JWeland's Posts

JWeland's Posts

Isn't there something inherently wrong and dangerous about giving a physical Windows host access to the shared ESX LUNs?
I am trying to prepare for VADP backups and need clarification on the VADP Proxy Server requirments listed in the NetWorker VMware Integration Guide.  I am planning on using a physical storage no... See more...
I am trying to prepare for VADP backups and need clarification on the VADP Proxy Server requirments listed in the NetWorker VMware Integration Guide.  I am planning on using a physical storage node as the VADP Proxy. NetWorker VMware Integration Guide states: The VADP proxy server needs to be connected to the vCenter Server managing the ESX Server cluster. It also needs to be connected to the ESX Server system. What does "needs to be connected to the vCenter Server" mean? What does "needs to be connected to the ESX Server system" mean? Virtualization is configured within the NMC.  Does that fill these requirements? The VADP proxy host must have access to all LUNs on the ESX server that is hosting the virtual machines I have multiple ESX servers (ESXi 4.1) that boot-from-SAN, all sharing multiple CLARiiON LUNs.  Each ESX server has its own Unisphere storage group and all ESX shared LUNs are in each ESX server storage group. Does this mean I have to add all the shared ESX LUNs to a storage group with the VADP Proxy Server? Thanks. Joe
That makes more sense - thanks for the correction.
I have an NS-480 Unified system (CX4-480) with over 160 MetaLUNs comprised of over 400 components.  I've enabled and created the FAST Cache, but since the MetaLUNs were created prior to creating ... See more...
I have an NS-480 Unified system (CX4-480) with over 160 MetaLUNs comprised of over 400 components.  I've enabled and created the FAST Cache, but since the MetaLUNs were created prior to creating the FAST Cache, it has to be enabled at the component LUN level.  Does anyone know of a simple way to accomplish this in Unisphere?  I'm not very good with the CLI but am willing to try if it will save me a couple thousand clicks.  Thanks in advance, any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks JPS.  Found the info in the best practices document - I had looked there prior to posting but missed it somehow.  I hadn't yet considered that a pool is assigned to an SP, I will most like... See more...
Thanks JPS.  Found the info in the best practices document - I had looked there prior to posting but missed it somehow.  I hadn't yet considered that a pool is assigned to an SP, I will most likely be going with at least two pools based on FC disk capacity.
Should I mix FC400 and FC600 disks in a Pool? I have a mix of FC400 and FC600 drives in my NS-480 Unified array.  I am planning a migration from traditional RAID groups and MetaLUNs to FAST Po... See more...
Should I mix FC400 and FC600 disks in a Pool? I have a mix of FC400 and FC600 drives in my NS-480 Unified array.  I am planning a migration from traditional RAID groups and MetaLUNs to FAST Pool(s).  All of my FC400 disks are currently allocated, so the FAST pool will initially contain (only) FC600 disks along with SATA and EFD.  When I migrate the MetaLUNs out of the RAID groups into the Pool I will reclaim the FC400 disks.  Would it be better to create a separate pool containing the FC400 disks rather than adding them to the pool that already contains FC600 disks?