gshah1's Posts

gshah1's Posts

Hey Arthur, Yes, it is KB article 16582. I am posting link just in case. Hope re-image resolves your issues. Good Luck! https://support.emc.com/kb/16582
Hi, We have a 14 node cluster comprising of X-series and NL-series nodes. Customer has Several shares under which they have around 22K user home directories as sub-directories. At this moment... See more...
Hi, We have a 14 node cluster comprising of X-series and NL-series nodes. Customer has Several shares under which they have around 22K user home directories as sub-directories. At this moment we are enforcing quotas at the parent level i.e. at the share directory level. They would like us to enforce quotas on the user home directories. Looks like this: /ifs/share1/(2000 something dirs.) /ifs/share2/(2000 something dirs.) . . . . /ifs/sharen/(2000 something dirs.) I am aware that we can use nested quotas and set the quotas on the home directories, but my concern is if we set quotas on all the 22K dirs. would it cause any performance impact on the cluster in terms of latency? And also is there a higher limit cap on how many quotas can be set on one cluster? Any insight would be highly appreciated! Thanks, Gavi
Hey NWyler, Our customer has Insight IQ setup for monitoring and using the Isilon "E-mail notifications" for notifications regarding events and alerts. Now they are asking to setup the SNMP fo... See more...
Hey NWyler, Our customer has Insight IQ setup for monitoring and using the Isilon "E-mail notifications" for notifications regarding events and alerts. Now they are asking to setup the SNMP for both Monitoring and setting alert traps. Is this advisable? Thanks, -Gavi
Wohoo... I didn't know how much it cost. The client who I work with is very protective of its data. They asked for something that would make sure that their data is not left on the nodes, so they... See more...
Wohoo... I didn't know how much it cost. The client who I work with is very protective of its data. They asked for something that would make sure that their data is not left on the nodes, so they were suggested to use certified erasure. I just suggested it as one of the ways to do it though. Also, thanks Jeffey, the document is incredibly helpful. -Gavi
This is brilliant. Thanks for all this helpful info on SNMP MIBs.
I would suggest to use the Data Erasure service to completely wipe out the data on cluster. And then reimage each node with the latest OS version or whichever version is the preference. If you re... See more...
I would suggest to use the Data Erasure service to completely wipe out the data on cluster. And then reimage each node with the latest OS version or whichever version is the preference. If you reimage the cluster that will give you option to format the data disks too. If you plan to go ahead with Re-image then you can get the steps to do that from Isilon Procedure Generator which can be downloaded from EMC Support website. Thanks, Gavi
It does have approximately like 970,000 files. And the "Include Data-Protection Overhead" option is unchecked.
Hi All, User is trying to copy a folder to  SMB share. Size of folder 24GB. OS is Windows. Notification thingy window says, |--------------------------------------------------------------... See more...
Hi All, User is trying to copy a folder to  SMB share. Size of folder 24GB. OS is Windows. Notification thingy window says, |---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- |Copy Folder                                                                                                           X     | |----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| |  There is not enough space on root.                                                                            | |  You need an additional 30.7 GB to copy these file.                                                     | |                                                                                                                                       | |                                                                     TRY AGAIN                    CANCEL              | ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- We are using Smart Quota to limit user storage, to here is the Quota Information: While checking Quota Usage: ======================= Hard Quota : 335GB w/overhead:  344GB Used:            255GB % Used:        76% Overage: -- Snapshots : -- Quota Properties: =============== Type:                                    Directory User or Group:                    --- Path:                                   /ifs/data/abc/xyz54 Snapshots:                          Quota does not include usage for snapshots    Hard threshold:                     335GB Soft Threshold:                    None Advisory Threshold:               None Snapshots:                         Quota does not include Usage for snapshots Quota Type :                          Enforcement Show available space as:     Size of hard threshold Usage calculation method :     User data only So, now it seems to me that everything is fine from storage/Isilon side and Quotas are also fine. What I want to ask you guys what do you think of this, is this a storage issue? Quota settings issue? or Something from server side?
AMOLC, I have not yet started to work on this. But when I do, I'll make an update here. Thanks everyone for your wonderful insight.
You are welcome friend! Also, here is found a document about reimaging a node for reference:  https://emc--c.na5.visual.force.com/apex/KB_HowTo?id=kA0700000004Jr5
Hi AMOLC, You are right. NFS4 with Kerberos. It would be great help man. Thanks, Gavi
Hello All, Has anyone ever had experience in setting up Secure NFS for Isilon? If so, please can you please explain what it is, share your experience and how to go about setting that up? I ... See more...
Hello All, Has anyone ever had experience in setting up Secure NFS for Isilon? If so, please can you please explain what it is, share your experience and how to go about setting that up? I looked it up, there is some information in "OneFS Web Administration Guide" but not all. If you can point to some another documentation that would be helpful too. Thanks in advance! -Gavi
Hi, Just as Chris said, Isilon does not come with Fedora Linux, the come installed with OneFS based on FreeBSD. As for to reimage, once you have created a USB drive with OneFS image, just inse... See more...
Hi, Just as Chris said, Isilon does not come with Fedora Linux, the come installed with OneFS based on FreeBSD. As for to reimage, once you have created a USB drive with OneFS image, just insert it in on of the USB slots and start the node. Then node will boot from the USB drive, and then it will start a installation wizard, it should be pretty simple from there on. It will just prompt you for some stuff. I saw the process on couple of nodes and did one myself, not sure if I remember it asking for CTO order number or something else. It was pretty simple for there on. Hope this helps. If you are still having trouble, I would suggest to contact EMC Support.
An event should be generated telling you that a disk has failed. And OneFS will show an Amber or Red colored dot besides the node number on dashboard. If you click the node and scroll down to see... See more...
An event should be generated telling you that a disk has failed. And OneFS will show an Amber or Red colored dot besides the node number on dashboard. If you click the node and scroll down to see the bay area it will show you the drive bay in red. I myself have not seen the 'disk repair initiated' thing. Hope this helps.
No, you just cannot pull out one and replace it with new one. You need to SmartFail the particular drive before you physically swap it with a new one. Were you able to get your hands on Isilon... See more...
No, you just cannot pull out one and replace it with new one. You need to SmartFail the particular drive before you physically swap it with a new one. Were you able to get your hands on Isilon Procedure Generator?
Haha... Ya they should give access to Customers too. If you have support website access why don't you give it a try. It will be the first search result.
It is available for Partners and EMC Employees only.
Download and install Isilon Procedure generator, from support.emc.com website. It is pretty simple and easy to use. Just select the type of nodes and stuff and it will generate a step by step pro... See more...
Download and install Isilon Procedure generator, from support.emc.com website. It is pretty simple and easy to use. Just select the type of nodes and stuff and it will generate a step by step procedure to replace a HDD. Hope this helps!
EMCOPY is supported by EMC and Robocopy is not. EMCOPY preserves NTFS ACLs and also it is multithreaded so faster. Honestly I cannot tell which one is better, I guess you will have to decide for ... See more...
EMCOPY is supported by EMC and Robocopy is not. EMCOPY preserves NTFS ACLs and also it is multithreaded so faster. Honestly I cannot tell which one is better, I guess you will have to decide for yourself. I prefer EMCOPY just because it is faster. EMCOPY is Windows based tool, meaning it will run only on system which has windows on it. Isilon is based on FreeBSD Linux, so you cannot run EMCOPY on Isilon. Also, it is not advisable to run any kind of scripts or tools on Isilon that are not Isilon related or otherwise suggested by EMC, it will void EMC support policy. Hope this helps!
Thanks for clearing that up dynamo. FYI, I found out exact answer from the InsightIQ User Guide. Best practice states that you should monitor 5 Clusters or 125 nodes using one instance of Insi... See more...
Thanks for clearing that up dynamo. FYI, I found out exact answer from the InsightIQ User Guide. Best practice states that you should monitor 5 Clusters or 125 nodes using one instance of InsightIQ. If you have more Nodes or Clusters deploy another instance. For some reason I am unable to paste a link to reference document here or attach it, so I'll just state where to find the information. Information can be found in InsightIQ 2.5 User Guide, page 22 User Guide can be found from EMC Support website.