Oditius's Posts

Oditius's Posts

Just in case anyone reads this, I sold the Dell A948 Printer and bought the HP Photoshop C4580. When I installed it on my Win7 (64bit) XPS M1730 it seemed to work for a while, but after returning fro... See more...
Just in case anyone reads this, I sold the Dell A948 Printer and bought the HP Photoshop C4580. When I installed it on my Win7 (64bit) XPS M1730 it seemed to work for a while, but after returning from sleep, it stopped working. I spent 2 hours on the phone with tech (if you can call it that) Support at HP. (And people complain about Dell Tech support, it is still better than HP)  After it was all done, my printer worked  wirelessly, but for that to happen, my laptop had to be hard wired to the router. Go figure, I reversed it all and went for a walk. WHen I returned I decided to look for an answer myself. I looked at the firewall, and saw that in the config that only one of the 2 boxes was checked. It only allowed wireless access to the router. Hmmm so I checked the other box that would allow access both ways and POOF!!!! I can now roam the house and outside, and surf the internet and print wirelessly.
Wow, thanks for all the info, but if it would all seem to point to Vista. I have Windows 7 as my OS. And there are drivers for Windows 7 on Dell's website. I have downloaded the file to remove it com... See more...
Wow, thanks for all the info, but if it would all seem to point to Vista. I have Windows 7 as my OS. And there are drivers for Windows 7 on Dell's website. I have downloaded the file to remove it completely from Windows 7, I also deleted any trace of the 948 printer, rebooted it and installed the Win7 drivers again. And it says can't commincate with printer. Now I ran the file to remove it again, deleted all traces of it and ran it again to run from the USB port. It works that way, but not wireless. It isn't a really big deal to me, but why have a wireless printer if you can't use its wireless feature. I am also a stickler for running the machine under normal conditions. In otherwords, if it isn't compatable for Win7, I am not going to use a work around. I do this to prevent me from forgetting how to fix it again if for some reason I have to format the drive and start again. I plan to buy a HP printer whose ink is a lot cheaper than Dells. For the price of dells series 7 black ink, I can get the HP 75xl & 74xl refilled at Walgeens. ($15 color/$10 Black) it the HP C4580 also prints wireless. So thanks for the help.
Nope, not new here, but it has been a long time since I have been back. They sure changed things around here. I kind of liked the old way better. Yep, that is my printer, it worked fine wireless u... See more...
Nope, not new here, but it has been a long time since I have been back. They sure changed things around here. I kind of liked the old way better. Yep, that is my printer, it worked fine wireless under Vista (32bit). And yes that is where I got the drivers for Win7 (32bit) from.   Not familiar with filmware. Nor am I sure what and how to update that. I checked with Linksys and the firmware for my router is the newest. I see no "patch" file in the list. I new it was one or the other, but off the top of my head I couldn't remember. Thanks.
O.K. Lets see where I can start. Maybe my setup: XPS M1730 Laptop 4GB Ram Windows 7 640gb HD (2x320) Dell A948 Printer (with wireless card installed) I installed Windows 7 on a clean HD, ... See more...
O.K. Lets see where I can start. Maybe my setup: XPS M1730 Laptop 4GB Ram Windows 7 640gb HD (2x320) Dell A948 Printer (with wireless card installed) I installed Windows 7 on a clean HD, installed what drivers I could find. Most of them Vista because Dell doesn't seem to have drivers for Win7 for my machine. I had to d/l the drivers for the video card from Nvideas website. But the laptop works at 99.999% efficiency and better than it did in Vista. But the printer is a different story. I did some research and d/l the Win7 drivers from Dell. Followed the directions to the letter to install it wirelessly. But it wouldn't communicate with the printer. (Yes I did type the WAP (WPA?) code correctly). Upon it failing, I d/l the clean remove file and removed the printer. Also deleted the DRIVERS>948 directory and d/l it again. (in-case the first file became corrupt) Followed the directions again, and still can't communicate with the printer. So I did the total uninstall again. (rebooting the laptop every time) This time I installed it using the USB method. It is the only way to get the printer to work. I know it works. Oh my WPA/WAP? code is my phone number, so I would never forget it and family members who come over, can hook their laptops via the wireless router. Because of the cost of the ink I will replace this one soon, but not until after the holidays. But in the meantime I would like to go back to printing wirelessly. And Idea's?   P.S. (I have not tried to install it wirelessly after the USB version.)
Thanks for the reply, I have given up on Ubuntu and Linux altogether. Decided to stay with Vista. Too much of a learning curve to deal with. But I appreciate the help I have been getting. Hope everyo... See more...
Thanks for the reply, I have given up on Ubuntu and Linux altogether. Decided to stay with Vista. Too much of a learning curve to deal with. But I appreciate the help I have been getting. Hope everyone has a Happy New Year.
I have a overheating problem, it got so hot today it shut my laptop down. I tried to find the i8k for it, but couldn't. it wasn't in the gkrellm selection or anywhere else I can see. But before you s... See more...
I have a overheating problem, it got so hot today it shut my laptop down. I tried to find the i8k for it, but couldn't. it wasn't in the gkrellm selection or anywhere else I can see. But before you start talking Linux to me, understand that I speak Vista only. I have only been playing with Linux for a week or two, and finally found a version I can stick on my second HD. And I only had it installed for about 24 hours. So please you can help, please do, but understand that you are speaking to someone who hasn't handled Linux very long. From what I can see, Linux isn't a whole lot different than DOS was. But it has been years since I had to use DOS commands. I need someway to keep my laptop cool!!!!
You got me I can't even seem to find my way around here. I might just stop coming here to help others.
Or loose, it is one lousy job going from a male/female connectors to the flat cable thing that seems to come loose to easy if you mess with the drives.
Huh? I only see 4,237 feedback.
@mel206 wrote:   It used to be just when I used it on my lap, but now it is happening even with the laptop on a desk with me several feet from it. Sorry it was just this line that made me ... See more...
@mel206 wrote:   It used to be just when I used it on my lap, but now it is happening even with the laptop on a desk with me several feet from it. Sorry it was just this line that made me think you used it on the lap. But changed to a desk when it first started. And since it is the laptop that does it and not the desktop I would think it has something to do with the extra heat that laptops emit. Being if this may be a heat problem (Your stomach may be sensitive to the subtle change in temperature) Maybe try a cooling pad so it would dispense the heat more evenly and keep the laptop cooler. That may help, I have never heard of this problem in some 15 or so years of working with computers. Good luck on finding a solution, and when you do, please remember to post it back here so if others run into the same thing, they can find an answer.
Click HERE for a white one on ebay. Not a bad price either.
You need to see a doctor first. Because I wouldn't ask Dell about a medical problem. You problem may be simple ergonomics and you need to reposition the way you handle your laptop. And laptop isn't... See more...
You need to see a doctor first. Because I wouldn't ask Dell about a medical problem. You problem may be simple ergonomics and you need to reposition the way you handle your laptop. And laptop isn't the proper name anymore. It is more of a notebook. Many are too hot to keep on the "lap" I don't think it has anything to do with radiation, because you would get more of it outside in the sunshine than any computer can give you.
Maybe the difference is between US and UK? Not sure, I read were plenty people here have had problems even on this side of the big pond. I understand it is difficult to get things done, but persist... See more...
Maybe the difference is between US and UK? Not sure, I read were plenty people here have had problems even on this side of the big pond. I understand it is difficult to get things done, but persistence pays. You have tried that way and it has failed, now you have to go the other way. I wish you luck, and hope you are successful. I think it is wrong what they did and is doing to you. If more people stood up to the giant and tossed those legal stones at them, then one day it will hit them between the eyes and knock them down a peg or two. And hopefully they will pay attention more to the customers complaints and less to the Almighty Dollar (Or Euros? Pound?) But be forewarned, anytime someone touches my machine, I won't let them leave till it is done to my satisfaction. I always check to make sure everything it right. I use to build computers for a hobby. So good luck and keep at it.
You got me on that one. I always thought that once you change the BIO's and saved before you exit, that would be final. (Unless you upgraded the BIO's to A09) Then it has to be done all over again.... See more...
You got me on that one. I always thought that once you change the BIO's and saved before you exit, that would be final. (Unless you upgraded the BIO's to A09) Then it has to be done all over again. But the Quickset should keep them off. I only keep the lid lights off, the speaker ones I leave on. (I like the colors and I can't see the lid anyway. )
This is a user to user forum, there is only a slight chance that a moderator will read the post let alone be able to help. Read through the post, find a moderator and send him a private message. An... See more...
This is a user to user forum, there is only a slight chance that a moderator will read the post let alone be able to help. Read through the post, find a moderator and send him a private message. And hopefully he can put you in touch with someone.
I've been with and using Dells for 8 years now. As a matter of fact because of my recommendation the company I work for now has over 300 Dells in the offices through out the US. (Of course we have ... See more...
I've been with and using Dells for 8 years now. As a matter of fact because of my recommendation the company I work for now has over 300 Dells in the offices through out the US. (Of course we have our own ITS department and go to them for any help) But I never heard of a complaint with any of those computers. This M1730 is a replacement for a XPS Gen2 computer that had a short. It was at my doorstep only 2 weeks after they said they was going to replace mine. I was kind of surprised that it was a new and not refurbished one. But if you think warning anyone here not to buy a Dell is going to help, you might be a little late. most people here already own a Dell. Dell put this forum here so users can help users. I came here with a problem years ago, I come back now to see if I can help someone that needs it. I hope they get the computer replaced for you. I don't have any advise on that part you haven't already received.
You're welcome, but there is a program called Quickset download and install it. Go on the gaming tab, and make your lights sing. I have mine on all the time, and they blink when email arrives. It ... See more...
You're welcome, but there is a program called Quickset download and install it. Go on the gaming tab, and make your lights sing. I have mine on all the time, and they blink when email arrives. It is in the Dell drivers and downloads for your system. Click on the link above it should work. Or you can disable one or all the lights. Message Edited by Oditius on 10-17-2008 06:13 PM
I've had mine since January 08, only had one problem and that was with the keyboard. Dell send a tech out to replace it. (Even though I am capable of doing it myself) Not a problem since then.
I keep my lights on when using the laptop. And it flickers when I get email. The setting is in the Dell Quickset program. Under System>Gaming Options>LED Effects. In the box that says configure eff... See more...
I keep my lights on when using the laptop. And it flickers when I get email. The setting is in the Dell Quickset program. Under System>Gaming Options>LED Effects. In the box that says configure effect, click on the circle "On new mail arrival" Message Edited by Oditius on 10-07-2008 04:56 AM
The laptop came with XP Pro on it and only one smaller HD. I removed the HD and installed the 2 larger ones. The Vista Ultimate I have I bought. As far as XP is concerned, I never go back to it, s... See more...
The laptop came with XP Pro on it and only one smaller HD. I removed the HD and installed the 2 larger ones. The Vista Ultimate I have I bought. As far as XP is concerned, I never go back to it, so it really isn't doing anything except taking up space.   Oh, yeah... I just forgot to change the signature.