System Error Me's Posts

System Error Me's Posts

yes its version 3, it uses the CPU's PCIe lane which is faster than current thunderbolt. Ever since ivybridge mainstream CPUs have 16 PCIe v3 lanes, which can be configured as x16, x8 +x8, x8 +x4... See more...
yes its version 3, it uses the CPU's PCIe lane which is faster than current thunderbolt. Ever since ivybridge mainstream CPUs have 16 PCIe v3 lanes, which can be configured as x16, x8 +x8, x8 +x4 +x4 so the CPU itself supports a maximum of 3 devices on its PCIe lanes. It doesnt matter how many lanes the device supports or what version so if you use a pcie 2.0 device it will get 4 lanes at pci e 2.0. I havent tested but i do know non GPUs can be used such as 10Gb/s NICs for example as they require 4 pci e v2 lanes.
Both GPUz and the cable used only supports 4 PCIe lanes. so dell could've designed it not to disable onboard dedicated graphics and have enough lanes for 2 of them and thunderbolt.
Currently plugging in the alienware graphics amplifier disables the onboard dedicated GPU, im told this is to prevent driver conflicts and also as an idiot proof solution. I would like an option ... See more...
Currently plugging in the alienware graphics amplifier disables the onboard dedicated GPU, im told this is to prevent driver conflicts and also as an idiot proof solution. I would like an option to disable this. This is the first time i've experienced an eGPU setup like this as in the past i would never have to disable onboard dedicated. There are many reasons to not disable onboard dedicated graphics, when it comes to gaming most alienwares are equipped with nvidia GPUs, the nvidia GPU can be used for physx while the eGPU for rendering. I bought the alienware for both work and gaming and my work which involves software development requires GPU coding so being able to use more GPUs at the same time helps too. It was also the cheapest option compared to other laptops with similar spec and having both thunderbolt and another slot for a total of 2 eGPUs is what i bought this laptop for which would give me a total of 3 GPUs + Intel IGP which can run openCL, now i find out that using the graphics amplifier disables onboard dedicated. Other eGPU solutions like thunderbolt, expresscard and mini PCIe dont do this. I also checked the setup used, currently the lanes are using x8,x4 x4 setup on my alienware 15 so regardless of whether or not i use the graphics amplifier, the onboard graphics card is always x8. I also see no reason why it cant be hot plugged as servers in the past have had hot pluggable PCIe slots on the motherboard where you just slide the card in, no extra adapter or such. Even sata by itself is hot pluggable too requiring only the electrical to be tweaked for hot plugging. In the past i also used a thinkpad with expresscard which allowed for hotplugging of GPUs, making it appear as a removable vga device. At least gives us the option to use onboard dedicated as well in bios.
on intel laptops turbo stops working when you reach 90C, thermal starts at 100C, this is intel's own hardware implementation in the CPU but manufacturers can override this, stopping turbos at low... See more...
on intel laptops turbo stops working when you reach 90C, thermal starts at 100C, this is intel's own hardware implementation in the CPU but manufacturers can override this, stopping turbos at lower temperatures and thermal throttling at lower temperatures. I have an alienware 13 which would throttle the gtx 650m at 70C fixed with custom bios. Reapplying thermal paste with a good one could help combined with a cooling pad.