Oditius's Posts

Oditius's Posts

Or you can just do a Dual Boot setup. And have the best of both worlds.
I found that CDRW's are really not that stable, so I use my SD card for backups of my Quicken. My M1730 has a built in card reader, but before I got this machine, I used a Flash Drive. Works great ... See more...
I found that CDRW's are really not that stable, so I use my SD card for backups of my Quicken. My M1730 has a built in card reader, but before I got this machine, I used a Flash Drive. Works great and is a cheaper alternative to buying and burning CDRW's.
Well if you hit scan, then it should be on the computer somewhere. Probably in the Pictures folders. If you took the time to name the picture then do a search for it. Somewhere in the softwares set... See more...
Well if you hit scan, then it should be on the computer somewhere. Probably in the Pictures folders. If you took the time to name the picture then do a search for it. Somewhere in the softwares setup should be an option for you to choose what directory all scans go in. I no longer own the 926 so I can't be sure. Hope this helps a little.
Then I will make it official.. Welcome to the forum!!! Your message may have been misread, or not understood. But there is no option, I think Dell doesn't give a warranty on 3rd party seller... See more...
Then I will make it official.. Welcome to the forum!!! Your message may have been misread, or not understood. But there is no option, I think Dell doesn't give a warranty on 3rd party sellers, because they cannot be responsible for what the 3rd party might have done to customize the printer. Like mentioned before, the only options are:   1) Return printer to Staples and buy from Dell directly to obtain the warranty. 2) But Staples warranty. 3) Or forget the warranty and take a chance.   Hope this helps, and this forum is a great place to learn from. So stick around, who knows, you may be able to help someone else. Message Edited by Oditius on 04-27-2008 07:39 AM
Maybe there is a bad driver that didn't get installed correctly? Or became corrupted? I know there is an order to which drivers should get installed first and such. If you do a search you might fin... See more...
Maybe there is a bad driver that didn't get installed correctly? Or became corrupted? I know there is an order to which drivers should get installed first and such. If you do a search you might find the link to that order (I printed it out, so I didn't keep the link ). Or maybe you forgot a driver?
I don't know much about the "Raid" configuration, but if your computer was set up for it, would that interfere with the boot process? Here is an How to article that might help. I wish you luck and ... See more...
I don't know much about the "Raid" configuration, but if your computer was set up for it, would that interfere with the boot process? Here is an How to article that might help. I wish you luck and hope you get it worked out. Not sure why, because Vista works so well on my M1730 I don't really don't use XP except when one of my kids create a problem on theirs, so I try to recreate it to help fix it.
Check out the How to Geeks lots of things to do there.
OK, in Vista it says "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe" for windows explorer.   As far as XP, I'll edit this message to add it. Because I have to reboot into XP. OK, in XP it says "%SystemRoot%\explor... See more...
OK, in Vista it says "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe" for windows explorer.   As far as XP, I'll edit this message to add it. Because I have to reboot into XP. OK, in XP it says "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe"   Looks the same to me...   I use to love DOS, didn't care for Windows 3.11. Only had it installed for the kids sake. When 98 came out, I dropped DOS all together. Now I am in Vista 99.9999% of the time. Going to XP to look for that path for you will be the first time in XP for a couple weeks.   As far as buying the used 8200 off eBay, that was the first time I bought one. I actually did buy the XPS Gen2 computer from eBay also. At least the seller transfered the warranty to me. I extended the warranty for 2 years. And 3 months before it was to expire, it got a short in it that was giving me jolts. so Dell replaced it with this XPS M1730. Way to go Dell!!!! Message Edited by Oditius on 04-19-2008 11:00 AM
Instructions? I don't need no stinken instructions!!   Never read instructions, but since the invention of XP, flash drives are plug-n-play. Go in, pull out. No wait, no hassle!! Never had a ... See more...
Instructions? I don't need no stinken instructions!!   Never read instructions, but since the invention of XP, flash drives are plug-n-play. Go in, pull out. No wait, no hassle!! Never had a problem. Unlike CD drives that were removable so they can be replaced on the fly. Except if you yanked it out, without stopping it, XP would come crashing down. XPS series doesn't have removable drives. (You can replace them by unscrewing a couple screws, but not by pushing a button)   As far as your explorer.scf  file all I found in a search was explorer.sc_ and it was in the "C:\Backupxp\i386\" folder. I did a search on my XP drive and found explorer.sc_ on the i386 folder. But couldn't find it expanded anywhere.
I use a flash drive all the time. I don't think I have ever worried about stopping it. When I transfer a file there or from there to my computer, a little window pops up to show the progress, when ... See more...
I use a flash drive all the time. I don't think I have ever worried about stopping it. When I transfer a file there or from there to my computer, a little window pops up to show the progress, when it is done, I just yank the flash drive out and plug it into another computer or whatever I want to do. I am not at home now, but on my computer it shows up as G: removable drive. Message Edited by Oditius on 04-17-2008 11:49 AM
NytOwl wrote: When she tried to transfer the files all she gets is a taskbar icon showing the flash drive is loaded and no obvious way to open Windows Explorer to see the drives and folders. ... See more...
NytOwl wrote: When she tried to transfer the files all she gets is a taskbar icon showing the flash drive is loaded and no obvious way to open Windows Explorer to see the drives and folders. Why did the Vista developers not continue to provide easy access to Windows Explorer is beyond me.   There is a Windows explorer in Vista. You might have to look for it, but it is there. I "pinned" it to my start menu. Another way would be to right click on the desktop, hit create shortcut, then browse. Just click on the c: drive and hit o.k. So when you click on that shortcut windows explorer will pop open.
I have been using Vista since I got this M1730 about 2 months now. And I still can't find the problems with it. My printer works as it should, scans, prints, color/photo copies, all wireless. I tur... See more...
I have been using Vista since I got this M1730 about 2 months now. And I still can't find the problems with it. My printer works as it should, scans, prints, color/photo copies, all wireless. I turn it on and off as I wish with no error codes. It is as fast or maybe even faster than XP was on this same machine. I have XP loaded also. But I never really go back to it. So I am not sure what everyone's problem is. With ram prices are low, why not just feed the monster? I always max out ram, even under Windows 3.11. Besides windows 7 release isn't to 2010. A year after windows drops support for XP. MS always will come out with a new OS right after the release of the newest one. Heck I heard of Longhorn right after XP was released. Now called Vista. They don't care, it all money to them. You put out a new product, put a lot of hype and people will buy it. Pure and simple. You hear a little complaint about your newest OS, you let it leak that there is a newer and better one coming. That will keep the masses happy until you can zap them with another OS. Which no one will like, because they are trying to operate the machine underpowered. And I am sure if you Google "Vista, wonderful Vista, program of the Gods" you will find a lot of people that adore it. I like Vista to the point it really doesn't matter one way or the other. I like some features in Vista. I even incorporated the sidebar into XP. Now if I can get XP to use Dreamscape then there would be no difference to me. The reason I like Vista is because I tweaked the heck out of XP that I don't think it could go faster. Now with Vista, I get to do the same. Nothing is perfect, it never will be. There was a lot of bull dung when XP was released, now the same is going for Vista. And stop to think this, do you really think Windows 7 will be better? Look who is creating it. Wake up people, don't let it control you. If I didn't get Vista cheap of eBay, I would still be on XP. You will never really like the windows OS, so why not either switch to Linux or buy a Mac?
Hit the start button, right click on Computers then hit properities. Should tell you there.
If it was brought to a Vote!! I vote YES!!!! Of course you could just type M1730 in the search bar...
Guess I forgot to post the solution. Thanks for everyones help and replies. But here is what I did to fix it.   1) After I Cloned the 160 to the 200gb drive, I installed the Drive 2) I then cha... See more...
Guess I forgot to post the solution. Thanks for everyones help and replies. But here is what I did to fix it.   1) After I Cloned the 160 to the 200gb drive, I installed the Drive 2) I then changed the boot order in the BIOS to go CD/internal HD/Second HD 3) I put the Vista DVD in the DVD and booted to it. 4) After the first few screens I got to to the <R>epair part and hit <R>epair. 5) Re-booted and it worked.   Thanks again for the replies I got, it started me on the path to get it solved.
Nah, I really don't play games.
@dirkr07 wrote: hi,   cpu: idle: 40°  peak: 70° gpu: idle: 57° peak: 80° memory: idle: 50° peak: 60° chipset: idle: 47° peak: 58°     thnx in advance for any replies 🙂   cpu: ... See more...
@dirkr07 wrote: hi,   cpu: idle: 40°  peak: 70° gpu: idle: 57° peak: 80° memory: idle: 50° peak: 60° chipset: idle: 47° peak: 58°     thnx in advance for any replies 🙂   cpu: idle: 49/50°  peak: 69° gpu: idle: 51° peak: 52° memory: idle: 51° peak: 53° chipset: idle: 56° peak: 58°   These are mine.
I guess first thing to check is if it is turned on in the BIOS. Other than the Backlite, you have no other problem with the keyboard? If not, it might be a defective keyboard. So I would use the ch... See more...
I guess first thing to check is if it is turned on in the BIOS. Other than the Backlite, you have no other problem with the keyboard? If not, it might be a defective keyboard. So I would use the chat feature for tech support and see if you can get a new one.
Err maybe next time it would be better if you informed your dog to do her nails on the other side of the room. But as the last post said, when you boot up, hit F12 and choose diagnostics, if eve... See more...
Err maybe next time it would be better if you informed your dog to do her nails on the other side of the room. But as the last post said, when you boot up, hit F12 and choose diagnostics, if everything passes, and the computer runs fine, you got lucky. If something fails then write down the code and call or chat with tech support. (I use chat, there is no accent there) but I wouldn't mention the dog or nail polish remover unless you have complete care.
I would suppose if you were to remove the XP drive, and move the Vista drive to the 0 position, you could use Vista DVD to boot from and do the repair. That might work. I might try that when I get ... See more...
I would suppose if you were to remove the XP drive, and move the Vista drive to the 0 position, you could use Vista DVD to boot from and do the repair. That might work. I might try that when I get bored. I have the same scenario as you. But with one exception. I have cloned my XP and Vista drives one 2 separate HD using an external case. I use them as my backup. I could always disconnect my 2 HD's, and just plug in the spare drive to see if it will work. But I will leave that to a later date.