rich641's Posts

rich641's Posts

I realise we have a utility to update this, my real question is when will this utility be integrated into NetWorker. Thanks
Allan When will NetWorker support automatically updating the CBT for each VM guest? Manually having to update each virtual guest is painful! Thanks Richard
This is not currently supported via the 7.6.2 User GUI. You could possibly acheive this from CLI with UASM, however I have not tested this.
Klaus Two step recovery is only supported with VCB backups, utilising VMware convertor 4.01 or lower. With 7.6.2 and VADP backups, the recovery is a single step back to the original ESX host,... See more...
Klaus Two step recovery is only supported with VCB backups, utilising VMware convertor 4.01 or lower. With 7.6.2 and VADP backups, the recovery is a single step back to the original ESX host, or to an alternative Vcentre ESX host. With VCB backups the temparary staging area on the proxy host used to have space larger than the exported VM. With VADP and NetWorker 7.6.2, the temporary mount point space utilised on the proxy host only has to be 10% of the VM. I think this is what you were asking? Regards Richard
Eric Thanks for clarifying this. One additional question: I have tested the VADP backups with NetWorker 7.6.2 and you are right with reference NetWorker graces previously configured proxy ... See more...
Eric Thanks for clarifying this. One additional question: I have tested the VADP backups with NetWorker 7.6.2 and you are right with reference NetWorker graces previously configured proxy hosts (Standard NetWorker Client license) with a Virtual Edition License. NSRLIC shows 1 available, 1 used. What would happen if the customer changed their proxy host? How is NetWorker tracking this graced license, as this does not get created within the registration view. I realise if the customer added an additional proxy host for VADP backups they would need to purchase an additional Virtual edition license. Thanks Richard
Could I please have clarification for the licensing requirements with NetWorker 7.6.2.x and VADP/VCB. Their are conflicting statement in the latest license guide for NetWorker; Licensing... See more...
Could I please have clarification for the licensing requirements with NetWorker 7.6.2.x and VADP/VCB. Their are conflicting statement in the latest license guide for NetWorker; Licensing NetWorker support for VMware The client connection license used for physical hosts in non-VCB/VADP configurations is now referred to as a Virtual Edition Client Connection license. When upgrading to NetWorker 7.6 SP2, existing client connection licenses are recognized and will be used to license the physical host. Is this statement correct? When VCB or VADP is being used, each proxy backup host will consume one Virtual Edition Client Connection license, regardless of how many virtual clients are configured to backup using the proxy backup host. This statement conflicts with the next statement below; VADP licensing For VADP backups of a VMware environment, a regular client connection license on the proxy host is sufficient. The following license model is used: ◆ One Virtual Edition Client license is required per physical host for ESX backups using proxy servers via either VCB or VADP. Does this mean that NetWorker enforces the use of a Virtual Edition Client license now? Most of our sites have been licensing their VMware virtual clients with standard client connection licenses. Will NetWorker 7.6.2.x disallow VCB backups without having a Virtual Edition Client license now? ◆ One NetWorker Client Connection license is required per VADP proxy host regardless of the number of virtual machines and ESX servers configured to perform backups by using the proxy backup host. This statement follows the current licensing methodology. Using existing VCB licenses to support VADP When upgrading to NetWorker release 7.6 Service Pack 2, the VADP proxy is used instead of VCB. Upon upgrading, existing VCB licenses will automatically be migrated to support VADP. What VCB licenses? I don’t know of any currently? Thanks Richard
Are we able to find out when NetWorker will be releasing a x64-bit version of the nsrvim binary? Is this scheduled for 7.6.2? Thanks
Thanks Eric. Well done to EMC for supporting this quickly....
To expand this original question, when will NMSQL5.2 SP2 support SQL2008 R2? This is not listed in the latest software compability guide. Thanks Richard
You need to upgrade the client to NetWorker 7.5.2 or above. NetWorker 7.5.2 was the first client to support Windows 2008. Their are x86 and x64 versions available.
David The single binary is a temporary solution until NMM 2.3 is released at the end of Jan 2011. We have a number of customers utilising this with Exchange 2010, with and without DAG's confi... See more...
David The single binary is a temporary solution until NMM 2.3 is released at the end of Jan 2011. We have a number of customers utilising this with Exchange 2010, with and without DAG's configured. The older NME licenses will be converted (Grandfathered) to NMM in the future, this is what I was told by an EMC contact. Microsoft are dropping support for the older API based backups and insisting on VSS methods. This will affect MSSQL also. At present the single binary works without any licenses, however you should have a corresponding NME or NMM license for each node configured to be backed up. I have attached the module technical note PDF which has a reference link to the binary. Make sure you get the 1.1 version of the binary, this supports Exchange 2010 SP1, it also includes some corrections to the code. Regards Richard
Thanks for this Eric.
Eric Thanks for the quick response. Michael updated me last evening with this information as well. This is great news, EMC have beaten most of the competitive products with support for SP1, t... See more...
Eric Thanks for the quick response. Michael updated me last evening with this information as well. This is great news, EMC have beaten most of the competitive products with support for SP1, this includes Symantec..... We have a number of large customers utilising this module now. Goverment Departments, Financial institutes, Agricultural Research and New Zealand's largest University is about to deploy this. It would be nice to have confirmation on the licensing requirement for Exchange 2010 with DAG's configured. i.e. If a customer had four Exchange servers with the databases clustered/replicated and the customer chose to backup all of the databases on one nominated host only. Would they only require 1 NMM license? Thanks for your assistance Richard
Can you please advise if NetWorker's workaround binary 1.1 for Exchange 2010 supports Exchange 2010 Service Pack 1? Thanks
This site has four virtual nodes within the DAG cluster, they do not own the virtual server edition licensing. If they choose to backup all of the passive databases which reside on only one of ... See more...
This site has four virtual nodes within the DAG cluster, they do not own the virtual server edition licensing. If they choose to backup all of the passive databases which reside on only one of the nodes, does this mean they only need one NMM license? Thanks
Can we please have confirmation of the licensing requirements for Exchange 2010 with DAGS configured across four nodes. I take it we will need a NMM license for each of the nodes that backups ... See more...
Can we please have confirmation of the licensing requirements for Exchange 2010 with DAGS configured across four nodes. I take it we will need a NMM license for each of the nodes that backups are performed against, regardless of how the backup is configured. i.e. Backup only active or passive databases, or a mixture of either. Their is no license information within the latest release notes for this. Thanks
I think the most import task for NetWorker is to timeline its development with other vendor release dates. i.e. When Microsoft or other vendor's release new versions of an Operating system or Ap... See more...
I think the most import task for NetWorker is to timeline its development with other vendor release dates. i.e. When Microsoft or other vendor's release new versions of an Operating system or Application/Database server, NetWorker supports it within a maximum of three months from release date. Other vendors such as Symantec (NetBackup) are acheiving this already. Windows 2008R2 and Exchange 2010 were supported "on" Microsoft's release date.
Are we able to obtain a release date for this functionality within NetWorker? Will it be released this year?
Steve Thank your for your answers with this question. We will probably utilise BCV emulation mode until it is fully supported. We tested this with Powersnap a while back and it worked succ... See more...
Steve Thank your for your answers with this question. We will probably utilise BCV emulation mode until it is fully supported. We tested this with Powersnap a while back and it worked successfully. Regards Richard
We have raised this request with NetWorker product managmeent, and as a support request. To provide extra focus I placed the request on here. Support came back with this statement; "Upon enqu... See more...
We have raised this request with NetWorker product managmeent, and as a support request. To provide extra focus I placed the request on here. Support came back with this statement; "Upon enquiring ,I cant give you a correct date however ,all I can do for you is keep you in my contact list and post the next compatibility guide" I appreciate your input over this. Regards Richard