brucefan's Posts

brucefan's Posts

Everything looked good and adding as a hot spare worked fine.   Virtual disk is back in Ready state.  Thanks.
Have a Poweredge 2650 with a Perc 3/di controller.   Our system drive is 2 - 33GB drives in a RAID 1 array.  This morning after rebooting the server, Openmanage is reporting a degraded virtual drive.... See more...
Have a Poweredge 2650 with a Perc 3/di controller.   Our system drive is 2 - 33GB drives in a RAID 1 array.  This morning after rebooting the server, Openmanage is reporting a degraded virtual drive.  The physical disks show no problems but the "State" on one says Ready (with 0 GB used and 33GB available Raid space)  and the other says Online.  It's like one drive just dropped out of the Raid 1 array.  How can I add that drive back into the array?    Do I have to unmirror the degraded virtual disk then add that drive back?   I've tried reseating the drive but that didn't do anything.
Joe,    Thanks but the first link just shows how to set up a CSV on an Equallogic with Hyper-V which we already have done...the 2nd is just a user guide for ASM.  I'm more looking for best practice... See more...
Joe,    Thanks but the first link just shows how to set up a CSV on an Equallogic with Hyper-V which we already have done...the 2nd is just a user guide for ASM.  I'm more looking for best practices or an opinion for our type of situation.   We can't test a recovery until we know how to set one up.   I'm at a loss on what we'd use ASM/ME for if we only use the PS4000 for hyper-v and ASM smart copies aren't supported for replicas on CSV clusters.  That's the type of advice I'm looking for...not necessarily a step by step instruction...just an opinion on a strategy.
Still getting my feet wet with Equallogic/asm/snapshots...etc. so bear with me.    We have a 2 node cluster using R710's and a PS4000 with a CSV volume.  We have another R710 and a PS4000 we'll be us... See more...
Still getting my feet wet with Equallogic/asm/snapshots...etc. so bear with me.    We have a 2 node cluster using R710's and a PS4000 with a CSV volume.  We have another R710 and a PS4000 we'll be using for DR purposes at a remote location with limited bandwidth b/w the sites (right now 3Mbps but looking at increasing).   Right now the config is all our Hyper-V VM's are residing on one large CSV volume...some of these VM's aren't priorities for DR purposes.   Reading in another thread, hyper-v replicas aren't supported by ASM/ME right now.   Our DR goal isn't to be up and running instantly after an issue...we just want to make recovery easier at the remote location in case of disaster (we're also currently backing up using BE 2010).   So...what's the best way to handle this type of situation?   I'm assuming replicating one huge volume isn't going to work...so do I stop using a CSV?  Split up the VM's onto their own volumes?   How can I best utilize ASM/ME (if at all) in this scenario?    
Great...thanks for the info. 
I know this is going to be a simple answer but I'm having trouble finding it spelled out.  What network does the actual replication on a pair of PS4000's occur on....the iscsi network or the manageme... See more...
I know this is going to be a simple answer but I'm having trouble finding it spelled out.  What network does the actual replication on a pair of PS4000's occur on....the iscsi network or the management port network?    We followed the recommendations for setting up a single PS4000 and have 2 Powerconnect 6224 switches and have the iscsi traffic isolated on them...but now we want to set up the 2nd PS4000 for replication at an external site.  The iscsi traffic is isolated so I figured the management port would handle the replication data...but then in another document I saw a reference to replicating the PS4000's on the iscsi network....so I'm confused.   Plus the management network is only 100Mbps so again, I'm confused since the initial replication is going to take a long time over a 100Mbps connection.   So what is the proper physical set up for replication b/w 2 PS4000 SANs?  
I'm hoping this is a dumb question and I'm missing something.  Is there a way to remotely manage ASM/ME if the PS4000 SAN is on a Windows 2008 Core installation?  Or am I stuck with the CLI?  I have ... See more...
I'm hoping this is a dumb question and I'm missing something.  Is there a way to remotely manage ASM/ME if the PS4000 SAN is on a Windows 2008 Core installation?  Or am I stuck with the CLI?  I have remote Server Manager and Computer Management working...just can't figure out how to get the ASM snap in.
Results look good using IOMeter so I guess we're ok.  Just making sure before rolling this out to production.  Thanks.
We have an Equallogic PS4000 on clustered R710 Poweredge servers running Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Core.   2 iScsi connections per server going to a pair of stacked 6224 switches.  When using ATTO to try a... See more...
We have an Equallogic PS4000 on clustered R710 Poweredge servers running Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Core.   2 iScsi connections per server going to a pair of stacked 6224 switches.  When using ATTO to try and get an idea of disk performance to the SAN (testing directly from the host Core server to the Quorum drive and also from a VM to a fixed sized drive on the CSV), we're seeing good write speeds (about 170MB/s) but starting at 128 transfer size, the Read speeds drop to about 8 - 15MB/s and stay that way until the end of the test (8192 transfer size).  Is ATTO a good benchmark....am I seeing valid results?   If so...what should I be checking to resolve this?        
If it was bandwidth, I would think I'd see the issue on the non CSV volume as well as the CSV one no?    We have 8 Gigabit NICs in each server...2 in each are dedicated to iScsi (stacked dedicated 62... See more...
If it was bandwidth, I would think I'd see the issue on the non CSV volume as well as the CSV one no?    We have 8 Gigabit NICs in each server...2 in each are dedicated to iScsi (stacked dedicated 6224 switches for iScsi traffic), 3 are for the VMs, 1 for cluster and one for live migration.  All recommended by Dell for this setup and software parts configured remotely by Dell.
Sorry...should have elaborated.  The reason I copied the VM to the other host is to rule out a host issue...so it was tried on the one that hosts the CSV as well as the other.   So each host has a VM... See more...
Sorry...should have elaborated.  The reason I copied the VM to the other host is to rule out a host issue...so it was tried on the one that hosts the CSV as well as the other.   So each host has a VM on the CSV that is slow. 
The cluster is only 2 servers so I copied the CSV VM onto both hosts with just different hostnames...no difference.
I'm pretty new to SANs so bear with me.  We just got an Equallogic PS4000X with 2 R710 Poweredge servers with the intention of clustering the servers using them for Hyper-v implementation.   The R710... See more...
I'm pretty new to SANs so bear with me.  We just got an Equallogic PS4000X with 2 R710 Poweredge servers with the intention of clustering the servers using them for Hyper-v implementation.   The R710s are running Windows 2008 R2 Core...clustered with the Equallogic (Raid 10 with SAS drives) through 2 stacked Dell 6224 switches.  2 iscsi ports per server and using the Dell HITKIT 3.4.2.    We created 1 - 500GB volume and set it as a Cluster Shared Volume and a 100GB volume and did not set it as a CSV...just using it as a basic failover volume.    We then set up 2 VMs (Win 2008 R2 standard with nothing loaded...only joined to domain)....one with the VHD files on the CSV volume and one with the files on the standard volume...both on the same host, both using same virtual NIC.   The issue we're seeing is with file copies to and from the server that's on the CSV.  From a PC or server on our domain....copying files to the server that's on the standard volume results in about 100 - 110 MB/s speeds.  Copying files to and from the CSV VM server results in about 25 - 30 MB/s.  So far support is telling me this is "normal"....but I'm having a hard time believing that.  Before I ditch CSV altogether (I can't see hosting any servers...file servers or application servers...with these kinds of speeds)....can anyone tell me if this is in fact normal behavior??   What I've tried:  Enabled jumbo frames on switches, nics and servers, enabled flow control on the switches, turned off STP, changed the NIC bindings on the servers, disabled "File and Print sharing" on the iScsi nics. 
Just getting into learning about Openmanage and installed it on our servers.  I'm trying to update a Poweredge 1950 with the most recent bios (as directed by Dell support for issues we're having) and... See more...
Just getting into learning about Openmanage and installed it on our servers.  I'm trying to update a Poweredge 1950 with the most recent bios (as directed by Dell support for issues we're having) and am confused.  If I sync the online repository, it successfully syncs, downloads bundle v260 which has bios 2.2.6 in it.  The bios already on our server is 2.4.3.  The bios if I manually go to the Dell support site is 2.5.0.  So why is the online repository so old?  Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it is?
First time on Dell servers so bear with me...we have a Poweredge 2650 with a Powervault 220s drive array on a Perc 3/Di controller.   No management software was loaded on this server.  I installed... See more...
First time on Dell servers so bear with me...we have a Poweredge 2650 with a Powervault 220s drive array on a Perc 3/Di controller.   No management software was loaded on this server.  I installed OpenManage with the Storage Management option.  When I go into Server Administrator, I can't see any drives listed under storage management nor do I see the Perc controller listed (only the Ultra 160 adapters).  What do I need on this server to manage this external drive array?  When installing OpenManage, I did get a warning about the driver not being up to date...would just updating the Perc 3/Di controller driver (the current driver is a Microsoft driver) give me what I need?
Trying to create a DOS network boot cd using the latest broadcom 57xx drivers (tried latest drivers from Dell and from Broadcom) for a Latitiude D420.  When it attempts to load the B57.dos driver, I'... See more...
Trying to create a DOS network boot cd using the latest broadcom 57xx drivers (tried latest drivers from Dell and from Broadcom) for a Latitiude D420.  When it attempts to load the B57.dos driver, I'm getting a "Device Not Found" message.   The same boot cd works fine in an Optiplex that also uses a Broadcom 57xx integrated NIC.  Any ideas??