David_Hampson's Posts

David_Hampson's Posts

Thanks for posting that Elvin, I spent hours trying to figure out how to get two fields to be the node without success.  Now if I can just remember the report I wanted to do that on...!
This is stating that the collector did not gather all data due to a shutdown - did you stop either the collector or application on the backup server?
In the DPA GUI go to File > System Settings > processes tab, select the Reporter and amend the JVM Memory to a lower value and see if that resolves this problem.
Eric You need to change the properties of the report card to use the saveset name as the node name - hit the little triangle in the top left of the report then click on the gold volume icon an... See more...
Eric You need to change the properties of the report card to use the saveset name as the node name - hit the little triangle in the top left of the report then click on the gold volume icon and you get something like this: It may be what you are hoping to do is have server/client as the node; however I have found no way of combining two non-numeric fields together to make one.
The easiest way to set your proxy - in the GUI add your new host by going to Node > New > System, go to Assignations: choose Add and add the relevant collector requests for your new host... See more...
The easiest way to set your proxy - in the GUI add your new host by going to Node > New > System, go to Assignations: choose Add and add the relevant collector requests for your new host, highlight the requests, choose Edit: - then check the Proxy Host box and add the name of your proxy here which will be another host which has the DPA collector installed on it (click the Browse button and find it in the list); you may need to add a credential which is basically a login ID if you need one (click Edit to add one). After making the change you need to right click on the host and choose Administration > reload collectors To get back to the boxes above to make amendments right click on the host and choose Administration > Properties...   Remember to reload the collector after any amendments are made.
Have you gone onto the backup server and monitored performance there? As Bosadb states if you have a large environment (which you have) it is generally advisable to install the NMC on its own ... See more...
Have you gone onto the backup server and monitored performance there? As Bosadb states if you have a large environment (which you have) it is generally advisable to install the NMC on its own server which you state that you haven't done, that is really your long term solution here.  You have also not gave any details of the specification of your backup server which will also have an impact.  I've seen similar issues in sites with very large media databases so it is still worthwhile looking at the size of your /nsr/mm folder, if this is over 1GB you should think about splitting the server or reducing retention times.
Let's hope you don't inadvertently take your hat off on a windy day before the prizes are handed out
I'd agree that the number of clients is not necessarily a guide for how many backup admins are needed - some of the factors you need to consider are: management attitude to remaining up-to-da... See more...
I'd agree that the number of clients is not necessarily a guide for how many backup admins are needed - some of the factors you need to consider are: management attitude to remaining up-to-date / improving systems (more work installing, learning new stuff) management attitude to maintaining legacy stable system, avoiding upgrading (long term this leads to issues and doesn't embrace newer, more efficient ways of working) quality of person responsible for backup strategy / expertise tape offsiting policy / library capacity compared to number of tapes used nightly distance between admins and sites reliability of hardware (usually down to age as well as being overused) reliability of network (more problems to troubleshoot, more liasing with teams who are always quick to state "its not my network that's the fault"!) pedantic change management and policies which demand excessive documentation that no one reads
Hi Tony I was talking about running setups; most large installations are in a constant state of being amended as new clients are added or decommissioned, software is upgraded and new technolog... See more...
Hi Tony I was talking about running setups; most large installations are in a constant state of being amended as new clients are added or decommissioned, software is upgraded and new technology introduced, so day-to-day operations at least partially involves some installation (in the sense of adding new parts to the environment). Most of my other experiences were working for resellers so its harder for me to remember size of customer installations and number of people exactly.
I've not worked with installations of the sizes you give but some examples I have worked with in recent years (I've estimated full time equivalent dedicated to backups afterwards): 8 servers, ... See more...
I've not worked with installations of the sizes you give but some examples I have worked with in recent years (I've estimated full time equivalent dedicated to backups afterwards): 8 servers, 2000 clients (8 people - also do storage) 5 FTE 6 servers, 3000 clients (7 people - manager split with storage) 6.5 FTE 1 server, 300 clients (4 people - also do UNIX sys admin) 2 FTE 4 servers, 3000 clients (10 people - also do storage) 6 FTE Staff would be involved with BAU work, troubleshooting, upgrading, reporting and design of future architecture but usually restores would be handled by a seperate department. I can imagine you were snowed under trying to administer so much with just two people!
Next time you get the error message run: savegrp -vvvvpc clientname groupname full nslookups from client and server - and post the results here. Hopefully someone can help you, or at leas... See more...
Next time you get the error message run: savegrp -vvvvpc clientname groupname full nslookups from client and server - and post the results here. Hopefully someone can help you, or at least define the problem a little more clearly for EMC's support to investigate further.
Surely it is better to troubleshoot the problem than workaround it like this...  The error usually refers to an issue with name resolution - check aliases configured for this client, verify nsloo... See more...
Surely it is better to troubleshoot the problem than workaround it like this...  The error usually refers to an issue with name resolution - check aliases configured for this client, verify nslookups for hostname, all aliases and IP is consistent on both client and server, ensure HOSTS files do not have any incorrect entries...
Haffiz I don't believe that is an error, just a warning.  Have you seen any issues you believe is due to this message?
Do you see any other functions of the software running slow?  Do both users experience the same slow performance?  What about if just one person is using the GUI?
Thanks Carlos, but those terms aren't universal, for example what Symantec call a differential backup is what EMC call an incremental backup... its not entirely clear from Microsoft's website whi... See more...
Thanks Carlos, but those terms aren't universal, for example what Symantec call a differential backup is what EMC call an incremental backup... its not entirely clear from Microsoft's website which side they sit on as there are several statements which are sufficiently vague to leave you unsure as to what they mean!  However this webpage seems to confirm that SQL differentials are the same as Networker differentials: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181092.aspx
We have some SQL servers which dump their data up to flat files which then are backed up by Networker.  Microsoft use the term full and differential backups but it is not entirely clear that diff... See more...
We have some SQL servers which dump their data up to flat files which then are backed up by Networker.  Microsoft use the term full and differential backups but it is not entirely clear that differential means the same thing as it does in Networker - the definition Microsoft gives implies that these are the same as incremental backups in Networker (everything changed since last backup at any level) but the example restore they give implies that they are the same as differential backups in Networker (restore full then last differential). Can someone clarify this one for me please?
IIS and the Assembly folder are backed up as part of either SYSTEM STATE: or VSS SYSTEM FILESET:
It does look like a network issue to me, particularly as you state you have had no change to your Networker configuration.
I'm a little confused as to what you are trying to get out here.  From the information you have given you have a CSV file that maps (150) applications to the servers on which they are installed o... See more...
I'm a little confused as to what you are trying to get out here.  From the information you have given you have a CSV file that maps (150) applications to the servers on which they are installed on.  You import this into DPA, merge this with the Backup Client Configuration datasource; however it is unclear where we go from here to arrive at the data you want as the example of the report you give is the same data but in slightly different form.  Can you explain what it is you wish to show here?
Not quite the same thing but here is an example of inconsistency in the report - although the report is only meant to return 2 fields, the rest being dropped, the other fields still show up in th... See more...
Not quite the same thing but here is an example of inconsistency in the report - although the report is only meant to return 2 fields, the rest being dropped, the other fields still show up in the report!? I'll see if I can prove my original point and post some further info...