bearsfolks's Posts

bearsfolks's Posts

Thanks for your response, Speedstep, and I don't want to be contentious about it, but this is what happens (i.e., it asks for the harddrive password after it is on standby) on my Inspiron 1525 and, i... See more...
Thanks for your response, Speedstep, and I don't want to be contentious about it, but this is what happens (i.e., it asks for the harddrive password after it is on standby) on my Inspiron 1525 and, if  I remember right, also on a Vostro laptop. A screensaver password is, based on what I've read, ok protection from a casual user, but not much use against a thief who knows how to break it.  And encrypting the data would be too much of a burden on the chip in the Mini. I was hoping that there was some setting that got me there, but, so far, I haven't found it.
I'm not sure where to post this problem.  My Inspiron Mini 10 with XP has a hard drive password , and it asks me for it when I turn the computer on.  However, when I put it on standby, either by t... See more...
I'm not sure where to post this problem.  My Inspiron Mini 10 with XP has a hard drive password , and it asks me for it when I turn the computer on.  However, when I put it on standby, either by turning the computer off in standby mode, or by closing the lid, or by pressing the on/off switch, and then restart it, either by opening the lid or pressing the on-off button, the computer does not prompt me for the hard drive password, which it should. What can I do to fix this?  Please note that I am referring to the hard drive password, and not the administrative password. TIA
Hi all:   My wife has a 3-year old Vostro 1500 running Xp Pro, Sp3, and it was somewhat messed up (wouldn't accept Windows updates, the Firewall stopped working, and couldn't be turned on e... See more...
Hi all:   My wife has a 3-year old Vostro 1500 running Xp Pro, Sp3, and it was somewhat messed up (wouldn't accept Windows updates, the Firewall stopped working, and couldn't be turned on even with administrative tools, stopped being accessible on the network, etc.).   So, I backed up everything 3 times, including a drive image, and wanted to reinstall XP using the Dell XP SP2 disk.     I removed the Dell Mediacenter partition, but left the first (small) partition.   I reformatted the remaining partition as NTFS, and installed XP.   Despite the fact that the Dell disk contained the SATA drivers, when I looked in Device Manager, I found that the HD was seen as an IDE drive, and not a SATA drive.   After researching this issue on the Internet, I tried to slipstream the OS from the SP2 disk with the SATA driver.   Using nLite, I added the file "iaahci.inf"   from the Dell driver R154200.   nLite would only let me add this one file, although there was also another called"iastor.inf" in R154200.   The installation went smoothly, I added the Dell drivers from the drivers disk, and things seem to be working fine, although I haven't checked all the components.   However, I noticed a change in Device Manager.   The old Device Manager showed the following information:   ,   while the new one shows:     As you can probably tell, there are 2 issues that concern me:   First, there were 2 Primary IDE channels, and now there is only one.   Should I be concerned, and, if so, how do I fix it?   Secondly, the first entry used to be "Intel(R) ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2828", and is now "Intel(R) 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller".   Again, could this be a problem, and how do I fix it?   I have found Intel drivers that seem to be appropriate for the ICH8M 3 port on the Internet, but don't know if I should also include them if I have to do a new slipstream.   I must confess that when it comes to chipsets, their drivers, etc., I have a (somewhat intelligent?) monkey-see-monkey-do approach.   Thanks in advance for any help, particularly, as a friend reminded me today of a saying attributed to Confucious:   [INDENT]There are few rewards but many disadvantages to fixing/upgrading a wife's computer[/INDENT]
Hi Fireberd.  Thanks for your response. I have 2 "USB2 Enhanced Controller Entries", as well as 6 "USB Universal Host Controller" entries.  So all indications are that the ports are working at USB ... See more...
Hi Fireberd.  Thanks for your response. I have 2 "USB2 Enhanced Controller Entries", as well as 6 "USB Universal Host Controller" entries.  So all indications are that the ports are working at USB 2.0 speed. The PC came with XP installed. Just in case the drivers may have been corrupted, I recently reinstalled them, to see if things would improve, but they didn't. I just ran a quick test on a 2gb stick, and it took approximately 4mins and 40 secs to download 1.37 gb onto the stick, and uploading it onto the desktop took 1min 21sec.  Is this normal? Thanks for your help
I have an Inspiron 530 that is about a year old.  Since I got it, I noticed that the usb ports are very slow, and it has been particularly noticeable of late, as I hae been using flash drives to tran... See more...
I have an Inspiron 530 that is about a year old.  Since I got it, I noticed that the usb ports are very slow, and it has been particularly noticeable of late, as I hae been using flash drives to transfer some files from it to another computer.  I have now checked this with 3 flashdrives, on 4 different computers (including ones that are older than the 530), and in all cases, the 530 takes about two to three times as much time to read or write as the others do.  Any suggestion to improve this speed would be appreciated. I am using XP Pro SP3, and am plugging the flash drives sdirectly into the front 4 usb ports. The other possibly relevant issue is that Device Manager has a yellow "?" at "Other device", "Unkown device". TIA.
I have an Inspiron 1525 with Vista, and would like to install Windows 7 as a dual OS.  All 4 partitions are currently taken, and are described as: Volume Layout Type File Sys Statu... See more...
I have an Inspiron 1525 with Vista, and would like to install Windows 7 as a dual OS.  All 4 partitions are currently taken, and are described as: Volume Layout Type File Sys Status Capacity Free Space % Free   Simple Basic   Healthy (EISA Configuration) 71 MB 71 MB 100%   Simple Basic   Healthy (Primary Partition) 2.5 GB 2.5 GB 100% OS (C:) Simple Basic NTFS Health (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) 220.32 GB 152.23 GB 69% Recovery (D:) Simple Basic NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition) 10.00 GB 4.85 GB 48% I am a novice at partitions.  Which of the first 2 partitions (which seem to be at the beginning and the end of the harddrive) can I safely delete, so that I can then shrink C:, and create a new partition for Windows 7? TIA.
I'm not sure which forum to put this in, as I don't know what's causing the problem. I have a new Quad 4 Dell Inspiron 530 running XP. It has 4MB memory (I think XP uses 3MB of it). I get a lot... See more...
I'm not sure which forum to put this in, as I don't know what's causing the problem. I have a new Quad 4 Dell Inspiron 530 running XP. It has 4MB memory (I think XP uses 3MB of it). I get a lot of news-related newsletters from various sources, and like to open all the articles of interest to me in separate windows to read them (as opposed to reading each one as I open it, and then closing it before opening the next one). I find that after I have 33 such windows open, the computer stops responding to any mouse commands to open a new window, be it in IE, or any other program like Word. If I connect a camera to download pictures, it realizes that I have added hardware. asks me what I want to do (I choose the Camera Wizard), and nothing happens. At that stage, it will not even respond if I doubleclick on the new hardware icon in my system tray to remove the camera safely. According to the SIW utility that I have running that shows me the CPU and ram usage, I am barely using 1-2% of the CPU, and using about 57% of memory (1873MB used, 1445MB free), and it says that of the 2046mb swapfile, the maximum used is 356mb and 179mb is in use. Once I close the windows, the machine works just fine.  It allows me to open the same number of windows that I have closed.   Likewise, if I use tabbed browsing in IE7, it opens about 46 or so tabs, and then stops opening either any more tabs, any more windows, or any other programs.   It's not a problem of stability. What could be causing this, and what can I do about it?  At this stage, it is more a case of intellectual curiosity than anything else, as I'd like to know what could be limiting the system, particularly given the amount of free memory.   TIA.
The_Namek:   I use tabbed browsing in IE7 also.  I don't think that there is a way to open urls directly in tabs.  However, I did try to find the maximum number of tabs that I could have open in... See more...
The_Namek:   I use tabbed browsing in IE7 also.  I don't think that there is a way to open urls directly in tabs.  However, I did try to find the maximum number of tabs that I could have open in a window, and there seems to be a limitation on that also---around 46 or so.  The problem was not one of stability, but that XP refused to open any windows in any program.   The issue is not whether I should or shouldn't have so many windows open, but trying to understand what is causing this limitation, particularly when I have so much free memory left.  If nothing else, it is a matter of intellectual curiosioty.  I have googled this, and cannot find any reference to an inherent limitation of XP.   I'll repost this in the Software/XP side also as you suggested.
Well that response added to my knowledge by exactly 0%.   What is it about the 33 windows being open that causes it (the number changes depending on whether it is a window or a tab)?  Is it a ha... See more...
Well that response added to my knowledge by exactly 0%.   What is it about the 33 windows being open that causes it (the number changes depending on whether it is a window or a tab)?  Is it a hardware issue or an XP limitation?
I'm not sure which forum to put this in, as I don't know what's causing the problem. I hae a new Quad 4 Dell Inspiron 530 running XP. It has 4MB memory (I think XP uses 3MB of it). I get a lot ... See more...
I'm not sure which forum to put this in, as I don't know what's causing the problem. I hae a new Quad 4 Dell Inspiron 530 running XP. It has 4MB memory (I think XP uses 3MB of it). I get a lot of news-related newsletters from various sources, and like to open all the articles of interest to me in separate windows to read them (as opposed to reading each one as I open it, and then closing it before opening the next one). I find that after I have 33 such windows open, the computer stops responding to any mouse commands to open a new window, be it in IE, or any other program like Word. If I connect a camera to download pictures, it realizes that I have added hardware. asks me what I want to do (I choose the Camera Wizard), and nothing happens. At that stage, it will not even respond if I doubleclick on the new hardware icon in my system tray to remove the camera safely. According to the SIW utility that I have running that shows me the CPU and ram usage, I am barely using 1-2% of the CPU, and using about 57% of memory (1873MB used, 1445MB free), and it says that of the 2046mb swapfile, the maximum used is 356mb and 179mb is in use. Once I close the windows, the machine works just fine.  It allows me to open the same number of windows that I have closed. What could be causing this, and what can I do about it? TIA.