larrens's Posts

larrens's Posts

I have a Dell Studio 540 running Windows 7. The CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300. The computer is around 5 years old. I am trying to upgrade this to Win10 but I am having problems with the Compatib... See more...
I have a Dell Studio 540 running Windows 7. The CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300. The computer is around 5 years old. I am trying to upgrade this to Win10 but I am having problems with the Compatibility checker. (I should add that the Windows 8.1 compatibility check runs fine and shows NO issues) Initially, when Windows 10 compatibility check appeared on my computer I received an error saying the “ CPU was not supported” .  Looking around at the time, I discovered there was a bug and some computers were incorrectly assessed. A few months later, supposedly once the Windows updates ran and corrected the compatibility bug, I did get a message saying my computer was in fact fine for an upgrade. I did not do the upgrade at the time, but when I tried the other day, I got the initial compatibility error message again stating my CPU is not supported. Running CPU-Z, under “Instructions” it  is compatible with: SSE2, EM64T and VT-x . (see attachment) My BIOS supports XD and CPU-Z confirms correct compatibility as required for Windows 10. At the time, looking at Data Execution Protection under: “My Computer > Properties>Advanced System Settings> Advanced>Performance Settings> Data Execution Protection” all options were grayed out. I enabled it via a cmd prompt: bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn  bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx optin The result is that I could then enable DEP this way and I have selected “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select” (see attachment) Hopefully all this solves the problem,   however  now the Compatibility check wont rerun (last reran a few days ago before I performed the above steps). I have tried the force rerun script as administrator: “schtasks.exe /Run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"Yet the checker still wont rerun. I have also deleted the files in"C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download". and then run (as administrator) "C:\Windows\system32>wuauclt /updatenow"as some forums suggest. Still no luck in getting the compatibility check working – this is driving me crazy. Any ideas why I may be getting this error, and how would I overcome it? Thanks
Hi Cass I am about to disable this in my BIOS and see if the upgrade works. Just checking that your Win 10 is running ok with this disabled? (And I assume that you have left it disabled? ) ... See more...
Hi Cass I am about to disable this in my BIOS and see if the upgrade works. Just checking that your Win 10 is running ok with this disabled? (And I assume that you have left it disabled? ) Thanks  
Hi Thanks for the reply. I am confused - I finally found the setting in my BIOS. Under "Advanced" I found "Execute Disable" which was already set to ENABLED. The Win 8.1 compatibility tool sa... See more...
Hi Thanks for the reply. I am confused - I finally found the setting in my BIOS. Under "Advanced" I found "Execute Disable" which was already set to ENABLED. The Win 8.1 compatibility tool said my processor does not support NX with this enabled.   So I decided to set this switch to DISABLE. The message "when disabled, force the XD feature flag to always return 0". Now, when I ran the Win 8.1 compatibility tool, it seemed to work saying my PC is compatible with 8.1. I am correct in assuming that setting the switch to in my BIOS to DISABLE has the action of turning the feature on that the processor requires?   It seems counter-intuitive which is why I am confused. Interestingly enough, the Win 10 compatibility checker now still says my processor is not compatible without saying what specifically is missing, so there must be something else that Win10 needs that 8.1 doesn't. thanks
I have a Studio Slim Desktop 540ST which has an “ Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q8300 ” processor. Currently it is running Windows 7.   When I tried to reserve Win10, I got a message saying that the pro... See more...
I have a Studio Slim Desktop 540ST which has an “ Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q8300 ” processor. Currently it is running Windows 7.   When I tried to reserve Win10, I got a message saying that the processor doesn’t have NX. (this is the same issue identified with the Win8.1 upgrade tool)   From what I can see online, this processor does support NX.   I looked in the BIOS and can’t seem to see anywhere to enable NX. I am pretty sure that I do have the latest BIOS.   Can someone tell me where or how I can do enable this, surely if its supported there must be a way to activate it. I really want to install Windows 10 when its available. Thanks   (I do realise the PC is a around 5 years old, but its runs perfectly for my needs and has had a few performance upgrades along the way (SSD, Ram and HDD) so I don’t really want to replace it right now.)
Dell's support seems to say I must set it as Raid. Should I do this for both the SSD & secondary HDD?
I have a Dell 540 Studio, with the latest BIOS. (Motherboard: 0M017G A00)  I just bought a  Corsair Force3 120gb SSD  to use as a primary drive together with data storage on the existing SATA H... See more...
I have a Dell 540 Studio, with the latest BIOS. (Motherboard: 0M017G A00)  I just bought a  Corsair Force3 120gb SSD  to use as a primary drive together with data storage on the existing SATA HDD (WD 640gb 7200rpm).  I have not connected it up yet, but some forums seem to indicate there is  no AHCI option on this motherboard / BIOS .  Will a SSD work, & if so what option do I need to select, assuming there is no AHCI? I assumed my motherboard would have this option. Or can I enebale AHCI through Windows drivers / registry tweaks? (or is this needed in addition to enabling it in the BIOS? Or am I wasting my time with an SSD on this system?
Thanks for the forum threda - so reading that it seems that as long as I do a "Custom install" from the Win7 DVD & format it through this process I will be ok & it will work?   Is my understandin... See more...
Thanks for the forum threda - so reading that it seems that as long as I do a "Custom install" from the Win7 DVD & format it through this process I will be ok & it will work?   Is my understanding here correct?
Can someone help me, when I call Dell I get told many different things My PC has Vista Home Premium installed. Today I received "Windows 7 Upgrade Option" & an "Upgrade Assistant" DVDs Is t... See more...
Can someone help me, when I call Dell I get told many different things My PC has Vista Home Premium installed. Today I received "Windows 7 Upgrade Option" & an "Upgrade Assistant" DVDs Is this an upgrade version or a full version, given its call "option". I want to do a clean install & ideally reformat my drive rather than install over Vista - can I do it with this version & simply boot off the DVD & do a full install. Some websites seem to indicate you can do a clean install through an upgrade DVD, but there seems to be a difference in reformatting & doing a new clean install. Not sure if there is a difference. Dell are saying if my OS got corrupted & I had to reformat, I would need to 1st format & install Vista, then put the upgrade Win7 DVD in? Can someone who has done this please let me know what my options are here? Thanks
thanks - but it is better to go for a 7200 instead of a 5200 - there i will notice a diff I assume?
Thanks - lastly will i notice a performace difference using the SATA II or not as they seem to be quite a bit more expensive generally?
also does the buffer make that much difference in terms of performace?   most are 8mb, but the Hitachi has 16mb?   thanks
Hi   I have an Inspiron 9400. I am upgrading the HDD & not sure if both SATA (i presume I have this) & SATA II are compatable?   Please confirm?   Thanks