when fan turns on with just a little load. I can't do anything that puts too much stress on CPU/GPU unplugged. Now I can run full FurMark stress test when plugged in without any crash. I can't do it on battery though. I have two suggestions here, firstly, have the system running on the battery only and run the extended online diagnostics from the following link - https://www.dell.com/support/home/tw/en/twbsd1/product-support/product/latitude-13-7390-laptop/diagnose Click on full test and let me know if the system freezes during this test or it completes without issue. My next recommended troubleshooting step would be to go for a clean fresh install of Windows. Alan
@kpul97 wrote: No hasn’t turned on yet, was on the phone with Dell for a while and I’ve decided the best for me was just to return it. @kpul97 thanks for the quick response, the support team s... See more...
@kpul97 wrote: No hasn’t turned on yet, was on the phone with Dell for a while and I’ve decided the best for me was just to return it. @kpul97 thanks for the quick response, the support team should be able to organise the return of the system for you. Alan
@kpul97 wrote: Hi everyone! (TL; DR. My Dell XPS 13 (9380) isn’t turning on. Only the front light and keyboard light flash, screen is blank. Any suggestions what I could do?) Two nights ago whilst... See more...
@kpul97 wrote: Hi everyone! (TL; DR. My Dell XPS 13 (9380) isn’t turning on. Only the front light and keyboard light flash, screen is blank. Any suggestions what I could do?) Two nights ago whilst completing an important assignment, I took a break and when I returned to complete my assignment the screen was off. I just naturally assumed it put itself into sleep mode so when I tried to turn it back on, the front light and keyboard backlight was turning on, as if to boot up and then turning off. But nothing pops up on the screen. I did the screen test by holding the power button + d key and it works, so I know it’s not the screen. And the battery seems to be charging. I’m really disappointed as this was the first laptop I’ve bought with my own money and spent quite a lot to get the top spec configuration. I heard really good reviews about this laptop and loved the look of the XPS so I was really excited. Also keep in mind I’ve had this laptop for only over a month and I bought this with the expectation to last me through college. To stop working in just over a month is unacceptable really, especially for the price I’d paid. So I’ve got a broken laptop, un-submitted (late) assignment which I can’t get to because it’s on my laptop. (Lesson learnt, I’ll just back up everything from now on :P) Fingers-crossed that this is a quick fix. Can’t really afford to be out of a laptop as it’s nearing the end of trimester for me and I need it for notes and other assignments. If anyone could help, that’d be greatly appreciated. I desperately need it. Thanks! @kpul97 I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues on your new system. Are you still experiencing the same problems or have you managed to successfully get the system back up and running? Alan
@zwollerob wrote: any solution yet? We have the same problems here with the 2-in-1.... Not one device but 10+ devices. I have a running ticket at techdirect but if the solution is already found fo... See more...
@zwollerob wrote: any solution yet? We have the same problems here with the 2-in-1.... Not one device but 10+ devices. I have a running ticket at techdirect but if the solution is already found for this by you maybe i can fix this for our devices. @zwollerob I suspect that this issue is most likely related to an out of date driver. Can you help me with a few additional details please -  a) When do you receive these Bluescren error meesages, before or after you boot the system in Windows? b) Are you able to boot the system into Safe Mode? c) Are you running the latest BIOS and drivers on the system? d) Do the ePSA tests pass without issue? (To run the ePSA test, hold down the Fn key and power on the system) e) Are you running a corporate image or the Dell OEM image? Alan
@kadw wrote: a) ePSA and PSA diagnostics  passed all tests b) there is no damage to  plastics surrounding this port or looseness c) can't force crash/freeze while wiggling adaptor d) ... See more...
@kadw wrote: a) ePSA and PSA diagnostics  passed all tests b) there is no damage to  plastics surrounding this port or looseness c) can't force crash/freeze while wiggling adaptor d) while running sometimes when I unplug ac adaptor it freezes, can't reproduce it. There is no rule for this, once it happened during high load, another time when I was watching youtube video and unplugged. e) during boot, yes. As I mentioned in d) it's not easy to reproduce bug with unplugging when system is running. I can only reproduce freezes and crashes during boot and high load (eg. funmark gpu stress test, also when I run simulation software, like ads momentum) f) yes, on another dell laptop it works ok   btw I'm using 90W ac adaptor That's good to hear there is no damage. The ac adaptor being 90w shouldn't be a problem as the system was offered for sale with a 65w, 90w, 130w and 180w versions so I don't think that is the cause. As you have updated the system BIOS to the latest revision that rules that out too. Do you have another identical 7390 system that you could swap the drive into this system and test it to see if the fault stays with the system? If you have no drive swap available, when was the last time to done a clean install of the operating system? Alan
@marvanitis wrote: Hello all. Please advice part number for backlit US layout keyboard for Latitude 5591 service tag: TAG REMOVED It has a non-backlit Greek/English keyboard and I want to ch... See more...
@marvanitis wrote: Hello all. Please advice part number for backlit US layout keyboard for Latitude 5591 service tag: TAG REMOVED It has a non-backlit Greek/English keyboard and I want to change it to backlit US. Regards, Manos, Athens, Greece   @marvanitis the part number you require for a 106 key English US backlit keyboard is 383D7 Alan
@tornstick wrote: Strangely enough or not, battery calibration (ran twice) improved stated capacity by about 10%. However, two days later running powercfg /batteryreport showed the stated capacity... See more...
@tornstick wrote: Strangely enough or not, battery calibration (ran twice) improved stated capacity by about 10%. However, two days later running powercfg /batteryreport showed the stated capacity was somewhat below my low figure before calibration. Performed calibration two times more but capacity is still at 42Wh (design 52Wh). That is poor for only having the 9370 for 15 months but not abysmal. So I will live with it as I spend most of my time using it at home in various rooms teethered to a power plug. Regarding browsers and battery use you were right, some (like Brave and Vivaldi) drew a bit less power but lacked extensions I like to use. So until one is invented I guess I will be sticking with Chrome and Firefox (hopefully the new Edge-Chromium will prove to be my savior once it gets finalized, right now it uses slightly more, on my laptop, than Chrome running like to like). @tornstick the difference in battery capacity is working as designed as per this article https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln313213/notebook-battery-report-shows-a-difference-between-the-battery-design-and-the-full-charge-capacity-on-your-system-battery?lang=en I still find it bizarre that chrome can be using so much of your battery resource. Have you tried running a "clean" version of Chrome without any add ons or extensions? The reason I ask is that for the number of XPS systems that have been sold, if this was an issue I would be expecting alot more chatter about it. Alan Alan
That's good to hear. Glad you got your system back up and running. Alan