wryokom's Posts

wryokom's Posts

Hello, Our environment was infected by a sleeper virus that just went active, but it's been on several machines in our network for months.  I looked in our Avamar 7.2 backups and found the vir... See more...
Hello, Our environment was infected by a sleeper virus that just went active, but it's been on several machines in our network for months.  I looked in our Avamar 7.2 backups and found the virus files stored there in multiple places.  Is there a way to remove just those files from the backups, or block them so they can never be restored?  I'd prefer something simple, but if the only way is complex, I'm willing to consider that as well. Thank you, Waide R. Yokom
I am running Avamar 7.1.1-145 in an environment where I have several new Oracle Linux 7.1 servers.  Since Oracle Linux is just a custom build of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, I copied over and instal... See more...
I am running Avamar 7.1.1-145 in an environment where I have several new Oracle Linux 7.1 servers.  Since Oracle Linux is just a custom build of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, I copied over and installed the Red Hat Linux agent from my Administrator server.  It installed via rpm and registered fine, and I can do automated backups.  However, when I try to do a restore or a selective backup, I can't browse the file system so I can't do either of these.  Also, when I try to view the agent status on the server, I get odd messages from systemctl.  For example: command> service avagent status Getting status of avagent (via systemctl):  Job for avagent.service failed. See 'systemctl status avagent.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.  [ FAILED ] command> systemctl status avagent.service avagent.service - LSB: avagent    Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/avagent)    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2015-11-17 14:37:23 MST; 28s ago   Process: 2398 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/avagent start ( code=exited, status=1/FAILURE ) Nov 17 14:37:23 doc-efomsdr01.doc.state.co.us avagent[2398]: [52B blob data] Nov 17 14:37:23 doc-efomsdr01.doc.state.co.us systemd[1]: avagent.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1 Nov 17 14:37:23 doc-efomsdr01.doc.state.co.us systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: avagent. Nov 17 14:37:23 doc-efomsdr01.doc.state.co.us systemd[1]: Unit avagent.service entered failed state. command> service avagent stop Stopping avagent (via systemctl):                          [  OK   ] command> service avagent start Starting avagent (via systemctl):  Job for avagent.service failed. See 'systemctl status avagent.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.                                                            [ FAILED ] The log for avagent doesn't even show it ever was asked to stop or start, so I have found no way on these servers to control the agent, short of killing it and then reinstalling it just to get it to run again.  Have I missed something?
Ian, My system doesn't have a gui_data folder under the mc folder.  The only folder that appears there is gui_log.  I checked the permissions, and my account has full rights to the .avamardata... See more...
Ian, My system doesn't have a gui_data folder under the mc folder.  The only folder that appears there is gui_log.  I checked the permissions, and my account has full rights to the .avamardata folder and all its subfolders. To make things even more mystifying, two of my colleagues are reporting that they have the exact same problem with the Administrator on their Windows 7 workstations as well.  I'm tempted to open a support ticket on this, but I figure if this was an issue with the Administrator, somebody would have reported it by now. Any other suggestions? Thank you, Waide
Karl, I apologize if my initial post wasn't clear.  What you describe is exactly what I am doing, but once I close the Administrator session and then open a new one, the Administrator Server f... See more...
Karl, I apologize if my initial post wasn't clear.  What you describe is exactly what I am doing, but once I close the Administrator session and then open a new one, the Administrator Server field reverts to "dpnmcs".  When I click on Options again to set the Default Administrator Server, it too says "dpnmcs" even though the previous time I put the name "doc-hqbk01" in the Default Administrator Server field and clicked OK.  It does this every time; it's like it doesn't remember what I put in the Default field past that one launch of the Administrator.  Hopefully this makes more sense now. Thank you, Waide
I have an Avamar grid running v7.1.0-370.  I have the Administrator installed on my Windows 7 workstation from the install package I retrieved from the Utility node.  It runs fine, but it won't r... See more...
I have an Avamar grid running v7.1.0-370.  I have the Administrator installed on my Windows 7 workstation from the install package I retrieved from the Utility node.  It runs fine, but it won't remember the Default Administrator Server that I put in under the Options.  I open the Administrator, click on Options, enter my Administrator Server name, which is "doc-hqbk01", click OK, and it populates the server name as I just entered it.  But when I exit the Administrator and then launch it again, the Administrator Server field has reverted back to "dpnmcs".  Is there something I should do differently to get the Administrator to remember the default I give it?
I have a new Avamar 4S grid running 7.1 sending data to a Data Domain running v5.5.  I am trying to back up three Windows secondary domain controllers / file servers, which are at remote sites (a... See more...
I have a new Avamar 4S grid running 7.1 sending data to a Data Domain running v5.5.  I am trying to back up three Windows secondary domain controllers / file servers, which are at remote sites (all 50+ miles from my datacenter).  All three of these used to back up to my old Gen3 grid (which ran 7.0) without any issues.  Since trying to convert them to the new grid, they all fail during scheduled backups with the following errors: 2014-12-08 18:45:57 avtar Info <7694>: Server(avamarutil) not responding (possible network congestion?) (300 seconds) 2014-12-08 18:50:52 avtar Error <5775>: Internal Error: backtree: bad response 48df4c612d23a6d5f1af0462ea12188b95695b29 14113 ADD_HASH_DATA=2 serial=14113 seq=0 flags=R:N:0 kind=9 rsp=MSG_ERR_INVALID_PARAMETERS 2014-12-08 18:50:52 avtar Info <5726>: Aborting backup due to error (3:EXC_HFSERROR) 2014-12-08 18:50:53 avtar Info <7695>: Server(avamarutil) is back (591 seconds) 2014-12-08 18:50:54 avtar FATAL <5399>: Internal error, aborting 2014-12-08 18:50:54 avtar Info <9772>: Starting graceful (staged) termination, error reported in nbackmain (wrap-up stage) 2014-12-08 18:50:54 avtar Info <7883>: Finished at 2014-12-08 18:50:54 Mountain Standard Time, Elapsed time: 0000h:50m:53s 2014-12-08 18:50:54 avtar Info <17971>: Errors, cancellation or termination caused the backup to not be posted on the DDR 2014-12-08 18:50:54 avtar Info <12530>: Backup was not committed to the DDR. These clients work fine when I do on-demand backups, though I've never tried doing an on-demand backup of the entire server.  Given the distance and the fact that the network connectivity to the remote clients isn't the best, I expect there to be times when there may be congestion.  In the logs, it always has the line about the utility server being back around 590 seconds.  I've read other posts and in the documentation where it says that the 300 seconds is a default. Is there somewhere I can change that value to give these clients more time to re-establish a connection if it fails or becomes busy?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree here for a resolution to this problem? Thank you, Waide R. Yokom
Thank you both, sandcruise and ianderson, very much!  I especially appreciate the prompt reply.  This is exactly what I needed, and will save me a lot of headaches.
Is there a way to change the length of time Avamar allows for the pre-execution and post-execution scripts to run?  I have a job running on a Linux server with the Avamar v6.0.101-65 client that ... See more...
Is there a way to change the length of time Avamar allows for the pre-execution and post-execution scripts to run?  I have a job running on a Linux server with the Avamar v6.0.101-65 client that backs up an Informix database, but before backing it up, the database has to do a dump.  I tell the database to perform the dump in a pre-execution script.  Often the dump takes less than an hour, so it's usually not a problem, but every so often the dump may take longer.  Unfortunately, Avamar seems to automatically give up on the pre-execution script after exactly one hour.  I need to tell it somehow to not give up.
I scripted an answer to this myself.  It's not particularly clean or elegant, but it works.  I'll post the relevant pieces here for anyone else who might need it. #!/bin/sh BUADMIN="<inser... See more...
I scripted an answer to this myself.  It's not particularly clean or elegant, but it works.  I'll post the relevant pieces here for anyone else who might need it. #!/bin/sh BUADMIN="<insert email address of backup administrator>" # Search for log file of current process in /var/avamar; "Infx" is part of Schedule or Group name AVLOG=`ls -1tr /var/avamar | grep log | tail -2 | grep Infx` AVLOG="/var/avamar"$AVLOG # Check if errors exist in logfile; take action as appropriate ERRSTR=`grep Error $AVLOG` if [ -z "$ERRSTR" ] then # no errors found mail -s"Prod Infx DB backup success" $BUADMIN else # errors found mail -s"Prod Infx DB backup FAILED!" $BUADMIN fi Of course, I'd still be interested in a better solution if anyone has one.
Hello, I have some very specific backups on some of my Linux servers that I need to know immediately if they succeeded or failed, and have the postscript take appropriate action.  Using the Av... See more...
Hello, I have some very specific backups on some of my Linux servers that I need to know immediately if they succeeded or failed, and have the postscript take appropriate action.  Using the Avamar reports functionality is not acceptable for this, due to the sensitive nature of the data being backed up and other security rules I am forced to follow.  So what I need is a way for a postscript to find out the exit status of the backup that just ended and take action.  I've tried using the $? shell variable in the script, but it appears this is always zero as the postscript always processes the success path even if the backup failed.  Can anyone please help me find a simple answer? FYI, this is an Avamar v6.0.2 environment, and the Linux server is a SuSE Enterprise 11.1 running v6.0.101-65 of the Avamar client. Thank you, Waide Yokom
Does anyone know if this has been fixed or supplied in Avamar 6.0?  I'm still running 5.0, and my company isn't interested in upgrading unless there is compelling reason to.  If this is available... See more...
Does anyone know if this has been fixed or supplied in Avamar 6.0?  I'm still running 5.0, and my company isn't interested in upgrading unless there is compelling reason to.  If this is available in 6.0, then I could make a case for upgrading. Also, using the instructions provided by nickless_richard above, I can only get Avamar to search one backup at a time, even without the --label argument, and providing both the --before and --after to give a date range.  Is there something I'm missing to get it to search multiple backups at once?