old_Bean's Posts

old_Bean's Posts

Hi, Some time ago I have changed the supplied Windows 8.0 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. The PC has been largely running fine, (although small reservations about latest Windows 10 update). QUESTION It... See more...
Hi, Some time ago I have changed the supplied Windows 8.0 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. The PC has been largely running fine, (although small reservations about latest Windows 10 update). QUESTION It is now June 2018, and I still boot from the mSata 256GB C drive, but I want to greatly increase the secondary drive size. I am using the latest A12 BIOS., so what is the relevant supported max HDD size for my XPS 8700 (2013) ? And any advice/tips please? Thank you in advance peoples ! 
Thank you Vic384, That's very helpful in getting my head around what is going on and the way Windows assigns the Drive number. I take it from the fact this has already come up that there is no re... See more...
Thank you Vic384, That's very helpful in getting my head around what is going on and the way Windows assigns the Drive number. I take it from the fact this has already come up that there is no real way to force a Drive & letter combo. I guess I am still surprised that my (as yet unformatted) secondary drive gets allocated first, because the main drive is an mSATA - but it is shown listed last in the Dell BIOS... maybe that's why, but I can't see a way to change that order.  Just so I don't make a silly mistake would you recommend which port numbers I plug the secondary drive in, and also the DVD ? [ 'cos the mSata is 0 anyway I guess] .  I got the impression that there may be certain combinations that  may cause issues. Finally, should I format the secondary only when the drives are correct, or can I format straight away ?
Thank you Tesla1856, I repost the picture here, but it shows on my PC, let me know if it still does not show.  I know it does not show if not logged in.  Maybe some limitations of size or similar?... See more...
Thank you Tesla1856, I repost the picture here, but it shows on my PC, let me know if it still does not show.  I know it does not show if not logged in.  Maybe some limitations of size or similar?  
Hi, I recently reinstalled W10 on the mSATA C_Drive. It correctly shows as Drive 0. But when I add a second drive (HDD) the mSATA C_Drive now displays as Drive 1, and the secondary HDD drive has ... See more...
Hi, I recently reinstalled W10 on the mSATA C_Drive. It correctly shows as Drive 0. But when I add a second drive (HDD) the mSATA C_Drive now displays as Drive 1, and the secondary HDD drive has become Drive 0. What causes this to happen please, and where do I look to correct (probably) my mistake?
Thank you Dan-H I think I will probably follow your WD choice as well.
Thank you Ron I think that's the missing link that both myself and noone else had thought about mentioning. Much appreciated
Hi guys I'm getting inconsistent answers on the internet to a simple question, and I would value an understandable answer please. I have an mid 2013 XPS8700 using a 256Gb SSD for the C drive, and... See more...
Hi guys I'm getting inconsistent answers on the internet to a simple question, and I would value an understandable answer please. I have an mid 2013 XPS8700 using a 256Gb SSD for the C drive, and a 2Tb HDD for the D drive. (Original equipment).  It is using BIOS A11 and I am running Windows 10 Pro. I wish to replace the Seagate 2Tb drive (which has worked very well) with a larger drive. Some sources say that each SATA drive can be a maximum of 3Tb, but  other users state they are using a 4 or 5 Tb drive with no issues. So, can someone please give me a definate answer.  If the answer is over 4Tb could someone explain why this works even though it is exceeding the Dell maximum size of 3Tb. Is this because there is another aspect involved - like PSU issues? Ideally I would like to go for a 6Tb but 4Tb would do, however I dont wish to cause issues later. I probably would go for WD Black or Seagate BarraCuda Pro unless I get adverse feedback. I would really appreciate sopme help. I am now out of capacity. Thanks in advance
Hi DarrenM and Osprey4, Did the 4Tb  HDD work ok in the XPS8700? I need to replace the original 2Tb HDD, and Dell said the limit was 3Tb... hmmm... Can you advise me please? I too want to put a... See more...
Hi DarrenM and Osprey4, Did the 4Tb  HDD work ok in the XPS8700? I need to replace the original 2Tb HDD, and Dell said the limit was 3Tb... hmmm... Can you advise me please? I too want to put a replacement 2nd drive in. I wondered whether I would need to partition it which is not something I want to do - and it may not help anyway.. BIOS = A11 If the answer is yes, can you say whether a 6Tb would work without partitioning? Thanks in advance...  It all got very urgent. Old_Bean
Thank you everyone. If I have any feedback, I'll post it here. Question The Gold or Red would be fine for a NAS or other storage. I was surprised to see that WD do not have an 8Tb Black - sui... See more...
Thank you everyone. If I have any feedback, I'll post it here. Question The Gold or Red would be fine for a NAS or other storage. I was surprised to see that WD do not have an 8Tb Black - suitable for desktops. For a desktop solution shall I wait for a Black or get a Gold?  Does anyone have any opinions? I hear tales of Golds not fixing errors because they are meant for Raid configurations. Thanks
Thanks Dan-H.  Very interesting.
Hi, If anyone is using a 3.5" SATA HDD with a capacity of 8Tb or over, I would value recommendations. My criteria is reliability, quietness, and ideally 7200k speed. I intend to try one in a W1... See more...
Hi, If anyone is using a 3.5" SATA HDD with a capacity of 8Tb or over, I would value recommendations. My criteria is reliability, quietness, and ideally 7200k speed. I intend to try one in a W10pro XPS desktop. I wwould prefer recommendations from users who actually have experience using the HDD they are recommending. However, if you have particulrly bad experiences, I would like to find out what happened, so I can avoid that sort of situation. Thanks in advance Pete
Thanks again Datapod, your thoughts are much appreciated. One last question if I may... Suppose I got, say, a 10Tb SATA drive and it didn't work as an internal drive. a.  Could simply buy one o... See more...
Thanks again Datapod, your thoughts are much appreciated. One last question if I may... Suppose I got, say, a 10Tb SATA drive and it didn't work as an internal drive. a.  Could simply buy one of those external cases with PSU and a USB3 lead and it would work? b.  Am I right in thinking that simply attatching a SATA cable to the new drive in an external case -  and then connecting it to the mobo of the Dell - is exactly the same as fitting it inside the Dell. i.e.  It will not work because it is using the Dell BIOS? The reason I ask is that I don't want to get saddled with a drive I can't use, and it would probablyt be more cost effective to buy a NAS with both USB and Ethernet connections. Pete
Hi Datapod Thanks very helppful... I checked your posting and that gives me some hope to expand capacity. Could you confirm it was the Toshiba shown in the post as an internal 5Tb SATA  drive?... See more...
Hi Datapod Thanks very helppful... I checked your posting and that gives me some hope to expand capacity. Could you confirm it was the Toshiba shown in the post as an internal 5Tb SATA  drive? So, just before my extended support ran out, I rang Dell support to specifically ask the question about putting in a larger HDD, i.e. would it work or would I need a BIOS update?. They said there was a 3Tb limit on each drive. I have a 256Gb SSD for C which is enough, and a 2Tb HDD for D which needs expanding. If I remember correctly, I think they also said that the bios limitation would not apply to external devices which have their own (whatever/controller?/bios?) I guess I now am asking myself do I risk buying a 6Tb drive and fit it and gamble it works..(but why did they then say 3Tb?).  So I am hesitant. I also wonder how far I could 'push it' safely? e.g. risk more and try an 8tb, or 10Tb?? .....So, I think I need to ask around a bit more before I part with money for a drive. Two quick questions if you have time... 1. If I fitted a larger HDD, what do I look for to pick up early signs of problems which are the result of fitting a drive which is too big? i.e. SMART information? Formatting not being able to complete, Chkdsk picking up errors?   Do you have any suggestions please? 2.  I have never heard of any difference between the US and UK X8700 models that might affect capacity, or any other aspects of the XPS8700, have you/anyone? Pete
Hi, Is it likely that Dell will produce version 12 of a bios in the forseeable future - if so any guesses when? I am feeling limited by the 3Tb max HDD size and hope this will allow a reasonable ... See more...
Hi, Is it likely that Dell will produce version 12 of a bios in the forseeable future - if so any guesses when? I am feeling limited by the 3Tb max HDD size and hope this will allow a reasonable increase say to above 6Tb. I know I can add other drives, NAS etc.. but I'd  prefer to plan my moves rather than just a knee jerk reaction.. Anyone have thoughts? Thanks in advance Pete [ System: Dell XPS8700 mid 2013 (UK)  ]
Thank you Dan-H I had not really considered the idea of a spare monitor. Good thought. Appreciate your info and help. Pete
Thank you Speedstep Appreciated
Suggestions please Hi guys, I will not be in a position to buy a new Dell system for a year, and I want to ask what people would suggest for two interim replacement parts in Feb 2017 for my relia... See more...
Suggestions please Hi guys, I will not be in a position to buy a new Dell system for a year, and I want to ask what people would suggest for two interim replacement parts in Feb 2017 for my reliable (mid 2013) XPS 8700  - i7 4770@3.4 24Gb DDR3; 256SSD, 2Tb HDD, 1023Mb nVidia GTX650Ti .... BTW I use Win10 Pro. MONITOR Firstly, and importantly my good 'ol 1920x1080 monitor is on the way out. It is getting urgent I replace this first and soon.  But it needs to work well with my next Dell system too!  So, I am starting from this position.  I am suggesting a replacement with a 24-27" monitor that can handle 4-5k Colour. However I note that some people seem to be advocating staying with a good 1920x1080 display for sizes under 27" and forgetting 5K. However, I can afford to get a higher pixel count as long as I can resize things to make it readable on the screen. A must is that it will work well with the next Dell system that I intend to get in first/second quarter of 2018. I need it to have at a non-HDMI connection (Is that a Displayport?) I need at least three inputs to handle plugging in various devices like AppleTV, or TV hardware, or (future) Bluray player or even HDR capable..  I presume HDMI. My uses:  General Internet, WP, watching movies, and rare but neccessary ability to run Elite Dangerous.  I also use it to do family/church  videos and audio editing. I don't specifically need accurate colour, just good sharp pictures that dont blur.  BTW, the monitor does not need to be Dell. Graphics Card I think it's a given that the existing GTX650Ti will not have what it takes to supply a new monitor, especially if 4-5k.  I have received one suggestion to replace it with something that will work ok  with the monitor until 2018 and the new system, and that is a EVGA 550G2, but I don't have the knowledge to go with whether it will fit, or either the load on the Dell's PSU will cause noise or overheating - even just playing back a movie. May I request helpful advice please guys? I don't know how long my monitor will hang on... Thanks in advance Pete
Hi! Very interesting...  Sorry to bombard you with questions - but.... Did you ever get Elite Dangerous going ok on the 8700 and GTX1070 - and did you find something that caused the error? Did ... See more...
Hi! Very interesting...  Sorry to bombard you with questions - but.... Did you ever get Elite Dangerous going ok on the 8700 and GTX1070 - and did you find something that caused the error? Did you solve the pins+cable issue? If so how please? Finally did you have any power/overheating issues?
Thamnk you very much. Thats very helpful.
Thank you. The 8910's spec is fine. In terms of graphics card they show  NVIDIA GeForce  GTX in ascending order.    650 - 680    750 - 780    950 - 980    1050 - 1080 But I am guessing t... See more...
Thank you. The 8910's spec is fine. In terms of graphics card they show  NVIDIA GeForce  GTX in ascending order.    650 - 680    750 - 780    950 - 980    1050 - 1080 But I am guessing the two monitors needs the 1060 up to cope well?? .. and I would need to know it fitted in the XPS 8910 and the PSU could cope long-term... Would that crack it ejn63 - or am i missing something? Pete