nateklaphake's Posts

nateklaphake's Posts

So I see that Isilon is supported as a Target for SourceOne but I can find little to no information on if it is supported as a Source. All I can find is that "all NAS" is supported as a Source. I... See more...
So I see that Isilon is supported as a Target for SourceOne but I can find little to no information on if it is supported as a Source. All I can find is that "all NAS" is supported as a Source. Isilon is a NAS, does that mean it is supported? Anyone else run into this and have this figured out already?
Also of note one of the benefits of Using Isilon with Hadoop is the flexibility you get with the data. Backing up a Hadoop cluster can be a impossible task in some traditional environments. In fa... See more...
Also of note one of the benefits of Using Isilon with Hadoop is the flexibility you get with the data. Backing up a Hadoop cluster can be a impossible task in some traditional environments. In fact a lot of places just rely on the Hadoop resiliency that is built in to the cluster as being good enough. In a Isilon world that data is accessible via NFS or SMB too so you can just back it up with a tradition file backup if you want. Not saying that works in every instance but from my past experience it would definitely have been a option for us.
Wondering if it is even possbile to upgrade from 1TB drives in there IQ36NL nodes to 2TB drives? First off I would think this is technically possible but the question is, would we ever want... See more...
Wondering if it is even possbile to upgrade from 1TB drives in there IQ36NL nodes to 2TB drives? First off I would think this is technically possible but the question is, would we ever want to do it as i would be very messy and take a long time. 2 scenarios that I could see working listed in the order of ease of implementation from a conceptual standpoint. Performance is not a issue at this time on this cluster so creating hotspots although valid is not really a issue here. SmartFail one node out(providing they have enough capacity on the other three and replacing the drives in it and adding it back to the cluster. Rinse and repeat for the rest of the nodes. What I don’t know about this is will the system even let this happen as the new node will not match the old ones in hardware spec. SmartFail a series of drives across all the nodes. Obviously do this 1 at a time and let the system restripe after each one. Than add the new 2TB drives to each of those slots. Guessing this would create a “new pool” which you could than selectively utilize smart pools to move data to it. Than rinse and repeat until you have all the drives replaced. This could take a ton of time. I am just throwing this out there to see if anyone has even attempted this for my reference as the person I am working with told me that he was told that he could do this when the system was put in.
Everyone, If you run into a situation where your Isilon is located in one city and you have a remote office with a Creative Services group in another city than this article is for you. Becau... See more...
Everyone, If you run into a situation where your Isilon is located in one city and you have a remote office with a Creative Services group in another city than this article is for you. Because of the size of the adobe files that where being worked with and the limited 200MB pipe in between the 2 sites when a file copy over SMB 2 was initiated the Creative Services workstation basically locked up until that file transfer was done. This caused major headaches for the creative services crew as they where working with files that could be multiple gigs in size and during the transfers they were losing out on productivilty. Now WAN Optimization would help as well one thing you can do on the Isilon in this situation is to run the following command to see if Oplocks are on. isi smb settings share view Sample outlook MSPISIX400-1# isi smb settings share view           Access Based Enumeration: No Access Based Enumeration Root Only: No              Allow Delete Readonly: No               Allow Execute Always: No                      Change Notify: all                 Create Permissions: default acl              Directory Create Mask: 0700              Directory Create Mode: 0000                   File Create Mask: 0700                   File Create Mode: 0100                     Hide Dot Files: No                           Host ACL: -                  Impersonate Guest: always                   Impersonate User:                  Mangle Byte Start: 0XED00                         Mangle Map: 0x01-0x1F:-1, 0x22:-1, 0x2A:-1, 0x3A:-1, 0x3C:-1, 0x3E:-1, 0x3F:-1, 0x5C:-1                   Ntfs ACL Support: Yes                            Oplocks: Yes                       Strict Flush: Yes                     Strict Locking: No AS you can see the Oplocks are on. To turn them off run the following command isi smb settings share modify –oplocks=no (this will turn the oplocks off but you have to reconnect the SMB session for it to take effect. After we flipped the oplocks off the Creative workstations could work on other files while the transfer was taken place unlike before when they couldn't do anything. Hope this helps everyone out.
OK here is the situation. 5 IQ36NL nodes are installed with licenses with SmartPools, SyncIQ, SmartConnect Adv, SnapshotIQ, and InsightIQ. We would like to do a upgrade to X400 66TB with 1.2TB... See more...
OK here is the situation. 5 IQ36NL nodes are installed with licenses with SmartPools, SyncIQ, SmartConnect Adv, SnapshotIQ, and InsightIQ. We would like to do a upgrade to X400 66TB with 1.2TB SSD nodes for the ability get higher performance read performance. Both node types fit into the High Density category on licensing. Can those be transferred to the X Nodes? I actually have the same situation at a different location but we want to go to from IQ36NL nodes to NL400 108TB nodes for a denser footprint. Would this answer be different than the one above?