kach1947_custom's Posts

kach1947_custom's Posts

How to test dial home (Block only as well as Unified) VNX  / VNX2 via CLI?
Hi Dynamox, No luck in rebooting the Control Station. Echo is still seen in the "history". Per the Support personnel, since it is harmless, we can ignore it. So far it looks like maybe a N... See more...
Hi Dynamox, No luck in rebooting the Control Station. Echo is still seen in the "history". Per the Support personnel, since it is harmless, we can ignore it. So far it looks like maybe a Netcool / monitoring / scripts running kinda alert. We are migrating off of this array in a few months, so maybe I will just ignore it until then
- Assuming the discussion is still open - Hi Kevin, I remember the last Enguinuity upgrade had some kind of (zap?) e-pack fix for the forced stall in the I/O on VMAX 20K and 40K. Asking ... See more...
- Assuming the discussion is still open - Hi Kevin, I remember the last Enguinuity upgrade had some kind of (zap?) e-pack fix for the forced stall in the I/O on VMAX 20K and 40K. Asking especially since some cases, SRDF and/or backup are all block based and happen at specific times of the day and could impact the BE disks (going through multiple spindles depending on workload and data size) as well as FE ports causing the bottleneck. Is that something that could be fixed or is potentially something that could be alleviated by FAST/ VP? Any specific recommendations, best practices and or any considerations that might need to be looked out for in terms of provisioning and allocation from the array perspective ? Thanks, KC
With only RDM luns as the criteria (might need bit more information), VPlex looks like the best option since it would provide the capability of Storage Federation to support and manage multiple a... See more...
With only RDM luns as the criteria (might need bit more information), VPlex looks like the best option since it would provide the capability of Storage Federation to support and manage multiple arrays from a single source.
Glen, Is that document still valid (Fast cache, no watermarks, etc for Rockies)? Asking since that document is from 2011
Hi Edwin, Great session so far. My question is on SRDF / CE with a (old/er) DMX  and new VMAX arrays. With a disk expansion for a disk that is already SRDF-ed,  I think the question of acti... See more...
Hi Edwin, Great session so far. My question is on SRDF / CE with a (old/er) DMX  and new VMAX arrays. With a disk expansion for a disk that is already SRDF-ed,  I think the question of active/ passive comes in here, especially with the DMX (if i remember correctly), that the cluster needs to be brought down on one node - then the disk expanded (and BCV/ etc if its striped meta) and then re-presented during which the cluster is failed over, resources brought up, etc. Is the setup still considered active/ passive since the node needs to be brought down? Also curious to know if this case still persists with the VMAX (has been some time that I worked on SRDF/CE on the VMAX) and any improvements on the same. Thanks KC
Thank you Kate.
Hi Kate, Read in some forums that E20-547 is going to be renewed with a new(er) certification exam by May 2014. Is this a correct statement? Just wanted to double check before registering f... See more...
Hi Kate, Read in some forums that E20-547 is going to be renewed with a new(er) certification exam by May 2014. Is this a correct statement? Just wanted to double check before registering for the above.
After installing DCNM on one of our ESX machines, I want to try integrating the storage part of it to be detected by DCNM as well. My questions are when I try adding SMI-S provider and specify... See more...
After installing DCNM on one of our ESX machines, I want to try integrating the storage part of it to be detected by DCNM as well. My questions are when I try adding SMI-S provider and specify EMC. Under  "SMI-S server IP", which IP should be entered? - Should I specify the IP of the SP (SP-A / B) of the VNX box that I want DCNM to discover or what should be added? - Since I'm already logged on to the server (ESX host) where we have DCNM installed, should I specify the same IP again under "SMI-S server IP" ?? Also, not sure what name space and interop name space will do for this. Any documents recommended for this? I went through Cisco SMI-S SMI-S and Web Services Programming Guide, Cisco DCNM for SAN, Release 5.x - Cisco DCNM SMI-S Server Support [Cisco Prime… document, but wasn't helpful in terms of these settings. If it helps, our environment is a combination of VNX (Inyo and Rockies - some Unified, some just block), and some DMX/ VMAX boxes.
Thanks! Will test out 8000 when I work on the same in 8G supported switches in a couple of weeks.
Dynamox - thank you. Glad that those are the same steps I followed., except that I never set the speed to 4000.... I assume if it is left default, it takes the default speed of the port(s) on ... See more...
Dynamox - thank you. Glad that those are the same steps I followed., except that I never set the speed to 4000.... I assume if it is left default, it takes the default speed of the port(s) on which we configure the port-channel?
Have any of you had issues activating zonesets via Fabric Manager? This is happening to us only on one fabric. Able to login without issues, but nothing else (cannot enable a port, cannot activ... See more...
Have any of you had issues activating zonesets via Fabric Manager? This is happening to us only on one fabric. Able to login without issues, but nothing else (cannot enable a port, cannot activate zoneset, cannot create zone, cannot create vsan, etc) via the GUI. I'm able to do everything by CLI, but would like to use GUI.  This is the error we get when I try to activate a zoneset.
So I tried and got this: show vsan usage 1 vsan configured configured vsans:1, 2 vsans available for configuration:3-4078,4080-4093 which means I can use anything between 3 and 4093 (inc... See more...
So I tried and got this: show vsan usage 1 vsan configured configured vsans:1, 2 vsans available for configuration:3-4078,4080-4093 which means I can use anything between 3 and 4093 (including those two) - correct?
Thanks Dynamox. Awesome that you are replying so fast for #2, I have tried from Cisco port channel creation documentation, but just want to see if there are easier (better / time efficien... See more...
Thanks Dynamox. Awesome that you are replying so fast for #2, I have tried from Cisco port channel creation documentation, but just want to see if there are easier (better / time efficient) ways of doing things, especially since people like you have so much expertise in SAN configuration and relevant tasks. #1 - will read that in a few minutes. thank you for the command, will try that out.
Hi, I have few queries: 1. Anyone know what is the highest # of VSAN iI can have per fabric ? The switches that the VSANs would be created would be at 6.2(5) Ex: fabric-1 ---> VSAN1 (Admin... See more...
Hi, I have few queries: 1. Anyone know what is the highest # of VSAN iI can have per fabric ? The switches that the VSANs would be created would be at 6.2(5) Ex: fabric-1 ---> VSAN1 (Admin), VSAN98 (Prod), VSAN198 (Non-Prod), VSAN298 (Test/Dev). Is there any limitation on what the max. we can go upto? Per Cisco MDS NX-OS Release 5.2 Configuration Limits - Cisco I can have upto 4,000 VSANs per physical fabric, but I'm not sure if I should take it as we being able to create a VSAN3999. Any guidance/ in put into this is welcome 2. Port-Channel creation: If any of you can provide or have step-by-step process for creating a port-channel - that would be helpful. 3. Cisco DCNM . Fabric Manager - which version do you guys recommend? SMI-S support for EMC arrays on MDS - anyone tried that? any benefits? Thanks! kach1947
Sure, will do.
thanks Dynamox. Will try it out. Cannot do it until after next though - internal audit going on, so can't break anything
hmmm. not sure. We do have a Monitoring team that use tools like NetCool / Nagios for monitoring (incorporated with TACACS). But that should not necessarily generate a echo every few seconds /... See more...
hmmm. not sure. We do have a Monitoring team that use tools like NetCool / Nagios for monitoring (incorporated with TACACS). But that should not necessarily generate a echo every few seconds / minutes (at least this obviously from the CS - correct?)
OK. I will see if that can be done within EOD today, if not, will do it and come here and provide and update.
@Ernes - no worries thank you for checking and clarifying. @Dynamox - this is output when i log in, so i assume this is under the "root" directory. I do login as 'nasadmin'. Not sure if tha... See more...
@Ernes - no worries thank you for checking and clarifying. @Dynamox - this is output when i log in, so i assume this is under the "root" directory. I do login as 'nasadmin'. Not sure if that answers your question (?)