KSmith1691's Posts

KSmith1691's Posts

All, I am replying to my own post just in case it helps anyone else who has similar problems. I had email conversations with Chris Mahon offline. Below is summary of these conversations and my... See more...
All, I am replying to my own post just in case it helps anyone else who has similar problems. I had email conversations with Chris Mahon offline. Below is summary of these conversations and my own research / practice. It is not possible to shutdown XtremIO Cluster cleanly without XMS. In our case we can remove dependancy on XMS in one location by change the XMS that manages XtremIO to our remote XMS. This is a temporary arrangement so powerdown can be done. We have RecoverPoint also so the array settings must get updated in RecoverPoint. Procedure is below with IP addresses and names obscured. Remove Location 1 XtremIO from Location 1 XMS Logon as xmsadmin Change to admin Remove cluster from XMS xmcli (admin)> remove-cluster cluster-id="**-XTREMIO-****" Are you sure you want to remove cluster **-XTREMIO-*** [1]? (Yes/No): Yes Cluster **-XTREMIO-*** [1] removed successfully (Wait 5 minutes here) xmcli (admin)> xmcli (admin)> Add Location 1 XtremIO to Location 2 XMS Logon as xmsadmin Change to admin Add Location 1 XtremIO cluster by using one of the Storage Controller IP address xmcli (admin)> add-cluster sc-mgr-host="XX.XXX.X.XX" 17:07:09 - Collecting cluster information 17:07:19 - Loading data from cluster Clusters added successfully (wait 5 minutes here) xmcli (admin)> Log onto Irish XMS Gui and the Location 1 XtremIO Cluster is available in drop down as well as Irish XtremIO. Follow similar procedure to move Location 1 XtremIO back to Location 1 XMS. Following this procedure doesn’t inforce the 4,096 volume limit. This will be in place only while XMS manages both 2s XtremIO Clusters. In RecoverPoint Change RecoverPoint XMS Server to new XMS Server. In GUI go to RPA Clusters, Location 1 Cluster, Storage In XtremIO entry do the following Edit Change logon credentials to Location 2 XMS (or Location 1 if moving back). Supply new XMS IP address and credentials. Hope that helps, Kevin.
Hello All, We are running XMS 4.2.1. We currently have 2 x XMS in different countries. We have 2 x XtremIO XBricks running 4.0.15-24. We deployed 2 x XMS which managed each country seperate... See more...
Hello All, We are running XMS 4.2.1. We currently have 2 x XMS in different countries. We have 2 x XtremIO XBricks running 4.0.15-24. We deployed 2 x XMS which managed each country seperately. Key reason the 4,096 volume XMS limit. We now need to do a data centre powerdown in one of our locations. This presents some dependancy challenges as XMS is a VM. The XMS is stored on VNX8000 but we have a dependancy now on the ESX estate remaining up while we powerdown XtremIO from the XMS. I have the following questions which I hope someone on this thread can answer. Is it possible to safely shutdown XtremIO without XMS? (not emergency shutdown) Any updates on XMS and 4096 volume limit? Is it possible to temporarily move management from 1 XMS to another? Would this introduce 4,096 volume limite? Thanks very much for any information. Kevin.
Hello All, We have some dreaded AIX boot from SAN issues here in Dublin. Summary of situation is as follows: Migrating from old CLARiiON CX4-960 to New VNX 8000. Using RecoverPoint for migr... See more...
Hello All, We have some dreaded AIX boot from SAN issues here in Dublin. Summary of situation is as follows: Migrating from old CLARiiON CX4-960 to New VNX 8000. Using RecoverPoint for migrations (except VMware – use storage vmotion). Physical Windows works fine. Although they are local boot. AIX doesn’t boot. The SMS boot menu sees the AIX boot partition when selecting the LUN to boot from but then complains that there is “No Operating System Installed”. The AIX LPARs are NPIV and Boot from SAN. During first boot I reduce things down to single path as AIX often has problem with multiple paths for first boot. We have had no problems with NPIV on the CLARiiONs or indeed VMAX. IBM Suggested upgraded VIOS, POWER Frame Firmware, HBA Firmware. We have done that twice. In one case it seemed to fix the problem in another it made no difference. Being honest our AIX estate is on very old versions of everything so upgrades are a good idea in general but don’t always seem to solve the problem. Ultimately the problem seems to be a timing issue with AIX Fibre Logons. Specifically around dynamic PIDs on the Fibre Network which then confused the array. EMC have suggested changing the fibre network to WWN Based persistent PIDs. This is not the default for Brocade Fibre Network. I would prefer not change this right away as it involves fibre network wide change and on some switches an outage. Anyone out there had similiar issues? Any suggested fixes?
Thanks for reply. I have gathered the SP collects. I am looking in rpslitter.log files. Just wondering do you know of any specific error messages I should be looking for? Best Regards, K... See more...
Thanks for reply. I have gathered the SP collects. I am looking in rpslitter.log files. Just wondering do you know of any specific error messages I should be looking for? Best Regards, Kevin.
Hi echolaughmk<https://community.emc.com/people/echolaughmk?et=watches.email.thread>, Thanks for prompt reply. I have raised a case. It is SR#78987000. Good idea to check the splitter logs... See more...
Hi echolaughmk<https://community.emc.com/people/echolaughmk?et=watches.email.thread>, Thanks for prompt reply. I have raised a case. It is SR#78987000. Good idea to check the splitter logs. I will try that now. Is there any specific messages I should look for? Best Regards, Kevin.
All, I have a strange RecoverPoint Problem. Description below. 2 x new RecoverPoint Clusters (2 RPA per cluster). 2 x new VNX 5600. Some CGs defined on RP. All LUNs in CGs blank and no ... See more...
All, I have a strange RecoverPoint Problem. Description below. 2 x new RecoverPoint Clusters (2 RPA per cluster). 2 x new VNX 5600. Some CGs defined on RP. All LUNs in CGs blank and no hosts attached yet. Despite no actual traffic get these mesages " WARNING: 12 timeouts occurred during the past 60 minutes from hba_1 to 0x50060166096011a9. Possible causes: slow storage, bad Fibre Channel cable, or other connectivity issue. ; DRSITE-RPA-MGMT ; RPA 2 in DRSITE-RPA-MGMT WARNING: 20 timeouts occurred during the past 60 minutes from hba_3 to 0x50060166096011a9. Possible causes: slow storage, bad Fibre Channel cable, or other connectivity issue. ; DRSITE-RPA-MGMT ; RPA 2 in DRSITE-RPA-MGMT WARNING: 17 timeouts occurred during the past 60 minutes from hba_1 to 0x50060166096011a9. Possible causes: slow storage, bad Fibre Channel cable, or other connectivity issue. ; DRSITE-RPA-MGMT ; RPA 1 in DRSITE-RPA-MGMT I have replaced all cabling to / from RecoverPoint including Disk Array Front End Ports. Zoning has been checked and is correct. SAN Copy has been disabled as it sometimes conflicts with ReocverPoint due to dual mode setting of SP front end ports. Is this RecoverPoint Bug? Is it to sensitive? I would prefer not put replication in place without some information on this. RecoverPoint 4.1.SP2.P3(i.219) VNX 5600 FLARE 5.33.009.5.155. EMC Badge Brocade Fabric with 2 x 6510 running FOS  v7.3.1d. Best Regards, Kevin. Any info much appreciated, Kevin.
All, I have a problem with SRM discovering Windows hosts. The WinRM configures fine. The connection to the hosts is verified in SRM. When I run the LunMappingDetection.ps1 on the hosts it t... See more...
All, I have a problem with SRM discovering Windows hosts. The WinRM configures fine. The connection to the hosts is verified in SRM. When I run the LunMappingDetection.ps1 on the hosts it takes several hours to complete. The collector server logs contain the following: WARNING  -- [2014-12-17 14:05:10 GMT] -- PollingTask::addLogging(): There was an error when attempting to execute script LunMappingDetection-windows over host hostname.fqdn java.io.IOException: STATUS CODE 500: <s:Envelope xml:lang="en-US" xmlns:s=" http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope " xmlns:a=" http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/08/addressing " xmlns:x=" http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/09/transfer " xmlns:e=" http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/08/eventing " xmlns:n=" http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/09/enumeration " xmlns:w=" http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/wsman/1/wsman.xsd " xmlns:p=" http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/wsman.xsd "><s:Header><a:Action> http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/wsman/1/wsman/fault </a:Action><a:MessageID>uuid:1C304FA5-7DE6-4EAC-8902-A4CF37101EBF</a:MessageID><a:To> http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/08/addressing/role/anonymous </a:To><a:RelatesTo>uuid:46155b19-4739-437e-b63f-496e20e5a4ae</a:RelatesTo></s:Header><s:Body><s:Fault><s:Code><s:Value>s:Receiver</s:Value><s:Subcode><s:Value>w:TimedOut</s:Value></s:Subcode></s:Code><s:Reason><s:Text xml:lang="en-US">The WS-Management service cannot complete the operation within the time specified in OperationTimeout.  </s:Text></s:Reason><s:Detail><f:WSManFault xmlns:f=" http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/wsmanfault " Code="2150858793" Machine="hostname.fqdn"><f:Message>The WS-Management service cannot complete the operation within the time specified in OperationTimeout.  </f:Message></f:WSManFault></s:Detail></s:Fault></s:Body></s:Envelope>         at com.watch4net.apg.collector.remoteshellcollector.executors.WindowsHttpShellExecutor.execute(WindowsHttpShellExecutor.java:311)         at com.watch4net.apg.collector.remoteshellcollector.executors.WindowsHttpShellExecutor.retrieveCommandResult(WindowsHttpShellExecutor.java:396)         at com.watch4net.apg.collector.remoteshellcollector.executors.WindowsHttpShellExecutor.executeFile(WindowsHttpShellExecutor.java:246)                                                                                                                                                          267,1-8     Any suggestions? Kevin.
Hello, I have a Celerra NSX in Production. It has LUNs on CX3-80. The NSX replicates using Replicator to a VG2 at a DR Site. I am going to migrate Production NSX to new Production VG8. The V... See more...
Hello, I have a Celerra NSX in Production. It has LUNs on CX3-80. The NSX replicates using Replicator to a VG2 at a DR Site. I am going to migrate Production NSX to new Production VG8. The VG8 is brand new and it will have new Block LUNs on a VNX Disk Array. The NSX is mostly VDMs acting as CIFs Servers. I plan to migrate using Replicator following the procedures described in Whitepaper "Migrating data from an EMC Celerra arrya to a VNX Platform using Celerra Replicator". See this link https://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h8174-migrating-celerra-vnx-replicator-wp.pdf This means the NSX will act as source for 2 destinations for sometime. It will act as source for DR VG2 and new Production VG8. Now I do switch over. This means (old) Production NSX becomes Read Only and new Production VG8 becomes Production and read write. Do I have to do a completely new DR replication with new Production VG8 acting as source and DR VG2 as destination? I would like to avoid this as it affects the DR RPO and RTO. Any information much appreciated. Kevin.
Thanks Rainer and Scot for prompt replies. I understand that it is not as simple as presenting LUNs from NSX to VG8 and mounting there. The configuration of the CIFS and NFS Servers also nee... See more...
Thanks Rainer and Scot for prompt replies. I understand that it is not as simple as presenting LUNs from NSX to VG8 and mounting there. The configuration of the CIFS and NFS Servers also needs to be present on the VG8. They must share all the file data out with same permissions as previously done on NSX. CIFS must integrate with Active Directory Correctly etc. However if I look at page 31 of this white paper -> http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h8174-migrating-celerra-vnx-replicator-wp.pdf there is an option to migrate VDM between data movers. The context is based around migrating filesystems also however I want to keep the same array and don't have a lot of spare space to migrate filesystems within the same array. So based on information in white paper is this possible? If not why not? I could for example understand if there were potential blocking issues due to have 2 x CIFS access same LUN but this can be covered by shutting down VDM / CIFS servers on NSX prior to migration and cutover to VG8. Any more information / discussion much appreciated. Kevin.
Hello All, I currently have an NSX Celerra with CIFS and NFS Servers. The data is stored on an EMC CLARiiON Disk Array. I wish to remove the NSX and run all CIFS and NFS shares from the VG8. I... See more...
Hello All, I currently have an NSX Celerra with CIFS and NFS Servers. The data is stored on an EMC CLARiiON Disk Array. I wish to remove the NSX and run all CIFS and NFS shares from the VG8. I don't want to migrate any data off the Array. So the same LUNs will be used to store the data on the VG8 when CIFS / NFS Servers are migrated to VG8. Some of my CIFS / NFS Servers are VDMs. Is this possible? Best Regards, Kevin.
Hi Christopher, Yes I can now upload via Sahara and any browser. This works perfectly and I can see individual hosts, switches etc uploaded to Elab Navigator. However I cannot generate a re... See more...
Hi Christopher, Yes I can now upload via Sahara and any browser. This works perfectly and I can see individual hosts, switches etc uploaded to Elab Navigator. However I cannot generate a remediation report. So I go to "Reports Search" or "SANSummary" and click Remediation at the bottom of the screen. It just stays on the that screen with rotating circle. I have left it over night a number of times to finish but no report gets email. I have also search for remediation reports but there are none recently generated. Best Regards, Kevin.
Hi Christoper, Got Sahara working. I had to download the authcache.lava and place in .lava directory. I got this information from GSSD licensing PDF (page 7). However it doesn't appear that... See more...
Hi Christoper, Got Sahara working. I had to download the authcache.lava and place in .lava directory. I got this information from GSSD licensing PDF (page 7). However it doesn't appear that Sarah will run a Remediation Report in XLS format. It appears to be good tool for bulk uploaad. The elab advisor web interface will generate remediation reports in XLS format. I don't see were this can be done in Sahara. Any advice? Best Regards, Kevin.
Hi Christoper, First thanks for prompt reply. I am using latest Grab Tools for all hosts and I have managed to run remediatio reports in the past. I have downloaded Sahara however I get the me... See more...
Hi Christoper, First thanks for prompt reply. I am using latest Grab Tools for all hosts and I have managed to run remediatio reports in the past. I have downloaded Sahara however I get the message "You do have have a valid license for Sahara. Redirecting to https://lava.emc.com to request a license." I went to https://lava.emc.com and requested license. I now have "SAHARA_START" listed in Authorization String. However I still get same message when trying to start Sahara. Any other suggestions around Sahara? Sounds like way to go. Definately will not upload grabs to forums! I will see if I can raise an SR and come back to you. Best Regards, Kevin.
Hi All, I am using e-lab advisor to generate Remediation Reports. Unfortunately it doesn't generate them. The Remediation Report Screen stays on screen with round animated circles at bottom bu... See more...
Hi All, I am using e-lab advisor to generate Remediation Reports. Unfortunately it doesn't generate them. The Remediation Report Screen stays on screen with round animated circles at bottom but report doesn't get generated. Anyone else have this problem and have any idea how to get around it. elab advisor is a very useful tool for this sort of thing when it works. Best Regards, Kevin.
For HP-UX with native LVM you can do on-line 1 fabric at a time but need manual intervention and care! Page 110 to 112 (HP Hardware device mapping) in EMC Host Connectivity Guide for HP-UX exp... See more...
For HP-UX with native LVM you can do on-line 1 fabric at a time but need manual intervention and care! Page 110 to 112 (HP Hardware device mapping) in EMC Host Connectivity Guide for HP-UX explains how the special device file (/dev/dsk/cxtxdx) are generated and based on Switch domain ID, Switch port area, switch port and N_Port ID. All of this means when a switch / fabric change breaks paths to disks. However with the LVM the following can be done Run ioscan to identify the paths to disk on Fabric A and Fabric B Remove the paths from the Volume Groups using vgreduce (Fabric with change / replacement) Remove these paths from the OS using rmsf (be careful to do on correct path / fabric) Move the  Fabric A ports to the New switch Run ioscan (will fine new device files /dev/dsk/cytydy) & insf (install special device files) on the host Add the new paths into the Volume Group using vgextend On AIX this can be done automatically if you set fast fail and dynamic tracking to on. Hope that helps, Kevin.
Hi Dmitry, Thanks for great reply. You provide great information. I will flesh out my situation. We are using SnapView Clones for most our our Host Estate during DR Testing. Specifically for v... See more...
Hi Dmitry, Thanks for great reply. You provide great information. I will flesh out my situation. We are using SnapView Clones for most our our Host Estate during DR Testing. Specifically for virtual AIX (presented over NPIV - so like physical AIX from storage viewpoint) and Physical Windows we have full independant SnapView Clones for prolonged DR Tests. With the clones DR Tests can go on for as long as required. It is important to note these are full clones not snaps. However these hosts are ESX Servers with Windows VMs as guests. We are also using VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM). SRM doesn't like independant clones and it doesn't like having 2 x Storage Replication Adapters installed. SRM doesn't like independant clones as one of its features is failback. So in simple terms it wants to be able to manage both DR test / invocation and potential roll back. I know I could have SRM invoked in test mode and then clone the SRM test mode LUNs but this means a lot of the SRM work becomes manual. For example import of Clone LUNs, Browse / import of clones VMX Files (VMS) and renaming of cloned VMs in Virtual Centre to avoid conflict with Production to CRR SRM jobs. Now back to RecoverPoint. I have CLARiiON based Splitters. I will definately increase the TSP setting by a reasonable amount. Suppose I have 10 days worth of journals and I mount today. Do I know have roughly 9 to 10 days of Production Writes possible that will get stored in the journals while the CRR LUN is frozen at my mount point? This comes down to what happens to the distribution queues while in CRR LUN is mounted in image access mode. Also how the distribution queues work in general. I am not worried about a long roll up of impending journal entries into CRR LUN after a long DR Test. As long as RP can still protect production by replicating to the journals I am ok really. You could argue long wait for roll up if I have a disaster during testing but this is a risk I am will to take. Any further information much appreciated. Kevin.
All, I would like to set-up large journals for my CRR LUNs that are replicated by RecoverPoint. I would like a long protection window for these LUNs. There are 2 reasons I want to do this. ... See more...
All, I would like to set-up large journals for my CRR LUNs that are replicated by RecoverPoint. I would like a long protection window for these LUNs. There are 2 reasons I want to do this. First so I can go back in time by something like 10 days. Second I want to do long DR Tests. Again something like 10 days. To faciliate long DR Tests I will also apply a tuning to the ReocverPoint Journals. I will increase the target side processing tunings on the RP Journal. This is also called "Proportion of journal allocated for image access log" in RP GUI. The only small issue I can see with this scenario is a long journal lag after 10 days of DR Testing. I know on average even with a large journal, when not mounted in image access mode, the journal activitely gets copied into the CRR LUN. That is the CRR LUN is not behind by the size of the journal. Am I missing something? If I do this I will make the journals about 40% of the source LUN Size. I have 30 LUNs of average size 400GB. The LUNs store ESX Servers VMFS and associated virtual machines. Best Regards, Kevin.
Hi, First thanks for reply to my question. I am talking about approx 10 LUNS - totat size approx 6TB. Will confirm when back in the office. I did think of SRM in test mode and then using Sn... See more...
Hi, First thanks for reply to my question. I am talking about approx 10 LUNS - totat size approx 6TB. Will confirm when back in the office. I did think of SRM in test mode and then using SnapView Clone to do long DR Test. However I believe this will cause SRM and virtual centre problems. Perhaps I am incorrect but will it mean that the SRM protected machines will have to be manually removed from VC and re-added from the clone and/or renamed in the VC? Will this break future SRM protection of these machines? Will it mean the SRM jobs will have to be set-up from scratch again? From Storage viewpoint your solution is best but I am not sure about from VC / SRM viewpoint. You are correct I am not worried about failing the long term DR tests back from DR to PROD. Thanks again, Kevin.
Hello All, I am using RP to replicate between 2 x CX4-960 Disk Arrays. I have a number for ESX Servers with MS Windows Guests. We also have VMware SRM with RecoverPoint SRA. We need to do D... See more...
Hello All, I am using RP to replicate between 2 x CX4-960 Disk Arrays. I have a number for ESX Servers with MS Windows Guests. We also have VMware SRM with RecoverPoint SRA. We need to do DR Tests for prolonged periods of time e.g. 20 days. The DR tests for ESX must be managed by VMware SRM. For our physical Windows and UNIX Servers we use SnapView Clone to make independant clones (not snaps) of the RecoverPoint CRR LUNs. This means we can do DR tests for as long as we like without affecting RecoverPoints replication. Unfortunately VMware SRM with RecoverPoint SRA doesn't support SnapView Clones. So my proposal is to increase RP Journal sizes to something like 40% of the source LUN sizes and to increase the target side processing tunings on the RP Journal. This is also called "Proportion of journal allocated for image access log" in RP GUI. Can anyone see any issues with this? The only issue I can see is after the DR Test is complete RP will have some work to roll the journals back into CRR LUN. That is to catch-up on distribution of the RP journal images. Anyone got any experience with this scenario? Any comments? Best Regards, Kevin.