as91's Posts

as91's Posts

While pressing the key like I would press any other, the macro key #5 (next to left ctrl) on my Alienware 17 R4 popped out. I tried re-attaching it by pressing it gently back onto the bottom which he... See more...
While pressing the key like I would press any other, the macro key #5 (next to left ctrl) on my Alienware 17 R4 popped out. I tried re-attaching it by pressing it gently back onto the bottom which helped but the key is now all loose and wobbly, and the cover can easily be lifted up without completely coming out to expose the underlying keyboard.  I am not sure if it's worth the trouble or hassle to get this fixed but I was wondering that since this a top of the line premium laptop bought just last year, Alienware would be willing to help out and fix this minor but existing issue at no cost and inconvenience. Thanks.
Don't worry. Messaging them isn't going to help much either. 
Most of the essential Alienware software is found in on the Dell Support website using your Service Tag. You can find wallpapers and Themes on the Internet. You can make your "This PC" or System ... See more...
Most of the essential Alienware software is found in on the Dell Support website using your Service Tag. You can find wallpapers and Themes on the Internet. You can make your "This PC" or System Properties logo as Alienware using custom 3rd party softwares and uploading the Alienhead image, and also edit other system info using it. That should bring it as close to factory OS as possible.
To Rodrigo or whomsoever this may concern, First of all, I'd like to inform you that the connection drop problem with both the factory-installed AND also Dell replaced Killer 1435 cards was fi... See more...
To Rodrigo or whomsoever this may concern, First of all, I'd like to inform you that the connection drop problem with both the factory-installed AND also Dell replaced Killer 1435 cards was finally solved when Rivet Networks themselves sent me a replacement card directly. I've tested the Rivet card for over 2 weeks now and I can vouch for it that this was a hardware problem with the Dell cards. For similar customers who've tried everything driver-related and given up: Contact Rivet directly and give their free replacement cards a shot. Or pay up extra for getting an Intel one. Don't bother contacting  Dell about this. I've already sent the faulty Dell card to Rivet for further investigation. Now, coming to the current problem, it's been 2 months of using this laptop and it's been plugged in 95% of the time.. I have ran it on battery occasionally to preserve it. However, as acknowledged by Alienware Reps before, the ones having the nVidia 1060 and i7's that come with the 180w Power Adapter frequently switch to hybrid mode on heavy graphics load. This causes plugged-in battery drain. That and maybe a lack of a feature which cuts off charging at a lower than 100% has lead to a 10% battery wear in less than 2 months. My battery capacity has fallen from 67990 mWh to 61499 mWh. This isn't normal wear. And having contacted Dell/Alienware about this recently, I know they'll take forever to reach a conclusive resolution and won't eventually give me a replacement battery with a higher wattage power adapter to address this. It's why I got my previous case closed. But at least this would shed some light on how such problems are either ignored/maybe even planted in premium laptops for customers who've already spent a fortune to give Dell more money for replacement batteries. Smart but not necessarily that subtle. Anyway, Peace.
If you've lost your OS that came with the system, there's absolutely no way of getting it back. Don't restore anything from Dell.com or DESB because they're both horrible. Your best bet is to dow... See more...
If you've lost your OS that came with the system, there's absolutely no way of getting it back. Don't restore anything from Dell.com or DESB because they're both horrible. Your best bet is to download Windows straight off Microsoft and download all the Alienware customization and software from Dell Support
Well none of this has fixed it for me. And the Engineering team is making me go through the hoops of troubleshooting until they finally admit that this is not something that can be just "fixed" w... See more...
Well none of this has fixed it for me. And the Engineering team is making me go through the hoops of troubleshooting until they finally admit that this is not something that can be just "fixed" with a change in Router or Card Setting in Windows.
Haha we all have our different ways of venting it out I suppose. Anyway, my two cents as well having gone through this recently, there's absolutely no good that'll come out of contacting Dell or ... See more...
Haha we all have our different ways of venting it out I suppose. Anyway, my two cents as well having gone through this recently, there's absolutely no good that'll come out of contacting Dell or Alienware about this because the entire company/supply chain is just too big for their own good most of the time. I got rid of all the 'extras' Dell.com stock images/Alienware DUSB was giving me and simply wiped all partitions, got the latest ISO off Microsoft for Windows 10 Home, upgraded it to Pro, installed some AW specific things and the laptop is running much MUCH better now. Plus more free space, less clutter and no unwanted customizations which would also appear to be restrictions at times. My Creator's Update is too new for my system's good so it's been struggling with the Killer WiFi drivers and Razer Deathadder Elite drivers. But nothing that I cannot live with for the time being. Alienware reps around here, especially Rodrigo, is pretty active and courteous enough to follow up himself without you poking the stick too often. It's more than what I can expect from a giant really. Even Apple has its fair share of customer service issues. 
Tesla1856 We've interacted over my 1435 on the 17R4 dropping connections recently. I sent my system over to the Dell Repair Center and they replaced my card. It's working much MUCH better now wi... See more...
Tesla1856 We've interacted over my 1435 on the 17R4 dropping connections recently. I sent my system over to the Dell Repair Center and they replaced my card. It's working much MUCH better now with the latest Killer drivers off the Killer website, and the card is "killing" me less now. Though I have seen drops an odd or two times. I am sure now that this is a hardware + driver issue and Killer networking (if they're on these forums) need to come up with a fix soon before majority of their cards start getting dumped for Intel ones.  EDIT: The Killer drops are back after I spent some more time. Nothing changed lol
Like I messaged you, sending it for repairs and replacing the adapter with another 180w didn't help. https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/223758/boards/technical-support-1/ForumPost/alienware-... See more...
Like I messaged you, sending it for repairs and replacing the adapter with another 180w didn't help. https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/223758/boards/technical-support-1/ForumPost/alienware-15-loses-battery-charge-und…  Maybe the same solution of replacing with a 240w adapter can help in my case? I've barely used the laptop for a week and a half, and that too plugged in 99% of the time, and I have 4% battery wear? That feels abnormally high. Tesla1856: Are you aware of a battery problem like this?
My Alienware 17 R4 bought last week has an i7- 7700HQ, nVidia 1060 and a 68Whr battery, and I've received a 180W Power Adapter along with the machine. While gaming or when the machine is under si... See more...
My Alienware 17 R4 bought last week has an i7- 7700HQ, nVidia 1060 and a 68Whr battery, and I've received a 180W Power Adapter along with the machine. While gaming or when the machine is under similar heavy CPU intensive+Graphic load, the battery will start discharging even while being plugged in and start charging again when I quit the application, leaving me with less battery. This is counter-intuitive, highly undesirable and is not acceptable for the bucks I spent on getting an Alienware. I have tried plugging it into different standalone wall outlets and it hasn't made a difference.  Can you please ship out a 240W charger or take whatever is the best course of action as soon as possible to address this issue? Amongst the long list of issues I've been facing ever since I got my first Alienware - The poor Killer 1435 connection dropping performance, the unavailability of an Alienware OEM Windows 10 Recovery and the misleading information I was given about the DUSB being Alienware OEM (which basically just wiped my secondary SSD without my permission and still ended up installing the generic Windows 10), this battery issue by far has to be the worst. I'd be happy to return the 180W Charger for a better one if that helps fix it. Thank you.
I did. Waiting for you or another Dell/Alienware Rep to reach out to me asap.
I've had the Alienware 17 R4 for a week and I'm struggling to get the Killer 1435 Wireless card to function without dropping connections. The WiFi gives you the impression it's still connected bu... See more...
I've had the Alienware 17 R4 for a week and I'm struggling to get the Killer 1435 Wireless card to function without dropping connections. The WiFi gives you the impression it's still connected but it just stops receiving packets and the chances of this happening are extremely high when the card is pushed to its speed limits for the Internet connection. Sometimes I'll see an exclamation mark next to the WiFi icon in the taskbar, sometimes I won't. But the drop happens almost consistently and every few mins. FYI: I have a Netgear AC1600 router connected on 5Ghz AC which is pretty nice. I know this card has given a heartache to almost a good 90% who've got it but I was under the impression that it was fixed by Killer through their driver updates however not for me. I've tried the latest drivers from Killer's website(tried without their Control Centers, Network managers, tried with direct INF installations through Have Disks), Dell.com Service Tag, Windows Update, Reinstalling OS, Switching the Power saving settings to Max Performance in the Power Plan settings (as advised by Killer tech support) to little or no avail. And Killer's tech support hasn't been that useful so far and they couldn't find anything when they went through the Killer Diagnostics files I supplied to them. Having searched online, I see people just simply replace their Killer 1435/1535 cards with an Intel 8260/8265 card and simply dump the Killer cards. I've just connected the laptop to Killer E2500 Ethernet for the time being and it works perfect on that. Could Dell/Alienware help resolve this or send me an Intel 8265 card instead if needed? Thank you.
I wonder at what stage does Alienware make customizations to the factory WindowsOS if there isn't a factory image with the Alienware customizations preinstalled. One would imagine a giant like Al... See more...
I wonder at what stage does Alienware make customizations to the factory WindowsOS if there isn't a factory image with the Alienware customizations preinstalled. One would imagine a giant like Alienware/Dell to maintain and provide this all inclusive custom system image on the drivers page, based on service tags and not a generic OS installation (which you can get for free at Microsoft), so that you can go back to exactly how it was when you first hit that power button. At least that's what I thought before I shelled out a fortune on it. Alas! It's WindowsOS and not AlienwareOS
Hi, I got my 17 R4 two days ago and ran Windows updates, Dell Driver Updates and all that. I think somewhere along the process, I got upgraded to the Creator's Edition and I'm not sure problems ... See more...
Hi, I got my 17 R4 two days ago and ran Windows updates, Dell Driver Updates and all that. I think somewhere along the process, I got upgraded to the Creator's Edition and I'm not sure problems existed before the updates but they certainly existed afterwards. My Default Username in the C:\Users section and elsewhere was being defaulted to first 5 letters of my name, I was seeing graphic bugs in games like Dota 2 with all the drivers updated etc. So I decided to wipe and do a fully clean install using the stock image provided on Dell.com for my system and a flash drive. Little did I know this was a fully Windows 10 Home Stock image and I lost all my Alienware software swag. I managed to restore most of the software components through the Dell website (Command Center, OSD etc) and ran the Digital Delivery as well (which I felt didn't really install anything), the clean system reinstall fixed my issues, but I'm now seeing some missing swag like No Alienware logo in the System properties, No Alienware Theme and maybe more.  How do I take this Stock image from Dell to go back to exactly how it was with all the Alienware stuff when I received the system? Thanks
They still have the exact system listed on their website for purchase in the "Deals" section. And that's 3 days after my order date. Why not remove it or mention out of stock if the product isn't ava... See more...
They still have the exact system listed on their website for purchase in the "Deals" section. And that's 3 days after my order date. Why not remove it or mention out of stock if the product isn't available anymore?
www.dell.com/.../dkcwg01hbcl1 The "expired" product is still available for purchase on their website, 3 days after I'd bought one. Terrible buying experience so far.
www.dell.com/.../dkcwg01hbcl1 The "expired" product is still listed on their page 3 days after I'd purchased it. Terrible buying experience for me so far.
Alienware 17 R4 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.5GHz w/ Turbo Boost) NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5 17.3 inch FHD IPS Display 16GB DDR4 at 2400MHz ... See more...
Alienware 17 R4 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.5GHz w/ Turbo Boost) NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5 17.3 inch FHD IPS Display 16GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (2x8GB) 180GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) Killer 1435 It wouldn't look like this build would be remotely old or expired. Barely half a year old and if it was, one would think it would be irresponsible to put it for sale if there wasn't capacity to produce it.
I had placed this order for an Alienware 17 R4 3 days ago and the order status page is still saying "Order Status-Confirmed" and Estimated Delivery Date 4/26/2017 - 5/3/2017.  This raised my suspic... See more...
I had placed this order for an Alienware 17 R4 3 days ago and the order status page is still saying "Order Status-Confirmed" and Estimated Delivery Date 4/26/2017 - 5/3/2017.  This raised my suspicion and I emailed Dell Customer Support to check order status. I get a response stating that: "I regret to inf0orm you that the order cannot be completed  as one of the part selected has reached it end of life. Request you to contact our Order Modification Department to look for an alternate product"  Ignoring the typos in the response, I see that the Order Status page still hasn't been updated with this info and I can't reach the Order Modification Department on a Saturday. I was expecting the laptop to come to me on expedited shipping which clearly isn't going to happen and now I'll have to wait the weekend out to even do something about this order. Now coming to my main concern, I had worked so hard to wait for a good discount like the 72 hour sale under which I bought this laptop for that great price. And now it seems like the price might change if I modify the order. Why can't Dell just replace the expired part or replace it with a newer version for the same price? Isn't it unfair to customers to simply tell them that their order cannot be completed due to an expired part without stating what part this is and they'll have to work through the hoops to modify the order themselves which might now nullify the discounted price? So frustrating. I hope someone can do something about this here. Thank you.