johnb352's Posts

johnb352's Posts

Thanks.
The originating server has a PERC H700 PCI card.  The destination has a built-in H710 Mini.  Could that work?  I guess the only way to know is to try it.
Ok, thanks.  And thanks for the tip about the matching model and firmware.  I'll check on that first.
Two Powervault R310s. I need to move the drives from one R310 to another.  I know the RAID config is on the controller, is it also on the drives?  This would be taking all four drives and replacing... See more...
Two Powervault R310s. I need to move the drives from one R310 to another.  I know the RAID config is on the controller, is it also on the drives?  This would be taking all four drives and replacing the four in the 2nd server.  What is the prompt that I will get on this 2nd server when it detects new/different drives, and what's the response that I use?
Firmware 8.1.0 In SAN HQ > Support Assist > Contacts, is there a way to remove a contact?  Seems odd, because I don't see a way.  It will let you add more all day long, but you can't remove any.
ok, thanks.
Is there a way to configure Storage Update Manager to start with a particular Group Mgt IP address?  Versus prompting me with a list.  Thanks.
That's perfect.  Thank you!
We have two FS7610 NAS devices.  They are not configured as a cluster, instead the FS7610 at our production site is replicated hourly to a FS7610 at our DR site. In reading documentation on these d... See more...
We have two FS7610 NAS devices.  They are not configured as a cluster, instead the FS7610 at our production site is replicated hourly to a FS7610 at our DR site. In reading documentation on these devices, I see information talking about a failover to a 2nd controller.  And I'm pretty sure they're talking about to the 2nd controller in the FS. Is there any documentation that lists the steps to follow to failover to a 2nd FS, in our case our DR FS7610?
We would like to use the ".snapshots" functionality.  To restore a single file. As I had said, the "Previous Versions" functionality is only for a folder.
We're on v3.0.940120
This is from a Dell document available online: Direct file restore — To recover accidentally deleted or modified files, a user can access the hidden snapshot directory (/.snapshots/), find the appr... See more...
This is from a Dell document available online: Direct file restore — To recover accidentally deleted or modified files, a user can access the hidden snapshot directory (/.snapshots/), find the appropriate snapshot folder (named according to its time of creation), and copy the file(s). This is the document (pg 9) en.community.dell.com/.../20292399 The "previous versions" feature, in this case, only works for folders.  It does not work for individual files.
Sorry, this is CIFS shares.
In theory, users can restore their own files, from the snapshots of the volume.  But in our experience, only users that have admin rights on the FS can even view the hidden ".snapshot" folders.  Wher... See more...
In theory, users can restore their own files, from the snapshots of the volume.  But in our experience, only users that have admin rights on the FS can even view the hidden ".snapshot" folders.  Where is that configured or controlled, so call users can view those folders?
Don - we are on firmware version 3.0.940120 I have a support case for another issue with the FS, and today I added this issue to that case, but in my experience so far, it has been difficult to fin... See more...
Don - we are on firmware version 3.0.940120 I have a support case for another issue with the FS, and today I added this issue to that case, but in my experience so far, it has been difficult to find someone at Dell that has hands on experience with anything software related with these devices.  I was hoping to find someone here with hands on experience with this. The FS7610 that we have will hopefully be replaced two Windows file servers that we have.  We are a fairly large organization so yes, we use multiple security groups.  If you're referring to Active Directory security groups.  Or are you referring to local security groups on the FS?  I'm also curious what you mean by "primary" security group.
Has anyone had any luck getting Access Based Enumeration working with Dell's FS series of NAS devices?  I enabled it in the CLI for our FS7610.  But it doesn't work.  I still see folders that I don't... See more...
Has anyone had any luck getting Access Based Enumeration working with Dell's FS series of NAS devices?  I enabled it in the CLI for our FS7610.  But it doesn't work.  I still see folders that I don't have read-access to.  ABE is a feature that Dell advertises in it's literature for the FS7610 and FS7600.
Don - Right, what you describe is what I'm trying to do;  add a CIFS share as a folder target for an existing DFS folder. We have already been using DFS for many years.  I'm just adding to that.  I... See more...
Don - Right, what you describe is what I'm trying to do;  add a CIFS share as a folder target for an existing DFS folder. We have already been using DFS for many years.  I'm just adding to that.  I go into DFS mgt, right click on a folder under one of our namespaces and choose "Add Folder Target". I noticed today that I get a different error message when I used FQDN.  The error that I get is "It is not possible to determine whether the server is a cluster". In Windows Explorer I can browse the shares on the FS using the cluster name or the FQDN.
Does the FS-7610 support DFS? When I try to add a Folder Target in the DFS console and point it to a share on the FS I get an error "The shared folders cannot be enumerated.  The network path was no... See more...
Does the FS-7610 support DFS? When I try to add a Folder Target in the DFS console and point it to a share on the FS I get an error "The shared folders cannot be enumerated.  The network path was not found".  These are CIFS shares and the NAS device has been added to AD.
Great.  Thank you!
I don't find the answer to these questions in any of the Dell white papers out there for the FS. 1.) Is the Snapshot reserve space part of the Container space?  In other words, if my Snapshot reser... See more...
I don't find the answer to these questions in any of the Dell white papers out there for the FS. 1.) Is the Snapshot reserve space part of the Container space?  In other words, if my Snapshot reserve is 1.5 TB and my NAS container is 15 TB, I actually have 13.5 TB for data because 1.5 TB is reserved for snapshots. 2.) When using Data Reduction, either dedupe or compression, what happens at the time of a backup?  Is the data rehydrated at the time of the backup?  I found this in a Dell white paper, but no mention of backups: • Data is rehydrated for anti‐virus scanning. • Data is rehydrated before being replicated to a target NAS volume.