atd2002's Posts

atd2002's Posts

Thanks! I'll look into a card using that chip. Any particalur brand you recommend?
Hi, Are there any new graphics card recommendations for this PC? I'm running an MSI 4350 right now. It's OK - wanted something with a little more power - I'm not running any 3d intensive games (onl... See more...
Hi, Are there any new graphics card recommendations for this PC? I'm running an MSI 4350 right now. It's OK - wanted something with a little more power - I'm not running any 3d intensive games (only Flash player games), but would still like things to move a little faster when opening browser or windows explorer windows. I'm bumping up RAM from 4gb to 6gb, also.
Any chance of an update or other input? I wanted to post asking about which chips a 570 can be upgraded with. I have the dual-core now.
Bev: Thanks again for all your help! Anthony
Bev, Thanks again for the quick reply and the info. Just to be sure - my E521 is about 2006 vintage. Does all the info here still apply (ie, generic PSU upgrade possible, processor upgrade possib... See more...
Bev, Thanks again for the quick reply and the info. Just to be sure - my E521 is about 2006 vintage. Does all the info here still apply (ie, generic PSU upgrade possible, processor upgrade possible, etc)? Just making sure as Dell can call several iterations of a PC the same name (or at least I think they have! 🙂 - with earlier or later iterations that have upgrade limitations. I could check prices on CPU upgrades - but will probably concentrate on the graphics. Thanks again for all your input! Anthony
Bev: Thanks for your reply! Would that become the power swtich to turn on the PC? Or do you some how bypass that and use the power button on the front still? For some reason, I always thought ... See more...
Bev: Thanks for your reply! Would that become the power swtich to turn on the PC? Or do you some how bypass that and use the power button on the front still? For some reason, I always thought the standard PS in the E521 was only 200/250w or so. 305w is pretty decent. Do you think processor upgrades are worth it? The last one I did was years ago on an old 386 machine! My current setup runs decently - I just was thinking mainly of upgrading the graphics. I have 3GB of RAM running Win XP Media Center - debating if I should go to Win 7 on this PC or buy a new one for it. Anthony  
Bev: Just re-read your reply to Matt and I notice you mention PS's with on/off switch. I've seen those and thought perhaps I couldn't use it in my Dell. How do you handle the on/off switch when ins... See more...
Bev: Just re-read your reply to Matt and I notice you mention PS's with on/off switch. I've seen those and thought perhaps I couldn't use it in my Dell. How do you handle the on/off switch when installing it into a Dell Dimension E521 case? BTW, I mentioned above that I wanted to upgrade my system. I have an Athlon X2 3800+ processor. Would I need to upgrade the PSU to add a newer graphics card? Many of them seem to want 300W (or better) power supplies - but would that only be relevant if I had a more power hungry processor (one graphics card mentioned that the PS rating was based on having a certain CPU in the PC)?? Thanks, Anthony
Matt: Can you tell us what you ended up doing - did you upgrade your power  supply? Video card? Processor? I have a Dimension E521 with an Athlon x2 3800+ and have been thinking of doing somethin... See more...
Matt: Can you tell us what you ended up doing - did you upgrade your power  supply? Video card? Processor? I have a Dimension E521 with an Athlon x2 3800+ and have been thinking of doing something similar. Thanks for any info!
gpro:   thanks for the info.   I am currently using the monitor at 1280*1024 - not the optimum setting (I know) but 1600*1200 seems a bit too small for my eyes. This is one of several pre-set ... See more...
gpro:   thanks for the info.   I am currently using the monitor at 1280*1024 - not the optimum setting (I know) but 1600*1200 seems a bit too small for my eyes. This is one of several pre-set modes that the LCD supports - everything seems fine - do you think it reasonable to use it at this setting?   Also - how far away should an LCD be from your eyes - I know with a CRT there is concern about sitting too close, but I'm not sure that applies to an LCD? I don't think there is any radiation emission to worry about?    
Hi all,   Recently purchased and received a Dell 2007FP - my first LCD. I have it set to 1280*1024 (not its optimal resolution, but I find 1600*1200 too small).   Anyway, I think the native 60... See more...
Hi all,   Recently purchased and received a Dell 2007FP - my first LCD. I have it set to 1280*1024 (not its optimal resolution, but I find 1600*1200 too small).   Anyway, I think the native 60Hz refresh rate is a little harsh on my eyes - according to the Dell manual, there is a 75Hz refresh rate offered at my resolution, but it doesn't show up when I try to change it.   I have a nVidia GEForce 7300LE card with the original driver installed (forceware 82.68).   Would updating my driver give me the 75Hz refresh rate or is it a misprint in the Dell documentation?   Thanks! anthonyd
HI, I have two hard drives installed along with a DVD-ROM and CD-RW. I have the hard drives on the Primary IDE channel and the optical drives on the Secondary IDE channel. Is this a reasonable ... See more...
HI, I have two hard drives installed along with a DVD-ROM and CD-RW. I have the hard drives on the Primary IDE channel and the optical drives on the Secondary IDE channel. Is this a reasonable set up in terms of performance? According to WinXP, they are all running in Ultra DMA mode (the CD-RW is in Multi-Word DMA 2). I have a Dimension T550. Thanks for any insights/recommendations if there's a problem with my setup.  
I could be totally wrong here, but have you checked your video card and the game compatibility under Windows XP? I thought I've read of circumstances that a crash in your video driver might cause a re... See more...
I could be totally wrong here, but have you checked your video card and the game compatibility under Windows XP? I thought I've read of circumstances that a crash in your video driver might cause a reboot (esp. under win XP where it's set to reboot by defualt on system crashes). Let us know if you resolved this. Anthony
I came here to post something similar. My PC is a Dell Dimension T550. Performed fine for the past 2.5 years. I've upgraded the memory (to 512) and added a hard drive in the past 6-7 months (along ... See more...
I came here to post something similar. My PC is a Dell Dimension T550. Performed fine for the past 2.5 years. I've upgraded the memory (to 512) and added a hard drive in the past 6-7 months (along with Windows XP). The other night I smelled (and heard what sounded like) a plastic burning. I turned off the PC (I used to run it all day/night except once a week shut down). It seemed OK -- kept it on last night only to wake this morning and see it re-boot itself. It's been on all day today (I plugged into a different outlet thinking that might be an issue). Anyway --- is there a way to tell if the power supply is the problem? The fans seem to be working fine. It seems stable (used my CD burner with no probs, surfed the Net, etc). No reboots or anything unusual yet. Anything I can do to check? Thanks! Anthony ------------------------------------------- moonshine32 wrote: - For the past few days there has been a smell of - burning plastic coming from my computer. My friend - had the same problem not to long ago and it turned - out to be that his power supply was burning up, so - he bought a 400W power supply which is a big upgrade - from a 250W. Do I need to go out and buy a 400W, or - is this just normal operation of the computer? - -