PS-VCORE's Posts

PS-VCORE's Posts

EMC best practice is to stay below 85% or dedupe and compressions suffer. I have been as high as 98% before I saw an actual system performance impact. Dedupe ratio and compression DO take a hit ... See more...
EMC best practice is to stay below 85% or dedupe and compressions suffer. I have been as high as 98% before I saw an actual system performance impact. Dedupe ratio and compression DO take a hit above 85%
I agree with Powershell & Python, possibly Bash shell or Perl depending on your environment
However.... If you enable CBT (Change Block Tracking) on Oracle, AND use DDBoost for RMAN, your backup windows shrink tremendously, as only the changed blocks are backed up each time, and pointer... See more...
However.... If you enable CBT (Change Block Tracking) on Oracle, AND use DDBoost for RMAN, your backup windows shrink tremendously, as only the changed blocks are backed up each time, and pointers are used for the rest. Effectively a synthetic full.
Let me take a look through some of my old terminal session logs. There's a really good chance I'll have the commands that you need to do this. Some of it is much easier using commandline, some ca... See more...
Let me take a look through some of my old terminal session logs. There's a really good chance I'll have the commands that you need to do this. Some of it is much easier using commandline, some can be done from the WUI, such as adding the hosts to the hosfile. the static routes are easier from the commandline. There is a really good chance that you are going to have to delete and reauthenticate the partner DD from the WUI, once you put those hostfile entries and static routes in. If that is the case, and your certificates no longer work, you will have to open an EMC case and let them remote in and they can guide you through the steps of creating a new key and archiving the old one. My original installation team put in the wrong domain name in when they configured mine, so my certificates were invalid from the get-go and I had to go through it. It's not that difficult it takes about 30 minutes on a WebEx If I can find the appropriate log files I will post it in a follow up to this Thanks & Regards, Paul Paul D Simpson Storage & BRS Engineer Mobile: (602)339-6844<tel:(602)339-6844> 24x7 Support: (877)348-7714<tel:(877)348-7714> Email: Paul.Simpson@vcoretec.com<mailto:Paul.Simpson@vcoretec.com> Experience the vCORE difference: Superior Customer Service & Engineering Excellence. http://www.vcoretec.com<http://www.vcoretec.com/>
Honestly, there is a free solution to monitor, trend, and forecast on your DD's, DDMC (Data Domain Management Center). Ask your sales rep or VAR about it, It's a downloadable vApp (ova) for your ... See more...
Honestly, there is a free solution to monitor, trend, and forecast on your DD's, DDMC (Data Domain Management Center). Ask your sales rep or VAR about it, It's a downloadable vApp (ova) for your VMWare environment that not only monitors, but also allows you to perform bulk tasks (like upgrade DDOS across your environment at the push of a button).  Easy to use and configure, and very informative. The official product info is here: http://www.emc.com/data-protection/data-domain/data-domain-management.htm A $0 PO is all that is usually required to receive your license key. Even if you only want to use it with one DD, the info is useful, and it's worth the couple of hours you'll spend setting it up.
Am I able to... split traffic on the network adapters Management, Data, Replication? You can split traffic any way you want to, although I recommend a different VLAN for each of your desired... See more...
Am I able to... split traffic on the network adapters Management, Data, Replication? You can split traffic any way you want to, although I recommend a different VLAN for each of your desired tasks. It does increase complexity during setup as you will need to create static routes for the gateways for each VLAN, but it ensures data flows the right way. schedule time of replication? Sure can. Preferred is constant replication, and it is changed blocks only, but you could set it for nightly if you wanted to. This assumes that you're using the built in MTree replication, and not driving replication via a NetBackup SLP (Storage Lifecycle Policy), in which case, you'd have to configure your backup software with windows and rules, not the DD itself. use shares without domain resp. DNS system? You can use shares without DNS, just as you can replicate without DNS. The DD's each have a built in hosts file, just as any  other linux-based system does. Create a host entry for each of your sources and targets with their IP address and you should be good to go. If you need to create new certificates, and you may, if these DD's have talked to each other in any manner in the past), it can be done by escaping to root-shell in the DD, which is something EMC backline support can do with you over a WebEx if needed. I DO NOT RECOMMEND you try to manipulate certs on your own, or ever access the root shell unless EMC Support specifically walks you through it. Do I need DNS to replicate??? Is there a way to replicate IP to IP? I've had issue with replication resp. it didn't work when I specified IP addresses or didn't have a DNS environment I assume due to the certificates which are needed to exchange when adding the systems in the system list.      The hosts file is your friend I highly recommend you take some DataDomain training if you have the ability to
That's exactly what I was looking for. Searching support.emc was not proving very helpful. Was hoping someone had it. Thanks very much @Nayaks
Anyone have a cheat sheet for integrating HP Data Protector current release version with a Data Domain DD620 VTL? Gotta do one next week, and have little experience on HP Data Protector Tha... See more...
Anyone have a cheat sheet for integrating HP Data Protector current release version with a Data Domain DD620 VTL? Gotta do one next week, and have little experience on HP Data Protector Thanks in advance