Fishfingers's Posts

Fishfingers's Posts

Brilliant answer ejn63 -and it's the answer I expected from someone at Dell.  Unfortunately for me, I'm the business owner who bought the laptop for business use, -and did notice.
Thanks for taking the time Speedstep. It's a pretty simple issue.  This win10 Pro laptop cannot connect to a gigbit/ byte capable business network and transfer files at the same speed as all other... See more...
Thanks for taking the time Speedstep. It's a pretty simple issue.  This win10 Pro laptop cannot connect to a gigbit/ byte capable business network and transfer files at the same speed as all other connected devices because it has a 10/100 network card in it.   Again, it's obsolete technology being dumped on the NZ market -and doesn't fit with the rest of the specs of the notebook.  Absolutely no reason for it given other than a marketing choice.  I don't expect to be buying (or seeing on the market) a similar spec'd laptop from any other major vendor who includes such an out of date 10/100 network adapter.  Other Dell purchasers have been complaining about this for the past 5 years (including reviewers). Back to my original question.  Why?  What are Dell thinking?
I accept your advice of buyer beware, but I should be able to expect far better from Dell on this.  I feel ripped off and conned.  Dell have had previous grizzles dating back years ago from both end ... See more...
I accept your advice of buyer beware, but I should be able to expect far better from Dell on this.  I feel ripped off and conned.  Dell have had previous grizzles dating back years ago from both end users and reviewers regarding Dell supplying laptops without gigabit support.  If I'd known this before I purchased, I wouldn't have bothered. My two page invoice and four page order acknowledgment make no mention of 10/100 network support (or gigabit), yet a LAN port is clearly visible.  Why should I have to go hunting on a website for a simple gigabit specification on a Win10 Pro laptop sold in 2017? If anything, Dell's marketing should say "Designed for the real world", "With high end features (except gigabit LAN)".  If we can conclude that Dell marketing are behind this decision to deceive, then again I ask Why? Is it to save money? Is it a mistake? Is the Dell marketing department not across the current laptop hardware technical specifications users should be able to expect? Even your tech support agents were fooled by the stupidity. All I want from Dell is a "Sorry we shouldn't have sold you this Inspiron 15 5000 i7 Win10 Pro notebook without gigabit LAN, and this is what we're going to do to put things right". I've been buying Dell since the mid 1990s and have been well and truly caught.
Depends what country you reside in.  In New Zealand you cannot contract out of the Consumer Guarantees Act, so Dell's dispute resolution section is null and void.  I would expect European consumer pr... See more...
Depends what country you reside in.  In New Zealand you cannot contract out of the Consumer Guarantees Act, so Dell's dispute resolution section is null and void.  I would expect European consumer protection would be even greater.  In Australia, consumer rights and protections are stronger again.
Yes, they do and so does my home use NAS box, my 8 year old home use media box, the router the ISP supplied me with for free, and all the business servers and networks I expect to be able to connect ... See more...
Yes, they do and so does my home use NAS box, my 8 year old home use media box, the router the ISP supplied me with for free, and all the business servers and networks I expect to be able to connect to. 10/100 networks and hardware are old and obsolete technology. Somebody explain to me Dell's rational for putting this hardware into a laptop designed for the real world with high end features.  There is no valid or sensible reason for this type of behavior.  It's nothing short of dumping old technology onto customers who should be able to expect current technology when they buy a new laptop.
I hope you get a resolution.  Otherwise take them to court.  Look at their advertising.  You've clearly used your hinge 20,001 times. Taken straight off their website advertising Inspirons today. ... See more...
I hope you get a resolution.  Otherwise take them to court.  Look at their advertising.  You've clearly used your hinge 20,001 times. Taken straight off their website advertising Inspirons today. Designed for the real world — because that's where life happens. We want you to love your new PC for years to come. That's why we test Inspiron laptops for reliability not just in the places where you expect it, but for the open road ahead. Turn up the heat: From locker rooms to locked cars, we test Inspiron laptops for survival in harsh short-term heat conditions of up to 65°C/149°F. Everything hinges on it: We test Inspiron laptop hinges to ensure they still feel tight, even after opening and closing the lid 20,000 times.
I've been caught too.  Totally unacceptable for a win10 Pro machine to be sold with a 10/100 card, especially with a DDR4 supporting motherboard and latest i7 CPU and SSD.  BOTTLENECK! en.community... See more...
I've been caught too.  Totally unacceptable for a win10 Pro machine to be sold with a 10/100 card, especially with a DDR4 supporting motherboard and latest i7 CPU and SSD.  BOTTLENECK! en.community.dell.com/.../20982085 Dell's talk of their consumer level systems not supporting gigabit LAN is out of touch and old fashioned.
It seems Dell's gigabit LAN problem with their laptops still hasn't gone away by 2017. en.community.dell.com/.../20982085 Can anyone give a valid reason why this would still be the case?
5567 "Designed for the real world", "With high end features".  Back to my original question.  What is Dell thinking? There must be some reason for it.  This gigabit lan problem has been highlighted t... See more...
5567 "Designed for the real world", "With high end features".  Back to my original question.  What is Dell thinking? There must be some reason for it.  This gigabit lan problem has been highlighted to Dell before. In 2012 en.community.dell.com/.../19472763 In 2014 www.pcworld.com/.../dell-inspiron-15-5000-series-review-this-15-inch-notebook-disappoints.html In 2017 New Zealand is well into rolling out ultra fast broadband to home users.  Yet Dell is selling laptops with old sub standard LAN hardware that will barely cope with a home user's network requirements. Is the LAN card part of a motherboard that supports DDR4 RAM, or is it a device that has been added to the motherboard to save Dell $4.00, and really disappoint the customer who thinks they're buying a current featured new laptop?
Absolute rubbish. This laptop has all current higher than average specs. Yet has a network card spec'd from the mid 1990s. Even home users have been sent free gigabyte capable routers by their ISPS f... See more...
Absolute rubbish. This laptop has all current higher than average specs. Yet has a network card spec'd from the mid 1990s. Even home users have been sent free gigabyte capable routers by their ISPS for the past 5 years. A win10 pro machine is for business use and there are no businesses operating on 10/100 network speeds that I know of.
Its a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller.  I understand an ultrabook not having an ethernet port, but why even bother putting a 10/100 network card into such a high spec'd full size laptop?   The cost... See more...
Its a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller.  I understand an ultrabook not having an ethernet port, but why even bother putting a 10/100 network card into such a high spec'd full size laptop?   The cost would be the same, and the issue was big enough to have multiple Dell tech support agents trying to update drivers and contact Realtek over the problem. I can't see any reason why a current manufacturer would go to the trouble of including a LAN port if it doesn't even support network network speeds that have been around since 1999. Is this a stuff up on Dell's part, or is it just a nasty plan to really aggravate customers?  It can't be a money saving reason.  What motherboard manufacturer would still be making boards that only support 10/100?  Dell can only be dumping old technology.  Full refund on this.
I am absolutely wild.   Just bought an Inspiron 15 5000 with the very latest 7th gen i7 CPU, DDR4 ram, 4Gb DDR5 R7 video, SSD, full HD LED, Win10 Pro.  Spent over 2hrs on phone with tech support tr... See more...
I am absolutely wild.   Just bought an Inspiron 15 5000 with the very latest 7th gen i7 CPU, DDR4 ram, 4Gb DDR5 R7 video, SSD, full HD LED, Win10 Pro.  Spent over 2hrs on phone with tech support trying to get the LAN card to recognise 1Gb LAN, updating drivers, rolling back drivers etc. Have now been informed the LAN card only supports 10/100 Mbps.  What on earth are you thinking Dell?  Even the Dell tech support guy has said it's like putting a bad engine into a Ferrari.  He was floored.  What are you doing Dell?  is NZ a dumping ground for obsolete hardware?  It's 2017, not 2010.  Since when have I had to ask about a laptop LAN speed capability?  Not for at least 5 years, until now.  Arrrgh.  How can you do this to me Dell?  What is going on? I shake my head.  Since when have you been selling laptops that don't support Gigabyte LAN?  Even the $200 Dell I bought 5 yrs ago supported Gb LAN.  Clearly not fit for purpose.  Do you have a pile of motherboards that your trying to flog off to unsuspecting customers?  Come on.