Menno1's Posts

Menno1's Posts

We have VRA and currently testing with it. We also have ViPR SRM in place... that monitors the vcenters, but not "purely" the vxrail mangers. Just a quick hardware / health overview. Not sure if ... See more...
We have VRA and currently testing with it. We also have ViPR SRM in place... that monitors the vcenters, but not "purely" the vxrail mangers. Just a quick hardware / health overview. Not sure if a product enhancement request will help here?
People, Our VXrail install base is growing... 80 nodes and counting... we currently have 7 VXrail managers running. we have "sexigraf" for a quick monitoring on a screen, very nice. But... ... See more...
People, Our VXrail install base is growing... 80 nodes and counting... we currently have 7 VXrail managers running. we have "sexigraf" for a quick monitoring on a screen, very nice. But... each morning our operational job is to login to every VXrail Manager to quickly verify health.... that takes time. we just ordered another four Vxrail clusters, so we will get 11 Vxrail managers.... checking them every morning will take even more time. is there a function like, sending a health overview email, or snmp trap to let us know that every cluster is fine?? please let me know!
Andy, i have five 10gb log volumes. i want to move them to new array's. created 5 new 10gb logging volumes. but move will not work. set-log --logging-volumes new_loggingvol_1 --distributed-... See more...
Andy, i have five 10gb log volumes. i want to move them to new array's. created 5 new 10gb logging volumes. but move will not work. set-log --logging-volumes new_loggingvol_1 --distributed-devices * the error i get: couldn't find space on a healthy reserved logging device. any idea? thanks in advance!
Team, when running a logging-volume destroy --logging-volume xxxxx i get the error: firmware command error. Device is a pie device that still has slices. the slices should be removed fi... See more...
Team, when running a logging-volume destroy --logging-volume xxxxx i get the error: firmware command error. Device is a pie device that still has slices. the slices should be removed first. i have a lot of "-logging-RaidC" devices, which seem to be created by vplex itself. any idea how to clear these?
Guys, I will perform this change next week on two xio arrays. (pdl to apd change.) will let you know. :-)
People, We have one g-series 4 node cluster, with embedded Vcenter. The vm's on that cluster need to be spread accross two new vxrail clusters. 4 e-series nodes each. (need to move them ... See more...
People, We have one g-series 4 node cluster, with embedded Vcenter. The vm's on that cluster need to be spread accross two new vxrail clusters. 4 e-series nodes each. (need to move them to e-series nodes, the g-series cluster is going to be wiped and re-used for test purposes) what is the right migration method? Can this be done online? can we add 4 dell nodes to the quanta cluster, and remove the 4 quanta nodes in the end? leaving us with with one 4 node e-series cluster? if that is possible, we still need to move vm's to the second e-series 4 node cluster... any thoughts on this? thanks in advance. regards, Menno
Vincent, Thanks for the heads-up! If that choice is available in the vxrail deploy wizard it would be very nice... We ordered gen 13 nodes, but would have been able to order gen 14 with... See more...
Vincent, Thanks for the heads-up! If that choice is available in the vxrail deploy wizard it would be very nice... We ordered gen 13 nodes, but would have been able to order gen 14 with this "feature". (start with a dvswitch and upgrade this one later to 6.5) VxRail is pre-build, and very straight forward to setup... it could be a valid reason NOT to give too much options because of the nature of the product. (fast and easy deploy.) thanks again... learning every day.
Thanks Bill. We have multiple 4.0.x clusters running, and want to order 2 new clusters. Because the VM's on a non hyperconverged platform are on vSphere 6 and not 6.5 we cannot go for gen 1... See more...
Thanks Bill. We have multiple 4.0.x clusters running, and want to order 2 new clusters. Because the VM's on a non hyperconverged platform are on vSphere 6 and not 6.5 we cannot go for gen 14. (due to distributed vswitch limitations.) we will go for gen 13 nodes. thanks for you swift reply!
We had 3 amber leds on our cluster today.... re-seated the front panels and all blue again... upgrade scheduled.
Dear Members, when we order a Gen 14 node, which is shipped with VxRail 4.5.101, can we downgrade those appliances to 4.0.400? we have 5 VxRail clusters running on 4.0.x and want our new cl... See more...
Dear Members, when we order a Gen 14 node, which is shipped with VxRail 4.5.101, can we downgrade those appliances to 4.0.400? we have 5 VxRail clusters running on 4.0.x and want our new clusters also running that code (for now.) thanks for helping!
or setup your host to be able to reach both 192.168.10.xxx and the new VxRail mgr ip. :-)
Looks like I completely missed the :1 notation in the KB. oops... so when your first ESRS session is active you can just login using 127.1.1.1:1 I wasn't sharp enough to read that last bit.... See more...
Looks like I completely missed the :1 notation in the KB. oops... so when your first ESRS session is active you can just login using 127.1.1.1:1 I wasn't sharp enough to read that last bit... sorry guys. but "Discontinued?" what should be the preferred method according to you Gary-xRail?
People, I want to login via ESRS to VxRail. the cli is working properly, but I cannot get to the VNC part of ESRS. I Read this KB: 000303888 For some reason I cannot get a connection to ... See more...
People, I want to login via ESRS to VxRail. the cli is working properly, but I cannot get to the VNC part of ESRS. I Read this KB: 000303888 For some reason I cannot get a connection to any of my clusters. the error I get is: connection closed by host system. Is there a document of how to configure VNC for support? thanks in advance!
I read quite a bit on 4.5, but the external vcenter is still mandatory for 4.5/stretched cluster.
If you go to SolVe, in the "how to" section... you can now select some procedures to change things... rename: datacenter, VM folder, VxRail Datastore, VxRail cluster, VxRail VMname and more... See more...
If you go to SolVe, in the "how to" section... you can now select some procedures to change things... rename: datacenter, VM folder, VxRail Datastore, VxRail cluster, VxRail VMname and more... have a look. rgds, Menno
if you go to the old website: servicetools.emc.com you are entering an ESXi box... :-)
People, I understand the current "limitations" of the XMS, another question: When having two XtremIO clusters with VPLEX metro on top of it, both on a different site, is it wise to install ... See more...
People, I understand the current "limitations" of the XMS, another question: When having two XtremIO clusters with VPLEX metro on top of it, both on a different site, is it wise to install the vXMS on storage from the remote cluster? So cluster one is managed by vXMS on cluster 2 storage and vice versa? Or, if the 8192 volume limitation is not a problem for two clusters, can ONE vplex distributed XtremIO volume be sufficient for the vXMS? So when a cluster goes down, the distributed leg is still there to keep the vXMS alive?
Hi zanetworker, To be honest, intensive hands on is not needed. A ViPR implementation and Management training is a good idea to understand all the concepts. With that training I managed to ... See more...
Hi zanetworker, To be honest, intensive hands on is not needed. A ViPR implementation and Management training is a good idea to understand all the concepts. With that training I managed to get my certification. There are not too many "data services" questions, you should know things about: vCO, vCAC. With the course material you're be all set. good luck! rgds, Menno
Hi Kate, I just passed the exam this morning... :-) was quite good, too bad the data services part is not in ViPR anymore with version 2.2 and the exam still covers this content. Regar... See more...
Hi Kate, I just passed the exam this morning... :-) was quite good, too bad the data services part is not in ViPR anymore with version 2.2 and the exam still covers this content. Regards, Menno
You probably know the exam is now live. e22-283