RFreund1's Posts

RFreund1's Posts

Hi crazyrow, thanks for pointing out this method - i was not aware of that. If one is used to something ... he might use it forever ...
As Hrvoje said, it is most likely the case that you 'mis-pool'. Do not forget that the index data is exclusively stored on the backup server. As a consequence, these backups belong to the serv... See more...
As Hrvoje said, it is most likely the case that you 'mis-pool'. Do not forget that the index data is exclusively stored on the backup server. As a consequence, these backups belong to the server's client, not to any other one that you intend to backup.
Once again - a device is not tight to any pool at all. Only in case you label it you must assign the media to a pool. I am not using the wizard - i am using the context menu (aka right click ... See more...
Once again - a device is not tight to any pool at all. Only in case you label it you must assign the media to a pool. I am not using the wizard - i am using the context menu (aka right click menu). I recommend you to do that as well as you will understand the process better. ------------------------- So create the device without labeling it, then select the device and open the menu. Now NW tries to find and read a valid label first. If found, it will display the label found. Next you must first select the pool (unfortunately, you find it below the label - that confuses users who think they must work top down). This triggers NW to use the next free label according to the label emplate. You can now modify the label (you must not even follow the template at all) and then click o.k. to start the job. However, if you first modify the label an then select the pool, NW will just override your label and propose the next available one from the 'new' pool.
That does not work. Devices and media are not bound to another at all. This is logical for tapes as you should be able to use it in any device. But it is also true for disk media. And this makes... See more...
That does not work. Devices and media are not bound to another at all. This is logical for tapes as you should be able to use it in any device. But it is also true for disk media. And this makes sense. You could even move the whole contents to another device path and use it here.
Whenever you label a media, the very first step of a backup program is that it verifies whether the media already contains a valid label. And the default behavior is to reuse/recycle it. The l... See more...
Whenever you label a media, the very first step of a backup program is that it verifies whether the media already contains a valid label. And the default behavior is to reuse/recycle it. The label template is just used for the case that NW would just need to label a new media.
First of all i am a bit surprised that you need a 3rd party software. Of course NW could do this easily by itself. Just start the appropriate number of nsrclone jobs via a scheduler or manually.... See more...
First of all i am a bit surprised that you need a 3rd party software. Of course NW could do this easily by itself. Just start the appropriate number of nsrclone jobs via a scheduler or manually. So i would avoid that code just to eliminate a potential problem. NW deals with 2 attributes - the volume name and the volume ID (the number you see). Years ago NW would even allow media with the same volume name but a differen VolID. If you are unsure whether the barcode and the volume match you can also start an inventory for certain tapes and set the option 'Force load and verify labels'. Otherwise NW will by default only rely on the barcode labels. This is how you should fix inventory problems. The 'location' field should not be touched although it is possible to do that. However, in this case, you will pretend that the volume is inaccessible for NW. BTW - When you import (deposit) a tape, NW will automatically set the location to the name of the jbox to ensure accessibility. I cannot explain the CDI errors yet.
Do you work with 'Auto Media Management' (AMM) at all? If so, you give full control to NetWorker. If you want to override AMM and control a device manually, you must disable AMM first.
'In use' has two meanings:   - The media could be in use   - If you run the task too early after creating the device, you may also see the issue. Just retry a little bit later.
It is just following templates. Please override the defualt with the label of your choice.
Of course you are right. Looking through my files i verified that we used to alter the location to prevent general access to the tapes and to prevent accidental relabeling. Nothing else. Sorr... See more...
Of course you are right. Looking through my files i verified that we used to alter the location to prevent general access to the tapes and to prevent accidental relabeling. Nothing else. Sorry for the confusion.
There is no need for special solutions. Here's what i recommend:   - Specify an incremental automatic backup for this directory as usual.   - Setup the scheduler to run "savegrp -v -G <groupnam... See more...
There is no need for special solutions. Here's what i recommend:   - Specify an incremental automatic backup for this directory as usual.   - Setup the scheduler to run "savegrp -v -G <groupname>"         You will see the filenames in the appropriate logs (savegrp.log).         You may of course also sent email notification to the user.
You are correct - as the server is also a storage node, this package is included (the selection screen is somehow misleading). O.K. - so this is a single server with no remote storage nodes. ... See more...
You are correct - as the server is also a storage node, this package is included (the selection screen is somehow misleading). O.K. - so this is a single server with no remote storage nodes. No, the rights should not be an issue because the services use the SYSTEM account. As we don't know how you configured your device, it is hard to say what is going wrong. To avoid an potential issue, may i suggest that you define the device the old-fashined way without the wizard. Just state:    Name:  <absolute_path_name_to_your_directory>    Device access information  <absolute_path_name_to_your_directory>    Media type: adv_file That's it. This should define your new device. Then label it and off you go ...
If on Windows, yes, it is a service which you also can restart via the command line:   net stop nsrexecd   net start nsrexecd On UNIX/Linux you should run   /etc/init.d/networker stop   /e... See more...
If on Windows, yes, it is a service which you also can restart via the command line:   net stop nsrexecd   net start nsrexecd On UNIX/Linux you should run   /etc/init.d/networker stop   /etc/init.d/networker start
Assuming the storage node software is installed, make sure that this machines listens to the right NW server. Verify that the file ..\nsr\res\server has the correct entry listed. If you have ... See more...
Assuming the storage node software is installed, make sure that this machines listens to the right NW server. Verify that the file ..\nsr\res\server has the correct entry listed. If you have to edit the file, you must restart the NW client listener (nsrexecd) to 'register' the change.
The NW server in fact checks the name resolution/connectivy to all clients and SNs when it starts. For test purposes i restored the mm and the res directory to a VM test system and restarted the ... See more...
The NW server in fact checks the name resolution/connectivy to all clients and SNs when it starts. For test purposes i restored the mm and the res directory to a VM test system and restarted the daemons. On this small VM, it took about 30mins for the NW server to 'become available' just because it has about 500 clients which he could not reach. The behavior is fine - i appreciate it in general. The only complaint is that the program could be a bit more chatty at this point. You do not see anything unless you look at the daemon.raw file or start the server manually (not as a service, with added verbosity).
A short test revealed that it is the sequence which matters: recover -s nsrwin -c nsrwin -I c:\users\administrator\selective_restore.out -d c:\restore  -a should work.
I use the following powershell function to create a file: function touch {set-content -path ($args[0]) -value ($null) } To use it just run $outfile = "filename.txt" touch $outfile G... See more...
I use the following powershell function to create a file: function touch {set-content -path ($args[0]) -value ($null) } To use it just run $outfile = "filename.txt" touch $outfile Good luck.
Hello Johan, i am just trying to convince you to use the standard NW DR procedure which has been used for more than 20 years now. Basically, it will do the same what you want to achieve by cop... See more...
Hello Johan, i am just trying to convince you to use the standard NW DR procedure which has been used for more than 20 years now. Basically, it will do the same what you want to achieve by copying the files. However, it is the supported way. The only things you need to consider are ... - same OS family - same hostname - a compatible drive to recover the bootstrap from The result is a copy of the same NW configuration and databases as before - only your auth-codes will be affected. And the procedure is very properly documented. Other things you need to do later are: - adjusting the backup hardware in case something has changed here - recovering the indexes (or just copy them from the source). As new backups will create new index directories, there will be no conflicts - scan your AFTD media (if you used 'mmrecov -N') - most likely the GSS certificates need to be renewed. Just delete the existing ones from the NW server Once again, i encourage you to familiarize with the routine. So please have a look at the docs AND test the procedure - you have nothing to loose. Good luck.
Yes, in this case, scanning is the only solution. I understood your original message in the way that you wanted to move the WHOLE environment to a new server.
As you must refer to the same client(name) why do you assign temporary ones? - they must be the same. Otherwise there would be no match betweeen client name and client ID. As the client does n... See more...
As you must refer to the same client(name) why do you assign temporary ones? - they must be the same. Otherwise there would be no match betweeen client name and client ID. As the client does not exist, i would start the recover job from the NW server. BTW - if you have to do this for a lot of clients, it would have been easier to use the same name für the NW server and to run the DR routime (mmrecov). Then delete the unnecessray info (save sets and client file indexes).