chaosprevails's Posts

chaosprevails's Posts

Although most likely not tested by Dell, nevertheless the Intel 7260AC WIFI part works very well with the D630. ** What works: - the WLAN adapter up to 866MB/s I use Ubuntu 16.04 amd64 and it w... See more...
Although most likely not tested by Dell, nevertheless the Intel 7260AC WIFI part works very well with the D630. ** What works: - the WLAN adapter up to 866MB/s I use Ubuntu 16.04 amd64 and it worked out of the box and it is so much faster! Despite reported elsewhere, the card doesn't have issues with standby or be put or taken from the docking station. Actually, it works much better than the stock WM3945ABG card with which I had regular issues after standby. If you have issues with Windows, you can find users reporting that you should use older drivers. ** What does not work: - the bluetooth 4.0 adapter. It is not recognized. Putting the WLAN card in another (newer) laptop, the bluetooth device on the adapter shows up. This post (superuser.com/.../getting-the-bluetooth-on-an-ac-7260-to-work) suggests that the bluetooth radio is accessible via USB or serial. It seems the pci-e slot of the Dell D630 does not have USB and/or serial  functionality. I ended up using the original 2.1 USB bluetooth radio.
hello Robert, thank you. But that still doesn't answer my question: why are there trackpoint-less keyboards for laptops which are only available with trackpoint? best, Tim
Hi Robert, thank you for your reply. If the conversion has not been tested by Dell, can/could E7440/E7420 be ordered without a trackpoint? Otherwise, what is the point of having keyboards without... See more...
Hi Robert, thank you for your reply. If the conversion has not been tested by Dell, can/could E7440/E7420 be ordered without a trackpoint? Otherwise, what is the point of having keyboards without a trackpoint for e.g. E7420/E7440? If laptops without trackpoint can/could be ordered, can you share the spare parts list/owners manual of such a laptop? The owners manual of the E7440 (with trackpoint) does in no way mention the option of a different keyboard trim or a "filler" for the upper mouse buttons. kind regards, Tim
Dear Dell community, the E7440/E7420 (and I think many others) has keyboards with (e.g. 04W6PV 08PP00) or without trackpoint (e.g. . RXKD2 0RXKD2) Subsequently the upper mousebuttons (A12AN5) can... See more...
Dear Dell community, the E7440/E7420 (and I think many others) has keyboards with (e.g. 04W6PV 08PP00) or without trackpoint (e.g. . RXKD2 0RXKD2) Subsequently the upper mousebuttons (A12AN5) can/should be removed (which is possible). However, then I would need another keyboard trim covering the space where the upper mousebuttons have been. I haven't found any different keyboard trim than 29FWC 029FWC (the one with a recess for the upper mouse buttons). I also didn't find a "filler" for the upper mouse buttons. A trackpoint-less keyboard can be installed in a laptop with the upper mouse buttons still in place, but it's rather tight and the mouse buttons cannot be pushed properly any more, so should be disconnected. How do I properly convert a trackpoint-enabled laptop to a trackpoint-less one? kind regards
Dear community, I would like to max out the memory on my Dell precision by set of fours (8x4GB= 32gb or 4x4GB = 16GB and later upgrade to 32GB). The User manual says I have to match size, rank and ... See more...
Dear community, I would like to max out the memory on my Dell precision by set of fours (8x4GB= 32gb or 4x4GB = 16GB and later upgrade to 32GB). The User manual says I have to match size, rank and organization of 2 or 4 modules. And of course FB-Dimm (currently 4x 1GB 2Rx8 are installed). So far, no problem. However, there are 4GB dual rank and quad rank modules around with different organizations, e.g. - 2Rx8 - 4Rx4 - 2Rx4 I have read that the total number of ranks is limited by chipset/motherboard/CPU. When I want to max out the memory per set of four (4x4GB =16GB and later another 4x4GB = 32GB), do I have to go with 2R modules? Or can I also use 4R modules? Or could I also mix them (e.g. 4x 4GB 4Rx4 and 4x 4GB 2Rx8)? kind Regards, Tim
Hi EJN63, thank you for your input, I was afraid that the problem was never fixed. I know that the D630 is dated. So if somebody has any long-time experience with the D630 nvidia board and co... See more...
Hi EJN63, thank you for your input, I was afraid that the problem was never fixed. I know that the D630 is dated. So if somebody has any long-time experience with the D630 nvidia board and could share it here (and whether the updated heatsink + copper shim matter), that would be awesome. Tim
Hello Dell community, I think about prolonging the use of my D-Dock environment by buying a Dell D630. I know about the nvidia GPU problem and I couldn't find any prove that there is a HW fix by De... See more...
Hello Dell community, I think about prolonging the use of my D-Dock environment by buying a Dell D630. I know about the nvidia GPU problem and I couldn't find any prove that there is a HW fix by Dell (e.g. new System board revision). I know that there are two part numbers for the system board with nvidia GPU: R872J and R873J. 1) Is one of them a fixed one or suffer both from the same problem? If so, what is the difference? If there never was a hardware fix by Dell, does it make any sense to: 2) try getting a system board produced later (e.g. close to september 2008) or within a specific period? 3) use a copper shim to improve heat dissipation of the GPU as some people recommended? 4) use the "new" heatsink DT785 as described here: http://www.sevenforums.com/pc-custom-builds-overclocking/180440-dell-d630-cooling-mods.html I use get a T9300 for acceptable speed on the board. If somebody has a many-years experience using the D630 with nvidia GPU and still not having the video problems, that would be a great to know. I could improve my guess whether it is worth the hassle to get a D630 or not (or get a D630 with Intel GPU - but I'm not sure if the Intel GPU is up to the task of the 3D Unity Desktop Environment on dual screen, so that's my reasoning getting the nvidia board). Usage: dual screen with Office + Internet + sometimes a Virtual Machine + (!) watching movies. I currently have a D430 but it can sputter with 1080p movies, 720p mostly work fine. The D630 should not only give me a faster VM but also a better movie watching experience. thank you, Tim