FLJerseyBoy's Posts

FLJerseyBoy's Posts

Thank you, Chris!
P.S. This wonderful discussion on Reddit (Dec. 2015) led me to that VESA product certification database: www.reddit.com/.../
I've got a new U2515H. The video connectivity options are many -- DisplayPort, Mini DP, HDMI, etc. The monitor itself comes with a DP-to-Mini DP cable. I noticed that this cable is not among those ... See more...
I've got a new U2515H. The video connectivity options are many -- DisplayPort, Mini DP, HDMI, etc. The monitor itself comes with a DP-to-Mini DP cable. I noticed that this cable is not among those certified by the DP standards organization, and thought, well, hmm, maybe I'll shop around for a certified cable. I've found them of course, but now I'm wondering: given a choice, should I look for DP-to-DP cables? Or is a DP-to-Mini DP cable okay? Everything I've read about the DP vs. Mini DP standards indicates no difference, but my intuition is always to go with the simpler-is-better option and not to mix standards.
After investigating more, it seems as though I will NOT have to purchase a new copy. My understanding of the steps involved (at least during the upgrade-from-Win7 period ending in July): Download... See more...
After investigating more, it seems as though I will NOT have to purchase a new copy. My understanding of the steps involved (at least during the upgrade-from-Win7 period ending in July): Download a Windows 10 .iso from MS site Boot to the ISO Setup program will automatically check that PC is correctly authorized/certified for Windows 10 Done! Fwiw, once I get the new hard drive, I'll probably try the Windows 7 "system restore" disks first. If I do a clean install of Windows 10, I'll have to re-install all the software (as well as data from backups). I'm pretty sure I no longer have the setup disks for some of that software.
I've got a 3-year-old 8700 which I'm very happy with. It recently had a major hard drive failure (2TB SATA), so I'm preparing to replace the drive with a new one. Earlier this year, a couple months... See more...
I've got a 3-year-old 8700 which I'm very happy with. It recently had a major hard drive failure (2TB SATA), so I'm preparing to replace the drive with a new one. Earlier this year, a couple months prior to the crash, I took the PC through the automatic upgrade from Windows 7 (Home) to Windows 10. So of course I've got questions: What should be the status of my Windows 7 and Windows 10 licenses? Are both in effect? If not, do I have to purchase a new copy of one or the other? If I DO need to purchase a new copy, do I go for the OEM or the retail version? If I have to purchase a new copy, can I buy Windows 7 and take advantage of the free upgrade to 10 again? If I do NOT have to purchase a new copy, where the heck do I get the installation media? (I do have the "system restore" disks created just before the upgrade from 7 to 10.) Given that I had the Home version(s) previously, can I upgrade to Pro on the same license? Or would this definitely required a new purchase? (And if so, do I get the OEM or retail version?) Appreciate any help at all! Edit to add: I should also have mentioned that my PC is no longer under warranty. C'est la vie!
I've got a brand-new XPS 8700 -- just took it out of the box on Saturday. Comes with both a standard Ethernet board and a wireless one. Windows 7 Home Premium pre-loaded, but I don't think that matte... See more...
I've got a brand-new XPS 8700 -- just took it out of the box on Saturday. Comes with both a standard Ethernet board and a wireless one. Windows 7 Home Premium pre-loaded, but I don't think that matters because it now dual-boots into either Win7 or Ubuntu 12.04 and the symptoms are the same in both OSes. Namely: I cannot get the thing to recognize the wired connection. It sits about 8-10 feet from my Linksys router, which provides both wired and wireless, but I want this machine to be wired ONLY. Even if I completely disable the wireless connection through the OS, enabling the wired one does not make the machine see it. Looking at the jack, the flashing network indicator light is yellow instead of green. Does that matter? (Seemed unlikely, but guess it's possible.) Do I need to remove or jumper the wireless card itself? (Couldn't see anything in the BIOS setup to let me do it that way.)
Resolution: card I mentioned above works just fine, for the purpose I described. (I haven't tried it with dual monitors.) The key is to remove/disable the integrated Intel video drivers in Device M... See more...
Resolution: card I mentioned above works just fine, for the purpose I described. (I haven't tried it with dual monitors.) The key is to remove/disable the integrated Intel video drivers in Device Manager, and then install/enable the counterparts for the new card before restarting. Worked like a dream. I don't know why I was so nervous. :)
P.S. to volcanofire: You may read some reviews of the EVGA card which say it doesn't come with the low-profile bracket (although the card itself is low-profile). This may have been true in the past. M... See more...
P.S. to volcanofire: You may read some reviews of the EVGA card which say it doesn't come with the low-profile bracket (although the card itself is low-profile). This may have been true in the past. Mine, though, came with a low-profile bracket in a separate little plastic bag. The card itself is mounted on a full-height bracket -- swapping the brackets requires a small socket wrench and a Phillips-head screwdriver, and takes about 5 minutes. Most of that 5 minutes is spent crawling around on the carpet looking for the dropped screw. Ahem. Message Edited by FLJerseyBoy on 09-03-2006 12:58 PM
I have seen some posts (here and elsewhere) about disabling the onboard graphics card for this (or similar) models. These posts say it's fairly simple: just disable the Intel graphics card using Devic... See more...
I have seen some posts (here and elsewhere) about disabling the onboard graphics card for this (or similar) models. These posts say it's fairly simple: just disable the Intel graphics card using Device Manager. Simple, right? But I don't get this. I've got the new card installed, and I've installed its drivers from the accompanying CD. If I disable the onboard graphics, what happens to my video *at that time*? Is it one of those things that requires a reboot to take effect, allowing me to enable the new card before doing so? (Somewhat embarrassed to be asking a patently newbie question!)
Volcanofire: I got the card here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130255 Dunno if it will solve your dual-monitor problem; I was just after the DVI output (and low-profi... See more...
Volcanofire: I got the card here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130255 Dunno if it will solve your dual-monitor problem; I was just after the DVI output (and low-profile card, of course). One thing I did NOT find, btw, was a low-profile PCI card with DVI output *and* 256MB RAM. This card is only 128MB, so factor that in if you're hoping to use it for something graphics-intensive.
I haven't been able to find any information on how to disable/jumper the onboard graphics adapter, in order to use a second adapter in its place. I'd hoped the absence of information online meant, "Th... See more...
I haven't been able to find any information on how to disable/jumper the onboard graphics adapter, in order to use a second adapter in its place. I'd hoped the absence of information online meant, "The motherboard automatically detects the presence of an alternative graphics adapter and disables the integrated graphics as needed," but this doesn't seem to be the case. :D System info: Optiplex GX520 Windows XP Professional / SP2 Integrated graphics: Intel 82945G Express Chipset New graphics adapter: EVGA e-GeForce FX5500 / PCI S-video and DVI outputs Low-profile form factor