AJRIver1's Posts

AJRIver1's Posts

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a Windows compatible alternative to the Dell XPS 15 9570 (32 gb of ram, 1 tb ssd, 4k UHD Display with Touch Screen) with similar specs. It's a great machine, other tha... See more...
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a Windows compatible alternative to the Dell XPS 15 9570 (32 gb of ram, 1 tb ssd, 4k UHD Display with Touch Screen) with similar specs. It's a great machine, other than one fatal flaw which makes it borderline unusable: the overactive, incessantly noisy fans, which come on with low to moderate CPU usage. I literally can't do anything on the laptop without the fans kicking in, which almost negates the power of the computer, because when I actually have to use a CPU intensive program, which is what I purchased the laptop for, the fans are so loud and intrusive that the machine sounds like it's about to explode. In addition, the fans come on and stay on when plugged into the AC Adapter. The problem has been well documented online, which has led me to believe that this is just how the XPS 15 is designed. Therefore, continuing to swap it out for a new XPS 15 hoping the next one won't have overactive fans seems to be ill-advised. This post from another user on the Dell Community Forum sums it up pretty well: "The fan curve on the XPS 9570 needs fixing, many of the solutions outlined in this forum are too generic. Putting it on quiet doesn't work, disabling turbo boost doesn't work. I would love for a Dell representative to confirm once and for all, that opening up chrome with a few tabs will indeed kick in the fans and that the Dell fan design is incapable of handling low level tasks like this, without fan noise. The issue is so frustrating and annoying, it's reported all over the internet, you need to be under a rock not to hear about it. Yet it seems Dell engineers are happy with the fan curve as if they are astonished that something like this happens or just play it down that it's a thin laptop so expect it. Dell engineers I urge you to go to a library with a Dell XPS 9570 laptop, plug it into the AC wall charger, just use it in a very quiet environment and be surprised at how often the fans kick in when you are doing absolutely nothing extraordinary I ask on behalf of the world experiencing these fan issues, please fix the fan curve make them kick in at higher cpu temps. Just make the customers happy for once" (I can't post the link to this quote because the forum won't allow it). The excuse has been given that the chassis is thin, but this still doesn't justify the fans coming on during simple internet browsing via 1 tab. And it's not just web browsing that causes the fans to come on. Evidently, the device can't even take navigating through windows on the computer (this is without an internet connection) without the fans starting up. Among other things, watching anything inevitably causes the fans to turn on. If I'm watching something on the computer without headphones, I have to turn the volume up so I can hear the content over the fans - at this point, the sub-par speakers become abundantly evident, but that's for another thread. I can deal with crappy speakers, but I can't deal with fans that activate for seemingly no reason and that sound like wind turbines. Some people have reported the issue of their fans cycling on and off repeatedly, but when the fans of my XPS 15 come on, they stay on - until I shut the computer down or put it to sleep. Using the device in a quiet environment draws the stares of multitudes of people, as the noise emanating from the laptop bothers not just myself, but everyone within the vicinity. The fact that my Macbook Pro can handle 10s of programs and 100s of tabs without the fans coming on leads me to believe that it's possible to have a quiet computer with a thin chassis. Why don't I just get another Macbook Pro? Because I'm looking for a Windows compatible machine without having to run bootcamp. I've found the specs of the machine to be tough to find anywhere else. I'm looking for something with 32 gb of ram, 1 TB of hard drive space, and a touch screen with a 4K UHD display. (The Touch Screen and UHD display are not deal-breakers). Naturally, I also want something that doesn't have egregiously overactive fans like the XPS 15 9570/9560. In addition, I don't want to buy the parts and assemble the computer myself nor do I want to modify an existing computer. The closest thing I have found to these specs is a Macbook Pro. However, does anyone know of any Windows compatible alternatives? There has to be something out there that's at least close to the quality of the Macbook Pro that can run Windows. I literally don't care how much it costs at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am also worried that in the end after recognizing this issue, they would just say something like "It is working as intended". They will. It's really sad and quite frustrating. They act as if n... See more...
I am also worried that in the end after recognizing this issue, they would just say something like "It is working as intended". They will. It's really sad and quite frustrating. They act as if nothing is wrong with the fans / design of the machine. I now know why people pay a premium for Macs.  Ironically, in this case, the highest spec XPS 15 is the same price as a Mac.  The only solution is to return the machine and buy something else.
@Jayden_F wrote: I have had my XPS 15 9570 for 5 months now. It started making the fan noises as described in this thread. Kicking in while browsing internet. It was unusable in public. Now the f... See more...
@Jayden_F wrote: I have had my XPS 15 9570 for 5 months now. It started making the fan noises as described in this thread. Kicking in while browsing internet. It was unusable in public. Now the fan is permanently LOUD and goes up and down constantly. Makes stuttering sound. I can't even use it at home. Sounds like it's going to explode. Is there a fix for this yet? Complete junk if not.    You're lucky you got 5 months of a usable XPS 15.  All of mine arrived directly out of the box as you described.  If the fans didn't start up during the setup screen (with no internet connection mind you) they'd come on with 1 tab of Chrome and 1% of CPU usage.  When plugged into the AC Adapter, the fan noise would increase significantly.  If I opened a moderately CPU intensive program, the fans would sound like an F-16 in the middle of a dogfight. There would be times in which I actually worried bc I literally thought the computer was going to explode.  Dell and the Dell representatives have used the excuse that the chassis is thin and state that the machines are "operating within their normal parameters" instead of acknowledging the poor design and seemingly non-existent quality control. I'm currently typing this on a MacBook Pro that is completely silent, cost the same price, is significantly thinner and lighter, has over 100 tabs of Safari open as well as 10 other programs, and is plugged into the power adapter. It's clearly a better designed and better performing machine. Yet I see reviews stating that the XPS 15 is a "Mac Killer."  It doesn't make any sense. The only thing I can surmise is that either the reviewers receive machines which have been quality controlled that the rest of us normal customers aren't privy to, or the reviewers are paid to turn a blind eye to the glaring issues of the laptop.  I don't understand how Dell can correct the fan issues with their XPS 15 line if they won't even acknowledge the problem in the first place.  It's tantamount to a stubborn individual who won't take any advice or acknowledge any wrongdoing. How are they supposed to improve if they won't heed any advice? 
I've contacted Dell, who will be sending out a tech to replace fans and heat sync but not getting my hopes up... Was the tech able to solve the problem? Are your fans still always on?
Hello, Thank you for your response. I updated the BIOS and nothing changed. This is one of many XPS 15s that I've had to return and they literally all have had fan issues. Is there a way you know of w... See more...
Hello, Thank you for your response. I updated the BIOS and nothing changed. This is one of many XPS 15s that I've had to return and they literally all have had fan issues. Is there a way you know of where I can get a non defective machine? I've tried purchasing from the Microsoft store and from dell.com, and every machine has been defective. I know that non defective machines exist, but how do I get my hands on one?
Hello, I recently swapped out my Dell XPS 15 9570, 32gb, 1 tb laptop at the Microsoft Store because of loud fans that constantly stay on. On the new computer, the fans came on before connecting to the... See more...
Hello, I recently swapped out my Dell XPS 15 9570, 32gb, 1 tb laptop at the Microsoft Store because of loud fans that constantly stay on. On the new computer, the fans came on before connecting to the internet and stayed on. I currently have 2 tabs of Chrome and 3 tabs of Microsoft Edge open. There are no updates downloading or installing in the background. The fans haven't turned off since they first turned on almost immediately after the Cortana setup screen. The computer doesn't feel hot at all, so why won't the fans turn off? Why are they even on in the first place? According to the Task manager, the CPU usage is at 2%, memory is at 20%, Disk is at 0%, Network is at 0%, and GPU is at 3%. Is it normal for the fans to be constantly running with the above usage? I haven't even began to do anything CPU intensive yet. One of the Dell representatives on this forum stated that the slim chassis of the machine causes the fans to run but are they really supposed to be on all of the time, when doing absolutely nothing? Is this truly have the 9570 is designed? I've even tried closing everything and letting my computer sit idly, and they still don't turn off. What could possibly be going on? I know this cant be right and want to swap it for one that performs correctly but the people at the Microsoft Store are beginning to treat me with hostility whenever I show up to swap out the machine.
I don't think there's a fix for it.  You just have to be lucky enough to receive a unit that doesn't have fan issues.  I haven't been.
  @SiddheshTiwari wrote:  Why would they launch their flagship model with so many defects This is the million dollar question.  The XPS has had the fan issue since the 9550, yet Dell has done... See more...
  @SiddheshTiwari wrote:  Why would they launch their flagship model with so many defects This is the million dollar question.  The XPS has had the fan issue since the 9550, yet Dell has done nothing to address it, and instructs all of their tech support people to state that the computer is operating normally.  Meanwhile, the fans sound like a jet engine with one tab of Chrome open. I am wondering whether there is a subset of us who are just unlucky enough to receive defective machines. Or is everyone else just accepting the fan noise and not letting it bother them? To the poster who is having their fans replaced, be careful.  The person they sent out to work on my computer made the problem noticeably worse, adding a grinding noise to the fans, then acted like he couldn't hear a difference before running out of my office  
Are you referring to the bios? Updating it had no affect on the fans. Neither did undervolting using Throttlestop. And the tech who was sent to do a thermal repasting exacerbated the problem, making ... See more...
Are you referring to the bios? Updating it had no affect on the fans. Neither did undervolting using Throttlestop. And the tech who was sent to do a thermal repasting exacerbated the problem, making the fans sound even worse. This problem wasn’t addressed with the 9570. It does the same exact thing. People must be ok with this because the Returns department at Dell claims the machine is rarely ever returned. But I find this hard to believe as I don’t understand how people can put up with such obnoxiously loud fans, especially in quiet environments. I’ve actually had people ask what was wrong with my computer, all while there’s is completely silent when handling similar loads. Yet Dell still stays this fan behavior is normal, which means the machine’s design is just tremendously flawed 
Out of curiosity, how loud or quiet is your machine when surfing the web? Are the fans audible?
@MikeKuhlmann wrote: I have the same issue.  I requested a replacement laptop and I'm having the same issue with the new one.  If this isn't solved I'm probably just going to return my system for... See more...
@MikeKuhlmann wrote: I have the same issue.  I requested a replacement laptop and I'm having the same issue with the new one.  If this isn't solved I'm probably just going to return my system for a refund. I hate to break it to you, but after requesting a replacement, you can't receive a refund. At least this is what I was told by the Returns department.
I ordered XPS 15 9570  and received it on 7th August 2018 and very first day it started freezing  After the computer froze, did you hear a loud beeping sound?  Also, did the screen ever turn bla... See more...
I ordered XPS 15 9570  and received it on 7th August 2018 and very first day it started freezing  After the computer froze, did you hear a loud beeping sound?  Also, did the screen ever turn black?
Should the fans spin even during low usage - in these chassis types they will as they have have much lower thermal thresholds. I have answered this in my response above to another customer, but fo... See more...
Should the fans spin even during low usage - in these chassis types they will as they have have much lower thermal thresholds. I have answered this in my response above to another customer, but for clarification - As a result of their slim and compact design, the cooling system has been designed to fit in a much smaller space. The two fans and heatsink are smaller and have to work harder to keep the system cool. This results in you hearing the fan more often and perceptibly louder during lighter loads in order to keep the system cool. The fans coming on and off during use is the system regulating it's temperature. Does this mean that the system struggles to stay cool even at 0 or 1 % CPU usage?  I still don't understand exactly what is causing the system to warm up to the point where the fans are required to cool it in the first place.  Are you implying that the XPS 15 is designed in such a way that the fans will run if it the system is simply turned on and essentially sitting idle?  Because this is what was happening to me.  In some cases, the fans continued to cycle on and off even after the screen had gone to sleep. I have never seen a computer, much less such an expensive one, behave like this before. Quiet mode not making any discernible difference - this would only affect the fan noise. As we have ascertained that the noise issue is most likely coming from the motherboard, I can understand now why this hasn't changed anything." Yes, when I mentioned that Quiet mode didn't make a difference, I was referring to the fan noise, not the mechanical noise. The only thing Quiet Mode does is turn the fans off for a variable period of time, sometimes as brief as 10 seconds. They resume running shortly thereafter as they did before .  
@AJRIver1  that's very strange for the system to have fan grinding noise. Is it fairly distinctive compared to regular fan noise? I don't think the fans are making the robotic grinding noise. It s... See more...
@AJRIver1  that's very strange for the system to have fan grinding noise. Is it fairly distinctive compared to regular fan noise? I don't think the fans are making the robotic grinding noise. It sounds like something else high pitched and mechanical within the computer. But it could be the fans - I'm just not sure Does the grinding get louder or faster as the system works harder? Is it only heard when the fan's aren't running? I cannot hear the noise when the fans are running.  When they shut off, which is rare, the noise sounds like it's coming moreso from the left side of the computer.     To answer your original question, fans on an ultrabook chassis will be heard more frequently and more prominently at all times. Should the fans really be running with such low CPU usage?  They run even when the CPU usage is at 1%. If the computer isn't doing much, what do the fans actually need to cool? This is what confuses me - I thought heavy application usage > CPU Usage > the need to cool the computer. I don't understand why the fans come on when I'm doing essentially nothing with the machine. You can try running the system on quiet mode to improve fan noise.  Unfortunately , Quiet Mode via the Dell Power Manager doesn't make any discernible difference.   I currently have 3 tabs of Chrome open as well as my music program (which has nothing loaded) and my fans are cycling on and off.  I am scheduled to have the fans replaced once they are in stock. Since they are currently out of stock, it seems as if others may be having this issue as well.
Should the fans on the Dell XPS 9570 be running with CPU at 3%, Memory at 12%, Disk at 0% and Network at 0%?  Currently I have 1 tab of Chrome open along with a music production program called FL Stu... See more...
Should the fans on the Dell XPS 9570 be running with CPU at 3%, Memory at 12%, Disk at 0% and Network at 0%?  Currently I have 1 tab of Chrome open along with a music production program called FL Studio (that is sitting idly and in which I haven't loaded any projects or used at all).  Yet the fans are running.  When they don't run (which is extremely rare) I hear a medium to high pitched mechanical sounding grinding noise
Hello, Was your overheating issue ever resolved? I bought an XPS 15 9570 with the i9 processor as well and the fans run almost constantly, even with a low CPU load. 
My fans are on 95% of the time, regardless of what I'm doing. Is your XPS 15 quiet without being docked?
samos1111- I can hear the fan of my Dell XPS 15 come on in most environments, including the ones in which I primarily use the computer (my office and apartment).  In those environments, there isn't ... See more...
samos1111- I can hear the fan of my Dell XPS 15 come on in most environments, including the ones in which I primarily use the computer (my office and apartment).  In those environments, there isn't enough ambient noise to drown out the fan (unless the AC comes on in my apartment). I've also noticed the fan comes on whenever I plug in the power adapter, even when no applications are running (I already changed the setting to "passive cooling" with no discernible change). Keep in mind, the fan issue has happened with multiple Dell XPS 15s, as I have continued to swap them out hoping the problem would be resolved.  This is why I'm trying to figure out whether the fan noise is by design (which would just mean awful engineering), or whether some people do in fact have machines in which they can't hear the fan in normal working or home environments.  If the latter is the case, I'm wondering whether I've just been receiving machines that were a part of a faulty batch.     skiing -  How loud was your fan when you first purchased the computer and when did you purchase it?  I've read online that some people have not heard the fan come on even once or have only heard it during intense gaming sessions.  Therefore, you can imagine my dismay when I open 3 tabs of Microsoft Edge and the fan blares to life (on multiple machines)!  Could the quiet fan possibly only apply to older models?
I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15, 32 gb, 1 tb SSD. For the price and specs, I expected a relatively quiet machine. However, the fan runs at a near constant rate, even when performing simple tasks. ... See more...
I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15, 32 gb, 1 tb SSD. For the price and specs, I expected a relatively quiet machine. However, the fan runs at a near constant rate, even when performing simple tasks.  It has even run on multiple occasions when the computer has been idle, with no programs open and only background applications running.  I can see this happening with one unit, but I have swapped the unit multiple times and all of them have had the same problem.   My question is whether the computer is supposed to be as loud as it is, with the fans running nearly constantly.  Or have I just been unlucky enough to receive multiple units with fan issues?  Does anyone actually have a quiet Dell XPS 15 that has a fan which only kicks into gear when performing CPU-intensive activities? 
robert p - I tried the solution given and adjusted the power settings.  The fan unfortunately continued to run as if nothing had changed.  This was with only 7 tabs of Mircrosoft Edge Open and after ... See more...
robert p - I tried the solution given and adjusted the power settings.  The fan unfortunately continued to run as if nothing had changed.  This was with only 7 tabs of Mircrosoft Edge Open and after a factory reset, a far cry from performing a CPU intensive activity such as gaming. The reason I purchased the 32 gb version was to be able to perform CPU intensive activities without the computer being strained. I don't understand how the fans kick in with close to no activity at all. I also checked to see when the Manufacture Date of the laptop was, thinking I had maybe received an older version before Dell had gotten a chance to correct the design flaws that many others have raised across the internet, dating back years.  According to the Service Tag, my XPS 15 was manufactured in January 2018.  This means that in 2018, Dell is still shipping out supposedly high end, yet defective XPS 15's which seems unacceptable. For those of you who were lucky enough to get a fully functional XPS 15 (32 gb ram, 1 td ssd, Touch ID) with no defects, when was yours manufactured and where did you purchase it from?