cactuspete1's Posts

cactuspete1's Posts

I just ordered the 8700 with the SSD and want to do the same kind of thing, install OS on the SSD,  Think I need to request the install media from dell, (comes with 8.1 Pro 64-bit) Assume I would... See more...
I just ordered the 8700 with the SSD and want to do the same kind of thing, install OS on the SSD,  Think I need to request the install media from dell, (comes with 8.1 Pro 64-bit) Assume I would need to set the SSD as boot drive in the BIOS to do the install.  Original HDD with the pre-installed OS can be disconnected or not used (no longer boot drive) until OS installed and working on the SSD.  Just wondering if this makes sense or other methods anyone would suggest.  Could you make a disk image of the HDD with initial OS and restore that image to the SSD? or something like that? Basically a System Restore like this: http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?%20&docid=DSN_347576&~srd=true&sk=PC%20restore&scat=sup
I too would like to know the answer for this. I just ordered an XPS 8700 with the 256GB SSD. Wanted OS on this drive.    Thx in advance Pete
Great post well written etc.   Now that it is 9 months later I wonder if the 'BIOS' version on the XPS8700 is better? (compatible with more video cards etc...) Not sure but I think there are more/dif... See more...
Great post well written etc.   Now that it is 9 months later I wonder if the 'BIOS' version on the XPS8700 is better? (compatible with more video cards etc...) Not sure but I think there are more/different options or choices than there were last year.   I was very tempted to order one of the lower end XPS 8700 (to get Win 7) and then upgrade the RAM and HDD's myself......Instead I waited (and waited) now 8.1 Pro is out and available on the top end 8700 Special Edition that comes with 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD and 256SSD...and got it on sale ($300 off)  still pricey but lazy me doesn't have to upgrade all etc, probably just add another HDD or two..(not a big gamer so Video card upgrade not needed ...curious about installing the OS on the SSD, but few posts I have seen make it seem slightly painful, but those were older post where people had 8.0 and were trying to upgrade to 8.1.....I really wanted to avoid Win 8 as I like Win 7 but just started a new job with an 8.1 Windows laptop and think I will get used to it before too long.  Just checking Dell US  vs. Dell Canada sites (I bought from Canada).....the US version of the Special Edition is approx $528 more than the Canadian one (whether not onale or both onsale same price difference)....only difference I can see between what I bought and the US one is the '2 year Enhanced' support and current special for the US one gives you option for free upgrade to a Creative Sound card......other than that seem like the same machine.. Anyway thanks for the great detailed post... Hope to find more posts on the XPS 8700 re: HDD adding and installing OS on the SSD. I had issue in the past getting Win 7 to recognize 3TB drive.....I know there are ways to resolve this just not sure which is the best.... Also looking for advice on what others do to restore/re-install......I'd prefer a disk image of my system once setup not sure what other options I should consider.....just want to avoid having to re-install all apps etc.. thanks again pete