pcgeek11's Posts

pcgeek11's Posts

If you would like a recovery partition that you could press a key at boot time and recover back to a given state then Acronis True Image is for you. I can create a hidden partition on your hard disk ... See more...
If you would like a recovery partition that you could press a key at boot time and recover back to a given state then Acronis True Image is for you. I can create a hidden partition on your hard disk "acronis Secure Zone" and maintain a current image of your hard disk there. It will also give you a prompt at boot time F11 to boot into the restore utility. Basically it works exactly like the Dell Recovery but it is 1000 times better. Check it out here: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/   They also have a free trial here: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/   pcgeek11
What you need if I understand is to make an image of your hard disk as it is working fine and store it on an external media DVD, External USB or Network disk drive. And have the ability to boot from ... See more...
What you need if I understand is to make an image of your hard disk as it is working fine and store it on an external media DVD, External USB or Network disk drive. And have the ability to boot from a CD and restore said image back onto the hard disk in case it goes bad...   Correct? This is a great program called Acronis True Image which will do this plus much much more. Here is a link for a full trial version: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/   pcgeek11
I installed Build 6801 on my Inspiron 1501 over a month ago and have been running Windows 7 as the OS with no issues. ATI X1150 Video. All of my devices detected and worked out of the box with no dri... See more...
I installed Build 6801 on my Inspiron 1501 over a month ago and have been running Windows 7 as the OS with no issues. ATI X1150 Video. All of my devices detected and worked out of the box with no drivers having to be installed. Including the Broadcom Wireless; works like a charm. I clean installed the Beta Build 7000 X64 this morning and I am posting from it now. No issues whatsoever. pcgeek11
Microsoft is not generating unique installation keys for every beta customer either as they did in Vista. So if you would like an installation key without the hassle of going through your "Windo... See more...
Microsoft is not generating unique installation keys for every beta customer either as they did in Vista. So if you would like an installation key without the hassle of going through your "Windows Live Account" here are the ones that are public and unlimited for the beta 7000 build testing period: Evaluation Version Expires 7/1/2009 D9RHV-JG8XC-C77H2-3YF6D-RYRJ9 6JKV2-QPB8H-RQ893-FW7TM-PBJ73 RFFTV-J6K7W-MHBQJ-XYMMJ-Q8DCH 4HJRK-X6Q28-HWRFY-WDYHJ-K8HDH 7XRCQ-RPY28-YY9P8-R6HD8-84GH3 JYDV8-H8VXG-74RPT-6BJPB-X42V4 482XP-6J9WR-4JXT3-VBPP6-FQF4M TQ32R-WFBDM-GFHD2-QGVMH-3P9GC GG4MQ-MGK72-HVXFW-KHCRF-KW6KY QXV7B-K78W2-QGPR6-9FWH9-KGMM7 They work for 64 or 32 bitness. pcgeek11
Well the gloom and doomers can say whatever they like about Windows 7... However I have been running Pre-Beta build #6801 64 bit for over a month on my Inspiron 1501 with no problems whatsoever , No... See more...
Well the gloom and doomers can say whatever they like about Windows 7... However I have been running Pre-Beta build #6801 64 bit for over a month on my Inspiron 1501 with no problems whatsoever , None. I installed the 7000 build beta this morning and have the same results; all hardware was detected drivers installed and I am posting now from Win 7. Vista should have been this easy. I am not recommending that every user should give it a go, but if you know what you are doing I would say it is fine. Really fine ! pcgeek11
Since both the Dell site and the crucial memory site list a 1GB max per slot , I suggest that you run a full set of memory test like Memtest. Dell an Crucial said it doesn't ma... See more...
Since both the Dell site and the crucial memory site list a 1GB max per slot , I suggest that you run a full set of memory test like Memtest. Dell an Crucial said it doesn't make it a fact. Sorry, but that is the truth. Dell just posted what they tested the system with, Crucial just parrots what Dell tells them is compatible. Dell and Crucial also stated the same for the Inspiron 1501 and I have been running my Inspiron 1501 with 4GB for well over a year. ( 2GB in each slot ) for over a year and it passes Memtest ( 24 hour run ) and Windows Vista memory test ( 24 hour run ). Note you have to be careful what memory type you install as notebooks can be finicky about the type used. I do agree about running a memory test for an extended time period to ensure that it is working as designed. The chipset type will tell you how much ram it should support. pcgeek11
I have a vostro 1400 laptop and I am locked out of windows as I don't have the administrator password . How can I perform a factory reset with out the admin password? Are we talk... See more...
I have a vostro 1400 laptop and I am locked out of windows as I don't have the administrator password . How can I perform a factory reset with out the admin password? Are we talking about the Windows Admin Password or a BIOS System Password? If Windows Admin Password - At the Dell blue banner press Ctrl + F11 and this should allow the notebook to boot into the factory recovery mode if the partition table has not been modified. If it is the BIOS System Password you will need to contact Dell, provide ownership proof and they will give you an over ride password.   pcgeek11  
The pin numbers are Looking at the front side of the plug: / 1 \ |3 2| Pin # 1 is the Shield wire, Pin # 2 is DC voltage return wire and Pin # 03 is the Positive DC Voltage wire. If you read... See more...
The pin numbers are Looking at the front side of the plug: / 1 \ |3 2| Pin # 1 is the Shield wire, Pin # 2 is DC voltage return wire and Pin # 03 is the Positive DC Voltage wire. If you read using a VOM set it to read DC Voltage. Attach the red lead to pin # 3 and the blacl lead to either # 1 or # 2 and if it is working you should see the rated output listed on the power rectifier or "brick". You have to read from one pin to another in order to read anything. Only the # 3 has power if read from # 3 to either # 1 or 2. Reading from #1 to #3 it should read ZERO Volts. pcgeek11
Are there any USB Devices plugged in when trying to boot? If yes then unplug all USB Devices then reboot. Plug in the USB Device after the system is up. I get the same indications when I have som... See more...
Are there any USB Devices plugged in when trying to boot? If yes then unplug all USB Devices then reboot. Plug in the USB Device after the system is up. I get the same indications when I have some of my flash drives installed and try and boot. It is the BIOS trying to boot from an unbootable device. pcgeek11
First and formost the POST ( Power On Self Test ) has NOTHING to do with the operating system. NOTHING. So do not wipe out WIndows and reinstall it will do you no good. Does the system run normally a... See more...
First and formost the POST ( Power On Self Test ) has NOTHING to do with the operating system. NOTHING. So do not wipe out WIndows and reinstall it will do you no good. Does the system run normally after pressing F1 and booting? It sound like the system doesn't like the speed or voltage requirement of the new RAM. I would replace it with the correct RAM to prevent any possible damage. http://www.crucial.com garuntees there RAM to be 100% compatible   pcgeek11  
I've never used it but aren't the keys " Ctrl  and F11 " at the Dell Logo booting... for the restore option? pcgeek11
Try setting the " Cleartype " option to on. And make sure you have the LCD set to its native resolution.  
You can extract the BIOS Binary from the exe file on a Vista system by executing it in a NON-Admin account and it will not execute the Winphlash just extract the files from the exe. The Dell executab... See more...
You can extract the BIOS Binary from the exe file on a Vista system by executing it in a NON-Admin account and it will not execute the Winphlash just extract the files from the exe. The Dell executable is written in Visual C++ and I have found no other reliable way to extract it. and you could try a DOS based version of the the flash utility to load it. PM me your email and I will send you the BIOS Binary for the Inspiron 1501, 2.6.3, A16 BIOS File, size 1 mb. Just keep in mind that if you do it incorrectly you could cause your motherboard to become unbootable and not recoverable by any resonable means . I am not responsible. pcgeek11
Right click and run as administrator.
" I thought I could just re-install Windows XP Professional from the reinstallation CD that came with the computer, but the system is apparently not set up to boot from the CD-drive.  It looks as if ... See more...
" I thought I could just re-install Windows XP Professional from the reinstallation CD that came with the computer, but the system is apparently not set up to boot from the CD-drive.  It looks as if it attempts to boot from the floppy drive, but I don't have a floppy boot disk." When you turn on the computer press ( tap repeatedly ) the F2 key to go into BIOS and set the boot order or press F12 ( tap repeatedly ) to go to the one time boot menu and select the CDROM as the boot device. pcgeek11
What does the " Blue Screen Error " say? This is probably a driver problem crashing Windows. Post the error blue screen text. pcgeek11
Let us know it it works for you or not! Merry Christmas to you! pcgeek11
On the Vista DVD look in the Sources folder for a file called PID.TXT. If it is there it will not ask for a key, because the key is in the file as you will see.   pcgeek11
" HI,  In my case, I never refuse an update " Really?
Try deleting the upper and lower filters as discussed here:   http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929461 pcgeek11