johnsmith1971's Posts

johnsmith1971's Posts

Thanks Adham! I guess the following is my best bet: Site A to Site B: Mirrorview/S Site B to Site C: Incremental SAN Copy Only issue here is bandwidth between Site B and Site C, which ... See more...
Thanks Adham! I guess the following is my best bet: Site A to Site B: Mirrorview/S Site B to Site C: Incremental SAN Copy Only issue here is bandwidth between Site B and Site C, which is gonna be a limitation in any technology that we use. Do you have any documentation on how this can be set up? JS
I believe it can only replicate 1 to 2 in SYNC MODE and 1 to 1 in ASYNC MODE So Site A to Site B and Site C for SYNC (so all 3 sites should be within Sync distances) Can someone please conf... See more...
I believe it can only replicate 1 to 2 in SYNC MODE and 1 to 1 in ASYNC MODE So Site A to Site B and Site C for SYNC (so all 3 sites should be within Sync distances) Can someone please confirm or assist further? Thanks JS
Thanks Rainer. What would be the process to replicate 1 LUN to 2 sites? Can i do: MV/S from Site A to Site B and MV/A from Site A to Site C for the same LUN? Or MV/S from Site A t... See more...
Thanks Rainer. What would be the process to replicate 1 LUN to 2 sites? Can i do: MV/S from Site A to Site B and MV/A from Site A to Site C for the same LUN? Or MV/S from Site A to Site B and MV/A from Site B to Site C for the same LUN? Thanks JS
Hi, I have 3 sites with VNX5200... Site A, Site B and Site C. Site A to Site B = Dark Fiber (Sync distance) SIte A to Site C = IP (Async distance) Site B to Site C = IP (Async distance) ... See more...
Hi, I have 3 sites with VNX5200... Site A, Site B and Site C. Site A to Site B = Dark Fiber (Sync distance) SIte A to Site C = IP (Async distance) Site B to Site C = IP (Async distance) All 3 platforms have Essentials Suite licenses (all software enabled on VNX). I would like to protect a LUN (or multiple LUNs) from site A in both site B and site C. Can you please let me know what my options are knowing that i do NOT have any recoverpoint appliances? Thanks JS
Hi, I have a VNX5500 with a pool that has: - 100GB SSD drives as R5(4+1) - 300GB SAS drives as R1/0 (4+4) - 1TB Nl-SAS drives as R6 (6+2) I want to upgrade the pool with 2TB drives inste... See more...
Hi, I have a VNX5500 with a pool that has: - 100GB SSD drives as R5(4+1) - 300GB SAS drives as R1/0 (4+4) - 1TB Nl-SAS drives as R6 (6+2) I want to upgrade the pool with 2TB drives instead of 1TB drives because having 1TB drives is bringing me closer to the 250 drive limit much faster, so i want to slow that down by using 2TB drives. Can you please let me know the following: - Any performance impact in adding 2TB drives to the pool with existing 1TB drives? Thanks JS
Is there any way to shrink the size of the filesystem on a VNX?
Hi, I have the following scenario: 1- I have a Unified VNX with 1 pool that has mixed drives (SSD, SAS, NL-SAS) with FAST. This pools is shared for BLOCK/FILE. 2- I want to create a NAS f... See more...
Hi, I have the following scenario: 1- I have a Unified VNX with 1 pool that has mixed drives (SSD, SAS, NL-SAS) with FAST. This pools is shared for BLOCK/FILE. 2- I want to create a NAS file system from that pool 3- From that filesystem, create shared folders 4- I want to use CTA to archive the files that are present in the shared folders to Centera I want to know if AFTER archiving the files to Centera and replacing them with STUBs, can i "reclaim" back the freed up space and return it to the original pool (of point 1) so i can use them for something else? Is there any documentation that describes the above scenario and how it can be achieved? Thanks JS
Hi Richard, Thanks for your response. This was very helpful. Is there a document that you can reference that gives more details on this process? I tried to search on Google, but unfortun... See more...
Hi Richard, Thanks for your response. This was very helpful. Is there a document that you can reference that gives more details on this process? I tried to search on Google, but unfortunately i couldnt find any. Thanks in advance. JS
Hi, Can you please let me know if the following scenario can be achieved? I have an AIX server with a JBASE database connected to VNX which is connected to RecoverPoint/SE. I want to cre... See more...
Hi, Can you please let me know if the following scenario can be achieved? I have an AIX server with a JBASE database connected to VNX which is connected to RecoverPoint/SE. I want to create a CDP replica of the JBASE database (LUN) after a certain process runs, present it to a Backup Server and take a backup from that replica volume. Can you please explain to me in a bit of details how that can happen? I am interested mainly in WHEN i will present the replica volume to the backup server, what the replica volume state should be...etc. Thanks JS
Hi, I have a VNX CIFS environment that is replicating to another VNX CIFS. The 2 sites are not syncing and i am suspecting that there is a "large" file on the CIFS that is constantly being ... See more...
Hi, I have a VNX CIFS environment that is replicating to another VNX CIFS. The 2 sites are not syncing and i am suspecting that there is a "large" file on the CIFS that is constantly being updated. Is there a way or a command that shows me the largest files in the CIFS to check last modified time or last accessed time so i can troubleshoot the problem? Thanks JS
Thank you Saurabh. I dont know if this is confusing in general or if its just confusing me... I could figure out the following: Total Capacity = Sum of capacities of Data Devices (enabled o... See more...
Thank you Saurabh. I dont know if this is confusing in general or if its just confusing me... I could figure out the following: Total Capacity = Sum of capacities of Data Devices (enabled or disabled) in the pool (which is the total physical capacity of the pool) - please confirm? Free Capacity = Out of all the "enabled" Data Devices, how much is free? or our of ALL the Data Devices (enabled and disabled), how much is free - please confirm? % Subscription = Couldn't figure it out - any ideas? Enabled Capacity = We can enable or disable data devices in a Thin Pool. So the Enabled Capacity is the sum of ALL enabled data devices. - please confirm? Allocated Capacity = Out of the "Enabled Capacity", how much are bound to Thin Devices - please confirm? % Allocated = (Allocated Capacity / Enabled Capacity) x 100 - please confirm? My main concern is, i am planning for storage expansion and i want to understand how much my TOTAL USABLE capacity is and how much is actually allocated to servers. I dont want to have my capacity "oversubscribed" for now. Thanks JS
Thank you Saurabh. Would it be possible for you to provide me with a brief explanation of the following just to clear my confusion please: - Total Capacity - Free Capacity - % Allocated ... See more...
Thank you Saurabh. Would it be possible for you to provide me with a brief explanation of the following just to clear my confusion please: - Total Capacity - Free Capacity - % Allocated - Maximum Subscription - % Subscription - Enabled Capacity - Allocated Capacity Thanks JS
Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding certain things on Unisphere. I have a VMAX 20K where LUNs are configured as Thin. Now i want to figure out how much actual capacity im consu... See more...
Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding certain things on Unisphere. I have a VMAX 20K where LUNs are configured as Thin. Now i want to figure out how much actual capacity im consuming from my VMAX. I have 3 tiers (SSD, FC, SATA) configued with FAST VP. I think if i can figure out the exact meanings of the below properties, i can have a clear idea: - Total Capacity - Free Capacity - % Allocated - Maximum Subscription - % Subscription - Enabled Capacity - Allocated Capacity As you can see, these are ALOT of capacity parameters to grasp,but what i am interested in is: - Total Physical Usable Capacity - Total Physical Free Capacity - Total THIN Free Capacity - Total Physical Used Capacity - Total ALLOCATED capacity (presented to hosts.. what the hosts can see) I hope im making sense here. Appreciate all the help! JS
Hi, I am planning to purchase RecoverPoint CRR for DR purposes. When i replicated LUNs to the DR site, can the Replica LUNs in the DR site be mapped to standby servers in Read Only mode and... See more...
Hi, I am planning to purchase RecoverPoint CRR for DR purposes. When i replicated LUNs to the DR site, can the Replica LUNs in the DR site be mapped to standby servers in Read Only mode and in case of a disaster, break replication and enable the LUNs as Read/Write? What is the best practice in this regards? Thanks JS
Hi All, Was just wondering if there is a document or if someone can help in telling me what happens when some failure scenarios happen on a VNX as follows: - What happens when a front-end p... See more...
Hi All, Was just wondering if there is a document or if someone can help in telling me what happens when some failure scenarios happen on a VNX as follows: - What happens when a front-end port fails on the VNX? - What happens when cache modules fail on the VNX (in one of the SPs)? - What happens when a CPU module fails on the VNX (in one of the SPs)? - What happens when the motherboard of an SP fails? Im interested in downtimes, tresspassing LUNs, connected server downtime...etc. Thanks JS
Thank you Craig. That's a fairly good comparison. Appreciate it. JS
Hi Guys, Over the past year, we've seen a couple of capacity/performance monitoring/reporting/trending released for the VNX. I tried to do my research on what the difference is between Stor... See more...
Hi Guys, Over the past year, we've seen a couple of capacity/performance monitoring/reporting/trending released for the VNX. I tried to do my research on what the difference is between Storage Analytics Suite, Monitoring and Reporting and Storage Resource Management, but i find them overlapping in ALOT of things. All of them seem to provide: - Capacity Monitoring - Performance Monitoring - Trending How do i choose between those products? Its getting very confusing. Thanks JS
Thank you dynamox for your reply. I can see for CIFS (64,000 but tested 20,000) and NFS (64,000). Am i looking at the right place? Does that make sense? Thanks JS
Hi, I have a couple of questions about Data Movers in a VNX NAS environment as i have some file servers that i might want to consolidate on a VNX. Those might seem random questions, but i need... See more...
Hi, I have a couple of questions about Data Movers in a VNX NAS environment as i have some file servers that i might want to consolidate on a VNX. Those might seem random questions, but i need to understand them in order to decide on my next action plan: - What is the maximum number of concurrent CIFS connections to a single data mover? - What is the maximum number of concurrent NFS connections to a single data mover? - When would i need to add another data mover? Is it when:      - I reach the capacity limit of my data mover?      - I reach my max number of concurrent connections to a single data mover? - If i deploy CIFS/NFS for "file shares" only (not applications like VMware or oracle), what is the typical workload profile? Sequential, Large Block, Small block..etc? Thank you Regards, JS
Thank you Richard. Will try this and let you know the outcome. Regards,