Oditius's Posts

Oditius's Posts

I have the insert in there. Not sure of what else would go in there? I use to have a wireless adapter in there, but that's not needed anymore. So it stands alone and waisting space. Putting a 3 1/2" f... See more...
I have the insert in there. Not sure of what else would go in there? I use to have a wireless adapter in there, but that's not needed anymore. So it stands alone and waisting space. Putting a 3 1/2" floppy in there would have been more useful.
Sounds to me you want a higher end laptop. You first say you want to do for papers and stuff, but not games. That would put you at the lower end, but then you return and say you want to watch and burn... See more...
Sounds to me you want a higher end laptop. You first say you want to do for papers and stuff, but not games. That would put you at the lower end, but then you return and say you want to watch and burn DVD's. That would put you on the other side. I like the wide screen of my 8600, but if you're happy with the smaller screens then the other one should do nicely. I would stick with the celeron CPU since it saves power, runs cooler and is pretty fast. I might suggest checking out the refirb units also, but since it's a laptop, I would pay the extra for the "Complete care" warranty. And you will need a printer if you need to print something. I have a wireless card in here as well as the wired one. And another feature is a Bluetooth card. So now I print wirelessly. 🙂 I have a Canon bjc-85 with a bluetooth adapter. Message Edited by Odius on 04-09-2004 04:36 PM
Have you tried just dropping into hibernation? I don't know if will make a difference. But hopefully someone else will come along with better suggestions.
2 Words:   Call Dell!!!!!  
I use to have a desktop, but after my first Dell 3700 (or was it 3600?) I got to like the portability of the laptop. (Even though the 8200 I had would get too hot to keep on my "lap") But now I have ... See more...
I use to have a desktop, but after my first Dell 3700 (or was it 3600?) I got to like the portability of the laptop. (Even though the 8200 I had would get too hot to keep on my "lap") But now I have an 8600 and I love this thing. I like the wide screen, it also seems to stay cooler than the 8200. I've been using laptops now for almost 4 years, and love it. So I would recomend a laptop to anyone who doesn't want to go to a desk all the time. Mine has a wireless ethernet card for my DSL connection and a Bluetooth to update my phone and print on the canon bjc85 that is located in my bedroom. (It's a noisy printer) So I can roam all aroung my house and in my yard and still be able to surf the net.   I'm a Rod too!!   P.S. In all these years, I never had a problem with tech support on the phone. That's not saying I didn't have problems with the machine. (Returned the 3700 4 times in one year before they got it right. Returned the 8200 twice, first time they fixed, the second time they replaced with this 8600.) Message Edited by Odius on 03-21-2004 05:26 PM
My first Dell was a refirb 3700, and had to return it 4 times in one year. When I told the Customer service rep that this is the last time, that if you have to replace that stupid LCD again, you can e... See more...
My first Dell was a refirb 3700, and had to return it 4 times in one year. When I told the Customer service rep that this is the last time, that if you have to replace that stupid LCD again, you can either send me a NEW system or refund my money. (Funny thing though, I never had a problem again.) Later I bought a refirb 8200. Danged if I didn't have to send it back for a discolored LCD screen. Told service rep that, I do not want to go through the same bull I went though the last time. Well, the laptop came back a week later and it was looking good. But it had a NEW problem, It was shocking me. OUCH!!! I did not like that at all, I would be just surfing the internet and using the mousepad. Bring my finger down the pad and touch the rim and ZZZAAAPPPP!!! Called Dell back, they sent me this NEW 8600 Before I even sent back the 8200. I sent it back in the same box the 8600 came in. I love this thing, I think I am in love with Dell, but don't tell the Mrs., she might get very angry. But if I had to, I would buy a refirb again, with the 3 year TOTAL care package. If you do get a fefirb, go with the total care package, this way you covered even if you spill your drink on it and fry the MB.
Try eBay, seen them there in a few colors. Look cool, but I like my Silver one.
I found that with this file running in the background, lxamsp32.exe my Inspiron 8600 will not go into hibernation mode when I close the lid. I have to stop that file from running and restart it if I w... See more...
I found that with this file running in the background, lxamsp32.exe my Inspiron 8600 will not go into hibernation mode when I close the lid. I have to stop that file from running and restart it if I want to print. I tried to unistal and reinstall drivers, but to no avail. Lexmark is no help, they keep asking the same questions and I give the same answers over and over. I think the tech support is automated.