kevintobrien's Posts

kevintobrien's Posts

I understand that laptop batteries have a limited life, and that they generally lose the ability to hold a full charge after about 2 years. If that is what happened to me, I would accept it. I would ... See more...
I understand that laptop batteries have a limited life, and that they generally lose the ability to hold a full charge after about 2 years. If that is what happened to me, I would accept it. I would still be able to use my laptop indefinitely even though it wouldn't hold a charge for as many hours. And I could use it plugged in. But that's not what happened to me. What happened to me is that my battery swelled. It warped my keyboard causing some keys to not function, and it caused my touchpad to completely stop working. It made my laptop unusable. This is a defective battery. They are not supposed to swell. I had to pay Dell $250 to replace the battery. And I think I'm going to have to do this every 2 years. I'm very unhappy.
My XPS 13 (9343) battery swelled about 2 years after purchase. It warped the keyboard, and stopped the touchpad from working. Dell told me they are replacing the battery for free for a different m... See more...
My XPS 13 (9343) battery swelled about 2 years after purchase. It warped the keyboard, and stopped the touchpad from working. Dell told me they are replacing the battery for free for a different model of XPS 13 that swelled because that battery is defective, but they said the battery for the 9343 model is not defective even though it had the exact same problem, so they are not replacing batteries for the 9343 model. I had to pay $250 to have a new battery installed. I suspect I'm going to have to do this every 2 years. I'm not happy.
I also bought a Dell XPS 13 9343 about 2 years ago. Recently, the trackpad stopped working and the keyboard got warped. An internet search revealed that these problems were being caused by a swollen ... See more...
I also bought a Dell XPS 13 9343 about 2 years ago. Recently, the trackpad stopped working and the keyboard got warped. An internet search revealed that these problems were being caused by a swollen battery. I contacted Dell, and they told me that they are aware that this problem exists with respect to the Dell XPS 13 9550, and that they are replacing the battery in that laptop free of change even after the warranty expired. But they insisted there is no problem with the battery in the 9343 model. They told me they would sell me a new battery for $100 that I could install myself, or they would have a technician come to my home and install a new battery for $250. I paid the $250 to have a technician install a new battery, and he told me he sees this problem regularly, but only in Dell laptops. After he installed the new battery, the trackpad started functioning again, and the keyboard was no longer warped. I'm not happy about this. It appears that some batteries in the 9343 model are also defective, and Dell is not acknowledging the problem.