Oditius's Posts

Oditius's Posts

Anyone know where I can get the Drivers so I can set up my XPS M1730 for RAID0? Or is it already on the Vista Ultimate DVD?
Opps posted in the wrong area.. Message Edited by Oditius on 10-06-2008 09:34 PM
I fixed the problem by removing Rollback 8.0. So now it reads correct. Guess I should not have tried using a disk cleaner with rollback installed. Oh well, now I have another problem, but I will st... See more...
I fixed the problem by removing Rollback 8.0. So now it reads correct. Guess I should not have tried using a disk cleaner with rollback installed. Oh well, now I have another problem, but I will start a new thread for that. Thanks for the replies. Message Edited by Oditius on 08-30-2008 06:27 AM
Nope, that didn't work. The space is there, but Vista sees it as full. XP sees it as empty. So it can't be a "physical" file, or XP would see it also.
I don't know how to start. I tried and installed East-Tec Eraser 2008 to kind of clean the HD of unused space. Well, after a while my HD ran out of space and it froze. So I rebooted, and now Vista ... See more...
I don't know how to start. I tried and installed East-Tec Eraser 2008 to kind of clean the HD of unused space. Well, after a while my HD ran out of space and it froze. So I rebooted, and now Vista reports I only have 30gb of my 200gb drive free. I right clicked on C: and it shows the same info. But when I boot into XP (installed on my second HD) it shows the correct free space. So does anyone know how to reclaim my missing 100+gb's?
I put Vista on the 8600 and it dogged down a lot. I got so aggravated at it, no matter what I did, I just couldn't get it to speed up any. I gave it to my daughter and bought the XPS Gen2 computer.... See more...
I put Vista on the 8600 and it dogged down a lot. I got so aggravated at it, no matter what I did, I just couldn't get it to speed up any. I gave it to my daughter and bought the XPS Gen2 computer. And now with the M1730 It runs as fast as my XP ever did.
@Eusebio wrote: I'm think about buying my bro's old laptop from him.   Originally 3000$, bought in 2005:   XPS Gen2   Intel Pentium M 2 Gig processor 2 Gig Ram Geforce Go 6800 Ultra 25... See more...
@Eusebio wrote: I'm think about buying my bro's old laptop from him.   Originally 3000$, bought in 2005:   XPS Gen2   Intel Pentium M 2 Gig processor 2 Gig Ram Geforce Go 6800 Ultra 256 mb 60 GB HDD   Sales on ebay at 800, I'm offering 750 - should I go lower? thanks Message Edited by Eusebio on 05-16-2008 10:02 AM   THe Gen2 was a real good computer. But running Vista on it is a no-no. But other than that, $800 on ebay? Well, "bro" should be willing to give it to you for $500 max. Other than that, buy a newer refurb unit in the Dell Outlet store.
eskymi wrote:   I was once told i was just one of the lucky ones with VISTA...my reply was, "Or maybe I am just computer literate and know what i am doing."   Same goes for dell's tech s... See more...
eskymi wrote:   I was once told i was just one of the lucky ones with VISTA...my reply was, "Or maybe I am just computer literate and know what i am doing."   Same goes for dell's tech support. I really never had a problem with dealing with them. The were always polite and courteous, sometime they apologize too many time. But my problem gets fixed and am happy. I am also computer literate and a type A person too.
I love Vista, but I have enough space and memory to make it work. But I am a glutton for punishment. I got bored of XP, I had it running so smooth there wasn't a challenge to get it to cook. Vista ... See more...
I love Vista, but I have enough space and memory to make it work. But I am a glutton for punishment. I got bored of XP, I had it running so smooth there wasn't a challenge to get it to cook. Vista I installed from the DVD, XP was installed on this machine. It ran pretty good from the start. A few tweaks and it runs even better. But like the others say, I don't play heavy duty games or need to run any older programs.
Then the M1730 would be about as close to a desktop as your going to get. If you do finance it for 48 months, then pay it down and be rid of the bill sooner. Good luck..
Here is a few questions to ask yourself:   1) Dell doesn't support 64bit OS yet, so am I willing to search and find the drivers I need?   2) If I really need that much ram, then why am I buyin... See more...
Here is a few questions to ask yourself:   1) Dell doesn't support 64bit OS yet, so am I willing to search and find the drivers I need?   2) If I really need that much ram, then why am I buying a laptop?   3) If I cannot afford to pay for it in 2 years, do I really need an expensive laptop?   4) Do you plan to carry it around, drink liquids near it? Do you plan to have parties where it may be vulnerable to other friends carelessness? (BTW, If I didn't have the complete care, I wouldn't have this M1730)   5) If I am asking about upgrading, should I be considering a desktop?   Actually the nice thing about the M1730 is you can upgrade the video card. The bad thing is you have to wait for Dell to start selling it. The main reason I still have the 8700 card. So take my advise, 4 years on paying for a computer that will be outdated in less than a year, doesn't seem worth it. A desktop can be updated often to keep it up-to-date. But laptops are a different story. Besides, have you picked one of these up? For a laptop they are heavy. Good luck in your choice... The XPS M1730 ROCKS!!!
Go to Control Panel>Administrative tools>Computer Management>Disk Management you should see your 2nd HDD in there. You can create the partition and format it. Hope this works for you.
The OS doesn't have all the drivers you need. You have to go to Dell's support page and download the drivers for your computer for them to work. Since you did not list what kind of computer you hav... See more...
The OS doesn't have all the drivers you need. You have to go to Dell's support page and download the drivers for your computer for them to work. Since you did not list what kind of computer you have, I can't help you find them. There is also an order to installing the drivers. So a search of these forums and you should find more info about it.
The 32bit OS can only use a max of 4gb. But remember that this is "old school" technology. It the old days video cards didn't have their own ram, it shared it with the computer. So the 32bit OS's o... See more...
The 32bit OS can only use a max of 4gb. But remember that this is "old school" technology. It the old days video cards didn't have their own ram, it shared it with the computer. So the 32bit OS's of the days were written to use what was considered max. So if you have 4gb of ram, and your video card has 1/2gb, then all the computer will be able to use the remaining 3 1/2gb's. My M1730 showed 3.554gbs ram, the rest was being read from the video card. If money is no object then go with the 4. You someday may want to go to 64bit OS.
A: The battery is considered an expendable item. Similar to the car battery or the rechargeable you buy in the stores. They are only warrantied as long as the manufacture covers it (This being Dell... See more...
A: The battery is considered an expendable item. Similar to the car battery or the rechargeable you buy in the stores. They are only warrantied as long as the manufacture covers it (This being Dell doesn't manufacture batteries), it isn't part of the Computer's warranty.
I got one, if they are OEM disk for HP, then it won't work well on Dell's. So go out and buy a copy of Vista. And stay away from Home Basic, I have heard nothing good about it. Go for Home Premium ... See more...
I got one, if they are OEM disk for HP, then it won't work well on Dell's. So go out and buy a copy of Vista. And stay away from Home Basic, I have heard nothing good about it. Go for Home Premium or Ultimate. And what kind of Dell computer are you trying to install it on?
@Sseadoubleyou wrote: And before anyone wants to know why I want to use AOL...it's very simple.  It's free if you have your own internet access and I still have friends on it who use chat (cha... See more...
@Sseadoubleyou wrote: And before anyone wants to know why I want to use AOL...it's very simple.  It's free if you have your own internet access and I still have friends on it who use chat (chat rooms, not IM's).  So I just want to hold onto it...   Thanks I tried AOL once. It took me a long time to remove AOL's footprint off the computer. I finally gave up and just reformatted the drive and started over. But that doesn't answer your question. First off I would suggest you max out your memory, put it to 4gb. If you don't have a 7200rpm drive, go out and buy one. After that, go to a AOL forum and ask someone there. You will probably get a answer you need. Good luck..
Here is the one for my M1730, but without know what you have, i really don't think anyone can truly point the way for you.
I use a DataTraveler 4GB USB Flash drive. But I don't think I have ever ran into a situation where a flash drive wasn't just plug-n-play with either XP or Vista. I know in 98 and previous version y... See more...
I use a DataTraveler 4GB USB Flash drive. But I don't think I have ever ran into a situation where a flash drive wasn't just plug-n-play with either XP or Vista. I know in 98 and previous version you had to have a driver for it. But Since XP that wasn't necessary. The only possible reason it might not work is when you first connect it to the computer for the first time, it has to load the drivers. If you yanked it out prior to it finishing, then maybe it became corrupted? But not sure if that can happen.. Good luck in finding one.. They are pretty cheap if you do a little research on where to buy one.
I get that once in a while on my computer, very annoying, but it does return to normal, unlike XP did. The only thing I can suggest it right click on the folder, hit properties and look at security... See more...
I get that once in a while on my computer, very annoying, but it does return to normal, unlike XP did. The only thing I can suggest it right click on the folder, hit properties and look at security. Make sure you have full control. For some reason once, my camera created a new folder and it didn't give full control. But other than that, hopefully someone will come along that knows what is going wrong and gives you a better hand at it. And Welcome to the forum!! You can find help, but sometimes it takes a while. Good luck and have fun.