HankD1's Posts

HankD1's Posts

I found that same solution with a date of 2006, I thought EMC would have fixed it by now like they said they were going to do. All of my TDATs and SAVE devs are the same size. Thanks!
I have some devs that are in a snap pool that I want to move to a thin pool. I can remove the devs but that still show up as a save device. Can a dev be converted or do I have to destroy it?
Did you try symevent? C:\Program Files\EMC\SYMCLI\bin>symevent list Symmetrix ID: Time Zone   : Central Daylight Time Detection time           Dir    Src  Category     Severity     Erro... See more...
Did you try symevent? C:\Program Files\EMC\SYMCLI\bin>symevent list Symmetrix ID: Time Zone   : Central Daylight Time Detection time           Dir    Src  Category     Severity     Error Num ------------------------ ------ ---- ------------ ------------ ---------- Fri Dec 16 13:50:52 2011 FA-5H  Symm Device(2E6C) Warning      0x003f     Access was attempted to a Not Ready device Fri Dec 16 13:50:53 2011 FA-11H Symm Device(2E6C) Warning      0x003f     Access was attempted to a Not Ready device Wed Jun 27 15:03:10 2012 FA-5F  Symm Device(1ED8) Warning      0x003f     Access was attempted to a Not Ready device Wed Jun 27 15:03:10 2012 FA-11F Symm Device(1ED8) Warning      0x003f     Access was attempted to a Not Ready device Wed Jun 27 17:47:03 2012 FA-11G Symm Device(273A) Warning      0x003f     Access was attempted to a Not Ready device
Windows 2008 does not require disk alignment as long as you formatted that disk under 2008. http://knowledgebase.emc.com/emcice/documentDisplay.do?docType=1006&clusterName=DefaultCluster&resul... See more...
Windows 2008 does not require disk alignment as long as you formatted that disk under 2008. http://knowledgebase.emc.com/emcice/documentDisplay.do?docType=1006&clusterName=DefaultCluster&resultType=5002&groupId=1&page=&docProp=$solution_id&docPropValue=emc56324&passedTitle=null
They're not in the site spell checker.
That's the main reason I refuse to let my DBA team use the vMax as a backup device. Another solution, and in my opinion a better solution, is to purchase a small disk array or a tray of disk for ... See more...
That's the main reason I refuse to let my DBA team use the vMax as a backup device. Another solution, and in my opinion a better solution, is to purchase a small disk array or a tray of disk for this purpose. On a side note, one would think a storage company would add DBA and vMax to the site dictionary.
I don't know about the depth setting for AIX but 34 queued IO/s doesn't seem that high, you're under 2% queued. Some performance guys will tell you if you're not queuing you're not utilizing your... See more...
I don't know about the depth setting for AIX but 34 queued IO/s doesn't seem that high, you're under 2% queued. Some performance guys will tell you if you're not queuing you're not utilizing your environment.
I it possible to schedule SPA query exports to run every Sunday without having to have a entry for each run?
Please help me understand this. I have one server doing a large restore to a vMax and it's the only thing running on the array. In SPA, Host IO/s shows ~1,200 which agrees with PowerPath numbe... See more...
Please help me understand this. I have one server doing a large restore to a vMax and it's the only thing running on the array. In SPA, Host IO/s shows ~1,200 which agrees with PowerPath numbers on the host. What I don't understand is FE Reqs/sec which shows  ~8,000. and under Snapshot the storage group for this host shows writes per second at ~4,000. Why don't these numbers match up?
It wasn't too bad, the fiber dives took about 18 hours but the SATA took  3 days.
Easy question, I hope. What the best practice for thin pool on how many to have? I have 3 tiers so I assume I need at least three thin pools. Do you segregate by application type? Create them bas... See more...
Easy question, I hope. What the best practice for thin pool on how many to have? I have 3 tiers so I assume I need at least three thin pools. Do you segregate by application type? Create them based off of your disk pools? Any other way? Current environment. Tier 1: 300GB FC R1 – 1 disk group Tier 2: 600GB FC R5 3+1 – 2 disk groups Tier 3: 2TB SATA R6 – 1 disk group
I'm installing a new vMax with 950 drives. The bin file was loaded by noon today and it running the format on the drives. How can I tell where it's at in the formatting?
It depends on you IO workload. I have a high IO 10TB SAP SQL DB with 24 datafiles/LUNs that has a maximum IO/s around 16K. We built it this way from a SAP recomendation, they recomend one datafil... See more...
It depends on you IO workload. I have a high IO 10TB SAP SQL DB with 24 datafiles/LUNs that has a maximum IO/s around 16K. We built it this way from a SAP recomendation, they recomend one datafile per LUN per CPU/core.  If it's a low IO DB a couple large LUNs should work.
I had an issue this morning after trying to access a set of SNAP luns on an alternate server. After adding a host to the SNAP storage group and starting to mount the SNAP LUNs my production hosts... See more...
I had an issue this morning after trying to access a set of SNAP luns on an alternate server. After adding a host to the SNAP storage group and starting to mount the SNAP LUNs my production hosts started to have issues. Each LUN started to queue, some of them the queue was double the active IO. I still had alot of free space in the resurve pool. The only thing I noticed was dirty page % was over 90%. This is the first time we tried to access a SNAP and the source LUNs at the same time. We would normally be moving the server to the new SNAP SG for testing. Anyone have any thought?
In past experience the only time I needed SCSI3 was on clusters with file systems active on multiple systems. i.e. Veritas Clustered File System and ASM. Also, for those systems that required it ... See more...
In past experience the only time I needed SCSI3 was on clusters with file systems active on multiple systems. i.e. Veritas Clustered File System and ASM. Also, for those systems that required it had a test you could run to make sure the storage was configured correctly.
Thanks
EMC announced a few month back that they are giving away their data migration tools. I tried to locate the original article but can't find it.
It's part of the data migrator group with SRDF/DM, open replicator and others.
Is PowerPath DM free for CX users or just DMX/VMAX? Hank
Need some help on replacing a drive. I just took over a site that has 2 older CX700 arrays that are not on support. Both have failed drives. The system has drives that we are not using. What woul... See more...
Need some help on replacing a drive. I just took over a site that has 2 older CX700 arrays that are not on support. Both have failed drives. The system has drives that we are not using. What would be the proceedure to remove 2 of the unused drives and use them to replace the bad drives? Thanks, Hank