skypara's Posts

skypara's Posts

Any idea if the new 2018 XPS13 (9370) has the same issue with the external screen blackouts?
Well back in late 2016 I was actually able to achieve the stable external screen state with the "cold start" prior to the forced "down the throat" 1709 update. With the 1709 now live even the cold st... See more...
Well back in late 2016 I was actually able to achieve the stable external screen state with the "cold start" prior to the forced "down the throat" 1709 update. With the 1709 now live even the cold start is broken. I ended up completely wiping the whole system and reinstalling the 1709 from scratch with all latest drives from Dell. No joy. Tried fiddling with some BIOS TH settings. No joy. Tried the TH3 firmware 16 (A06) as well as the newer 26 (A07). No joy. I have noted that the screen becomes more unstable with the increase of the network traffic once connected to the internet to a point of constant flashing when a heavy download is in progress. On both WiFi connection (reduced to 50% output power) or through USB/Ethernet adapter to a network cable the situation is the same. By the way multiple users outside Dell forums are reporting issues with the 1709 and their external screen connections. Now I am considering downgrading the windows to 1706 or even 1703. The only issue is that Windows will try and probably succeed forcing back the 1709 at some point....   
Happy (almost) owner of XPS13 9350 for 2 years now. Since I got the laptop planning to use it with a 4K external monitor most of the time it is essential to have this working properly. Unfortunately... See more...
Happy (almost) owner of XPS13 9350 for 2 years now. Since I got the laptop planning to use it with a 4K external monitor most of the time it is essential to have this working properly. Unfortunately it turned out that the XPS13 9350 has a major hardware design issue with the Thunderbolt port as many of you probably already know. When connecting external monitor the TH3 link is unstable and the external monitor flickers randomly making the experience very unpleasant. My setup is Windows 10 Home x64, Thunderbolt adapter Startech TH3 to DVI, DVI cable to Samsung 4K 60Hz monitor (also tried Startech with TH3 to HDMI, same flickering). Since 2016 many driver updates from Dell were released specifically targeting the Thunderbolt port, also some ideas from the community suggested to change the wifi card (which I did, now is intel 8265 dual band) and reduce the wifi power output. Eventually I got the external screen working stable with a very simple solution - cold start the laptop, first log in Windows and then connect the thunderbolt cable. If I restart the laptop (hot start) with the TH cable connected, the screen flickered. Fast-froward to yesterday. Windows 10 forced on me the Creators update (1709). The screen flickering is back. There is absolutely no way to control it now. Rolled back the Windows version (to 1607) and the screen was stable again. Then Windows forced the 1709 to install itself again and the external screen went back to flickering. In my next attempt to switch back to the previous version the Window 10 entered the dreaded boot loop and everything went FUBAR. Had to reinstall the Windows 10 and all drivers. I had a small hope that this will somehow help. Well, it didn't. Screen still flickers like crazy. Attention Dell Support, please look into what the 1709 has messed up the TH3 port and hopefully a driver can be issued fixing what W10 Creators edition messed up. Fellow users, any ideas?
9350 with 4K external Samsung through TB Startech DVI. The external screen was behaving bad with random disconnections, no driver/BIOS updates helped too much. Following the recommendations I replace... See more...
9350 with 4K external Samsung through TB Startech DVI. The external screen was behaving bad with random disconnections, no driver/BIOS updates helped too much. Following the recommendations I replaced the Broadcom WiFI in my 9350 with Intel 8265. Yes, it is solid. I'm not experiencing anymore the random 4K external screen disconnections when working with the standard office apps, etc. But, it is not 100%. Sadly the external screen started to disconnect when I put it under the "ultimate" stress - www windity com page running on full screen. Those wind maps are driving the screen crazy. Anyway, I guess I can live with that. 99% stable. Now that my laptop is not the "latest" model anymore..
Something got definitely broken after the major Windows 10 updates over the past couple of days. Earlier I had the issue contained, with the July Dell updates and was happily working on my XPS9350 ... See more...
Something got definitely broken after the major Windows 10 updates over the past couple of days. Earlier I had the issue contained, with the July Dell updates and was happily working on my XPS9350 with Samsung 4K, connected though Startech TB to DVI adapter. Only occasional black out on the external screen, maybe once or twice per day. The tweaks as suggested by fellow struggles are all applied - WiFi power output at 50%, airplane mode on (switched off all radios), etc. As of today I'm back at square 1 with blackouts every 3-5 min or more often depending on the bandwidth coming to the screen. Dell please get back to the drawing board and sort out this issue as it is unacceptable for such premium price product...
The issue was contained with the July updates from Dell on my XPS9350 with 4K Sansung connected though TB to DVI adapter from Startech. I still had the occasional black out but it was something like ... See more...
The issue was contained with the July updates from Dell on my XPS9350 with 4K Sansung connected though TB to DVI adapter from Startech. I still had the occasional black out but it was something like once or twice a day. Today, a major update from Windows 10 as well as some updates from Dell were installed and the external screen now blacks out much more often, escalating the issue back to annoying. Dell, what did you break??
The recent drivers update (including critical video driver) seem to get my 4K @60Hz though T3 to DVI Startech dongle work solid for straight 2 days. Did Dell finally nailed it?
Two days ago my dell "supportassist" software came up with message for driver updates - video, chipset and thermal with video being critical (for Intel Graphics 540). Installed those on my 9350 and n... See more...
Two days ago my dell "supportassist" software came up with message for driver updates - video, chipset and thermal with video being critical (for Intel Graphics 540). Installed those on my 9350 and now the external screen (4K @60Hz though T3-Display port Startech dongle) works rock solid... Fingers crossed, almost two days of heavy use + internet, no video signal drops...
The follow up of the story above is as follows: Dell Support suggested to RMI the laptop... Got the issue sorted while fiddling with the power options in the Windows 10 settings. I have no idea h... See more...
The follow up of the story above is as follows: Dell Support suggested to RMI the laptop... Got the issue sorted while fiddling with the power options in the Windows 10 settings. I have no idea how that was related, but obviously something between the video driver/power settings did not work quite well. Anyhow, the high performance mode is active and the 9350 is now working fine. Well done Dell Support...
I've tried all available solutions on my XPS 9350. The only way to get close to the "nirvana" is connecting the 4K screen though TB3, Startech dongle TB3 to DVI 1.2, high performance mode on the lapt... See more...
I've tried all available solutions on my XPS 9350. The only way to get close to the "nirvana" is connecting the 4K screen though TB3, Startech dongle TB3 to DVI 1.2, high performance mode on the laptop and active Airplane mode. And the Wifi card power option is at 50% but that won't matter anyway, since the Wifi is disabled in the Airplane mode.  With the above, the external screen works (almost) stable at 4K 60Hz, but at random intervals, say 10-12 min the external screen blinks which is quite annoying. I noticed that the XPS doesn't like specific web pages for example, which when opened, make the external screen to start blinking every 10-15 sec, rendering all work impossible. Is there any update from Dell on the issue? What happened with the end of June "final solution"??
New XPS 9350, been using it for about a month. Except the Thunderbolt connecting to a 4K display issue (sorted out with keeping the lappy in airplane mode and having internet access though USB 3-LAN ... See more...
New XPS 9350, been using it for about a month. Except the Thunderbolt connecting to a 4K display issue (sorted out with keeping the lappy in airplane mode and having internet access though USB 3-LAN cable) everything seemed very good. Until yesterday when on an important meeting the screen while working on battery power, the screen went blank. Tried to reset with holding the power button down for about 10 sec. The button LED and the keyboard lights cycled, but the screen remained blank (no DELL logo on boot as well). I connected the power adapter, the screen came on. Few moments later it went black again. Cycled the power, no response from the screen this time. I did a quick browse for solution and found a guy claiming that disabling C-State in the BIOS has fixed similar issue. The problem is that this time no matter how many times I reset though the power button the screen remains blank... Eventually after 20 min the screen appeared and I managed to get the BIOS changed (disabled C-State). The rest of the day the XPS was working fine and I tough the issue is gone. Until this morning, when I opened the lid and the screen was black again. So, back to square 1. After few minutes fighting with the power button and connecting the power adapter, the screen is on again. Obviously this is not sustainable, as I won't know whether on my next meeting the lappy won't let me down again. I'm slowly getting fed up by this Dell product, and although I really like it, issues like this are just not acceptable. I would like to hear your suggestions if possible, how to sort that out.
Same issue here with XPS13 9350, connecting 4K Samsung though Startech TB32DP2 Thunderbolt 3. With the WiFi ON, the Startech is recognized and appears in the Attached Thunderbolt Devices menu. The ... See more...
Same issue here with XPS13 9350, connecting 4K Samsung though Startech TB32DP2 Thunderbolt 3. With the WiFi ON, the Startech is recognized and appears in the Attached Thunderbolt Devices menu. The connected Samsung 4K screen lights up fine and runs full res at 60Hz (though DP2 cable). The first time I attached the screen it stayed on for probably 10 minutes before the first signs of trouble came. The attached screen started blacking out and then the Startech completely dropped out. Now I have the same repetitive scenario - in less than a minute after starting the laptop, the attached screen blacks out, then both screens (built in and attached) start flashing for 10-20 seconds until the Startech drops out completely from the Attached Thunderbolt Devices menu. I have to plug the Startech out and then back in to get the attached screen back online, but the flashing starts almost immediately, and this goes on, rendering the setup completely unusable. Earlier I was using a "no-brand" UCB-C to HDMI adapter plugged in the same port. The attached 4K screen was appearing (max 30Hz) and occasionally blacking out, sometimes quite often. Annoying but at least usable as opposed to the above T3 setup. I have noticed that using BT mouse/keyboard was affecting the stability of the screen link, probably the WiFi as well. After reading though the forum I tried running the TB3 setup in "airplane" mode and indeed the screen works fine now. I reduced the WiFi to 75% but occasionally the screen flashes, so I drop the WiFI power setting further down to 50%. Still I get the 4K flash once in a while... Clearly TB3 link to the screen is not entirely stable. For now I'm fine as I'm using another Startech dongle USB3 to RJ45 connection and running my internet through LAN cable. Once I'm out the office I can use the WiFi as nothing is attached to the TB3 port. But I don't think that should be the solution (not for a 2000$ high end Dell laptop at least). And ultimately I would like to see the external screen stable on at all times.
I don't think it is related, but for the sake of eliminating possibilities the phones were moved away. Blackouts continued.  However I noticed that the screens (both built in and the external) stay... See more...
I don't think it is related, but for the sake of eliminating possibilities the phones were moved away. Blackouts continued.  However I noticed that the screens (both built in and the external) stay firmly on while the WiFi is in use, e.g. I'm watching video stream from YouTube. The moment the network is in low mode or not in use, the screens blackout again. Go figure...
Dell XPS13 (9350), with Intel 540 graphics, all drivers are updated (not as per Dell procedure). Windows 10 x64. When connecting my Samsung 27" 1080p external screen though the USB-C to HDMI adapte... See more...
Dell XPS13 (9350), with Intel 540 graphics, all drivers are updated (not as per Dell procedure). Windows 10 x64. When connecting my Samsung 27" 1080p external screen though the USB-C to HDMI adapter the screen works as advertised @60Hz. Unfortunately like many other users are complaining, occasionally both laptop and external screen go black for few seconds and then the image restores. This occurs randomly. Sometimes screens are on for 20-30 min with no glitch, sometimes they blackout every minute or so. This happens only when external screen is connected. The adapter used on the Thunderbolt end is "no brad" Chinese imitation. I thought if I buy Dell adapter (DA200) or the dock (TB15) my problems will be solved but some online reading actually makes me believe the issue is not in the Chinese adapter but the drivers supplied by Dell. Can anyone update what's the status of this (widespread) "external screen on USB-C blacking out" situation. Thanks!