Dimebag1's Posts

Dimebag1's Posts

I got four X200 Nodes each with 10 1TB SATA and a single SSD having 7500 SMB connections. There is diskless A100 as well (but without any use, EMC overlooked that our rusty VTL is not listed in t... See more...
I got four X200 Nodes each with 10 1TB SATA and a single SSD having 7500 SMB connections. There is diskless A100 as well (but without any use, EMC overlooked that our rusty VTL is not listed in their HCL). Whenever I start a capture the node stops responding to any new connection. With an clusterwide tcpdump the whole cluster stales. From my point of view the sizing is way to small. I made a presentation showing up the sizing is to small. They expected to push out 12.000 Protocol Request with the nodes w. 11 1TB SATA drives each. SyncIQ to the secondary site is running as well. They agreed and we added a ssd of the delivered nodes and another node to each site. Ingo
We are unable to perform an tcpdump on isilon, this cluster is way to slow for this. I cannot see anything withing this trace pointing to an error. The SR is open for a few months but still witho... See more...
We are unable to perform an tcpdump on isilon, this cluster is way to slow for this. I cannot see anything withing this trace pointing to an error. The SR is open for a few months but still without a solution. I even applied your solution last tuesday, but again without any improvements.
We are struggling to find a solution for this one. We got no firewalls in place between the isilon and the clients. There is no firewall installed on the Windows 7 clients. The error does not hap... See more...
We are struggling to find a solution for this one. We got no firewalls in place between the isilon and the clients. There is no firewall installed on the Windows 7 clients. The error does not happend on every client whicht is a miracle because we use GPOs, Central Software Distribution and Images for Windows Installation, but still the clients behave different. Allow Trusted Locations and Procteded Views is Setup like you recommended in your Blog. The error appears when a user locks his workstation with an opened but unsaved document and comes back in after 30 or more Minutes and hits the safe button. Ingo
As far as I know the use of MMC is not supported. Another Pitfall is the default ACL applied to the folder, if you did not create a folder before creating a share. The quickest way is to go by cl... See more...
As far as I know the use of MMC is not supported. Another Pitfall is the default ACL applied to the folder, if you did not create a folder before creating a share. The quickest way is to go by cli: isi smb share create --name="myfiles" --path="/ifs/data/myfiles"
I am constantly unlocking locked files due to an error we are unable to narrow down. I prefer the following: isi_for_array  "isi smb openfiles list --verbose" |grep -B3 -A3 (Username)
Hi Damal, My first guess is a problem with DNS-Entries. When a network drive dissolves usually the TTL for this DNS leads to a loss of connectivity. Do you use WINS? How do clients resolve you... See more...
Hi Damal, My first guess is a problem with DNS-Entries. When a network drive dissolves usually the TTL for this DNS leads to a loss of connectivity. Do you use WINS? How do clients resolve your DFS-Name to the smartconnect-Zone? Here is a (rather old) article describing a brief walktrough how to solve kerberos authentication problem: Troubleshooting Kerberos Authentication problems – Name resolution issues - Ask the Directory Services Team - Site Home … Check out this document: https://emc--c.na5.visual.force.com/apex/KB_HowTo?id=kA0700000004Jqi I had to correct our AD-Settings as the Isilon struggles with large security token sizes. This often happend's when you use a lot of delegation or the member is part of too many AD groups. Did you do a network trace on the affected client? It helps a lot to see the difference between a failed connection and a working connection. PS: Is there any other OS than Windows 7? Ingo
Thanks for your reply. I had issues with with isi_vol_copy_vnx as it refused to copy with the source celerra having dedup switched on. Doing a "fs_dedupe -default -set [datamover_n] -backup_data_... See more...
Thanks for your reply. I had issues with with isi_vol_copy_vnx as it refused to copy with the source celerra having dedup switched on. Doing a "fs_dedupe -default -set [datamover_n] -backup_data_threshold 0" resolved this issue. My task-chain looks like this: for all nfs and nfs+cifs shares: isi_vol_copy_vnx -full for all cifs-shares: First bulk-copy: emcopy \"$src\" \"$dst\" /s /r:0 /w:0 /c /th 256 /log:$log.txt Increment-copy:  emcopy \"$src\" \"$dst\" /s /purge /sdd /de /o /secforce /lg /r:0 /w:0 /c /th 256 /log:$log.txt I hope to have all the testing stuff done next week.
Hi oyo44, Did you find the origin of these events? I can see them with EMCOPY 04.16. Ingo
Hey Rainer, Actually I am able to slice volumes. But once again - I am able to extend a volume manually. When I select slicing I can add 10 MB to the volume. Without slicing it adds something l... See more...
Hey Rainer, Actually I am able to slice volumes. But once again - I am able to extend a volume manually. When I select slicing I can add 10 MB to the volume. Without slicing it adds something like 16,x GB. What I would like to see is - when the volume reaches high watermark - please add 4x16GB to the volume and write me a brief note that you did so. Ingo
As a newbie I am wondering why the automatic extension feature is so limit. I wish it would extend the disc by a given number of GBs instead by doubling it in a strange way. But beside this one I ... See more...
As a newbie I am wondering why the automatic extension feature is so limit. I wish it would extend the disc by a given number of GBs instead by doubling it in a strange way. But beside this one I simply cannot enable it with my SRDFed Storage - but I can easily extend it on the webfrontend - I dont get it whats the difference between auto extend and manuall extend on the storage-side ? What I get when I try to enable it: Operation not permitted. Automatic File System Extension on "fs1" requires local storage. Full Description: A file system must be built on local storage to enable Automatic File System Extension, but this file system is currently built on remote mirrored storage. Recommended Action: Modify the file system and disable the Automatic File System Extension feature on this file system. Maybe I can place an Product Enhancement Request ? Ingo
Thats it ! User rdfadmin or root are needed for these kinds of commands. Peter, thank you very very much - you made my day!
[nasadmin@cs2 ~]$ /nasmcd/getreason 6 - slot_0 control station ready - slot_2 powered off - slot_3 powered off - slot_4 powered off [nasadmin@cs2 ~]$ /nasmcd/sbin/t2reset reboot slot_2 b... See more...
[nasadmin@cs2 ~]$ /nasmcd/getreason 6 - slot_0 control station ready - slot_2 powered off - slot_3 powered off - slot_4 powered off [nasadmin@cs2 ~]$ /nasmcd/sbin/t2reset reboot slot_2 bad parameter: slot_2 [nasadmin@cs2 ~]$ /nasmcd/sbin/t2reset reboot -s slot_2 expected the slot ID, got: slot_2 [nasadmin@cs2 ~]$ /nasmcd/sbin/t2reset reboot -s 2 t2reset error: EPP negotiation failed ERR: 401 [nasadmin@cs2 ~]$ /nasmcd/sbin/t2reset pwron -s 2 t2reset error: EPP negotiation failed ERR: 401 [nasadmin@cs2 ~]$
The Dater Movers seem to be held in a reset state and the switch sees no light. Of course everything is turned on and double-checked. We just replaced the fibre channel cabeling with higher graded... See more...
The Dater Movers seem to be held in a reset state and the switch sees no light. Of course everything is turned on and double-checked. We just replaced the fibre channel cabeling with higher graded ones. I never powered down, I just placed everything to sleep - I need to get everything going again without touching the rack - because we got a srdf remote locating and it takes some time to get there. The good thing is that is has not happend in an productive enviroment. If we ever need to shut down and restart the whole thing I will keep this scenario in mind and have some support people from EMC on site The manual says only how to restart the control station or the data movers but my problem is that all those nas_comments fail to work as they seem to be placed on those missing control luns. Its almost impossible for me to nail down the problem to the root cause. The customer PDFs are really thin. I opened a call yesterday, maybe they got a clue.
Sorry for so many relys - I would add the Infos to the former post if possible. I just switched off everything to get the DM out of the powered down state. Thats how it looks like right now: ... See more...
Sorry for so many relys - I would add the Infos to the former post if possible. I just switched off everything to get the DM out of the powered down state. Thats how it looks like right now: login as: nasadmin *** slot_0 control station ready *** [nasadmin@cs1 ~]$ su [root@cs1 nasadmin]# mount /nas [root@cs1 nasadmin]# mount /nbsnas mount: /dev/nde1 is not a valid block device [root@cs1 nasadmin]# mount /nas/dos mount: mount point /nas/dos is a symbolic link to nowhere [root@cs1 nasadmin]# server_cpu ALL -reboot Error with file [/nas/server/servers] File not found or could not be created Error with file [/nas/sys/nas_errors] File not found or could not be created nas_cmd: system execution failed. Following is the set of recorded exceptions: ******************************** Thread exception ***************************** In thread Child thread 0x9F4CC68 (thread id) ******************************************************************************* ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Class / Object Routine Nature of exception Effect ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NAS_FILE file_open No such file or directory: <00000000B7BE7B88> (From FILE) Operating system error. Fail ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NAS_FILE file_open <00000000B7BE7B88> (From FILE) Routine failure. Fail ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NAS_FILE create_read_write @2 <00000000B7BE7B88> (From FILE) Routine failure. Rescue ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NAS_DB get_file_w_verify_option @5 <00000000B7BE6C70> Routine failure. Fail ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NAS_DB get_file @1 <00000000B7BE6C70> Routine failure. Fail ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- NAS_DB servers_file @2 <00000000B7BE6C70> Routine failure. Fail ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- nas_cmd: PANIC: caught signal #11 (Segmentation fault) -- Giving up... [root@cs1 nasadmin]# df Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/hda3 2063536 896592 1062120 46% / /dev/hda1 124427 8790 109213 8% /boot none 1036792 0 1036792 0% /dev/shm /dev/mapper/emc_vg_pri_ide-emc_lv_home 604736 30380 543636 6% /home /dev/mapper/emc_vg_pri_ide-emc_lv_celerra_backup 846632 65312 738312 9% /celerra/backup /dev/mapper/emc_vg_pri_ide-emc_lv_celerra_backendmonitor 7931 1134 6388 16% /celerra/backendmonitor /dev/hda5 2063504 783788 1174896 41% /nas [root@cs1 nasadmin]# /nasmcd/getreason 6 - slot_0 control station ready 0 - slot_2 reset 0 - slot_3 reset 0 - slot_4 reset
6 - slot_0 control station ready - slot_2 powered off - slot_3 powered off - slot_4 powered off
One thing thats bothers me is - how do I get this thing back on A few reboots do not start the EMC NAS Service - As I expected.
Like I wonder how to find out those things on my own.
Hello, I need to shut down the whole celerra (cs+dm) but I totally fail to find the right document. The /nas/sbin/nas_halt - command cannot be found. Does it work like this ? server_cpu serv... See more...
Hello, I need to shut down the whole celerra (cs+dm) but I totally fail to find the right document. The /nas/sbin/nas_halt - command cannot be found. Does it work like this ? server_cpu server_2 -halt now server_cpu server_3 -halt now server_cpu server_4 -halt now /sbin/init 0 Thanks, Ingo
server_log server_n helps me most of the time to see whats going on.