osprey4's Posts

osprey4's Posts

Hi DMR0822, Are you trying to reinstall the operating system? Can you provide the model of your Dell?
Hi Le9itnova, One thing to clarify. The FDD cable is different than an IDE cable. Are you sure the FDD is the first boot device in the BIOS?
Hi Jim, Ok, that's helpful. Click the link below to my troubleshooting guide (which I really need to update). Try running the Dell diagnostics from the F12 utility partition. Try the READ test with... See more...
Hi Jim, Ok, that's helpful. Click the link below to my troubleshooting guide (which I really need to update). Try running the Dell diagnostics from the F12 utility partition. Try the READ test with a data CD (not audio), and then again with a DVD.
Hi Ritznono, Normally this is the sign of a bad CD laser. Unfortunately, you need to replace the drive.
Hi tpacc, On this forum, we will advise you to contact tech support and request replacement under warranty. If you just want to upgrade the card, please try the desktop video forum.
Hi Jim, Glad to hear you're keeping an older system still running.  Normally when I hear about a drive that reads CDs but not DVDs, I immediately suspect a failure of the DVD laser itself. Normal... See more...
Hi Jim, Glad to hear you're keeping an older system still running.  Normally when I hear about a drive that reads CDs but not DVDs, I immediately suspect a failure of the DVD laser itself. Normally VLC will install the required codec, so I'm not convinced that's the problem. Here's how to diagnose this. With a movie DVD in the drive, even if you cannot play the movie, if you open the drive letter in file explorer, you should be able to view the disc contents and the audio and video folders. If you try this and get an "insert disc" message, then I'm pretty sure the drive is bad. Your 5150 has two SATA ports and one IDE port. If you have only one hard drive, then the other SATA port can be used for a DVD drive. An SATA DVD drive will run about $20. An IDE DVD drive is going to be more difficult to find except at a flea market or on Ebay. 
Good to hear.
Hi Vrparekh, Dell does not list drivers that they have not verified on their specific hardware, so you'll frequently see newer versions elsewhere. It's up to you whether you want to go with the ver... See more...
Hi Vrparekh, Dell does not list drivers that they have not verified on their specific hardware, so you'll frequently see newer versions elsewhere. It's up to you whether you want to go with the version Dell has provided, or try something newer.
Hi skitz_2010, This is most likely a registry issue, fairly common in Windows 10 unfortunately. Try this. Go to device manager. Select the option to show hidden devices. Select and uninstall any ... See more...
Hi skitz_2010, This is most likely a registry issue, fairly common in Windows 10 unfortunately. Try this. Go to device manager. Select the option to show hidden devices. Select and uninstall any DVD drives and all IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Reboot and everything should reinstall. That's impressive, 50-60 audiobooks a year! 
Hi Rdelgado1, Probably not. Try this. Go to device manager. Select the option to show hidden devices. Select and uninstall any DVD drives and all IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Reboot and everything ... See more...
Hi Rdelgado1, Probably not. Try this. Go to device manager. Select the option to show hidden devices. Select and uninstall any DVD drives and all IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Reboot and everything should reinstall. 
As long as you're not using it, there's certainly no problem removing your video card, although you would see a video performance improvement if you used the video card instead of the on-board VGA po... See more...
As long as you're not using it, there's certainly no problem removing your video card, although you would see a video performance improvement if you used the video card instead of the on-board VGA port. Check your manual for instructions. You can fit any PCI Express card in that 16x slot. For example, a 1x PCI Express card will fit in that slot.
Hi Justin, I see two slots in that system, one PCI Express X16, which probably has your video card in it, and a regular PCI slot. I don't believe PCI supports USB 3.0 speeds but there are PCI cards... See more...
Hi Justin, I see two slots in that system, one PCI Express X16, which probably has your video card in it, and a regular PCI slot. I don't believe PCI supports USB 3.0 speeds but there are PCI cards with USB 3.0 ports.
Hi Mnagi23, Most DVD players will only play movies in DVD movie format. So you need to convert the MOV or WMV files to DVD video. I have used Any Video Converter with pretty good results, and it's ... See more...
Hi Mnagi23, Most DVD players will only play movies in DVD movie format. So you need to convert the MOV or WMV files to DVD video. I have used Any Video Converter with pretty good results, and it's free. Let me know if that helps you.
Hi vamoots, WINRETOOLS is the Windows recovery environment. You do not want to delete it.  First, make sure you are NOT using this drive for backup. Second, to get rid of those messages, see if... See more...
Hi vamoots, WINRETOOLS is the Windows recovery environment. You do not want to delete it.  First, make sure you are NOT using this drive for backup. Second, to get rid of those messages, see if the answer here is helpful.
Hi Tom, The recovery discs you created used a utility called Dell Datasafe Local. Here are instructions on how to use your recovery discs. However, it will only restore the factory hard drive image... See more...
Hi Tom, The recovery discs you created used a utility called Dell Datasafe Local. Here are instructions on how to use your recovery discs. However, it will only restore the factory hard drive image if your new drive is equal in size to your old drive. If that is not the case, the next option is to clone your existing system drive to the SSD. There are many free utilities for performing this task. Just perform a search for disk cloning.
Hi SteveKol, This is just a data disc, not DVD video, correct?
Hi 8of9, Can you post a screen shot of the onboard devices page in the BIOS?
Hi Anujshonline, Please try disabling your DVD drive in the BIOS and removing it from the system. Then try to boot. A failed DVD drive should not prevent the system from booting, so it's likely you... See more...
Hi Anujshonline, Please try disabling your DVD drive in the BIOS and removing it from the system. Then try to boot. A failed DVD drive should not prevent the system from booting, so it's likely you have some other problem.
Hi Webclick99, That drive does not appear to be capable of reading blu-ray discs. I would check your original system invoice to see if the system Dell shipped was supposed to have blu-ray capability.
Hi Mikez900, I assume your system has UEFI and that you've set it to legacy boot, correct? Does the system boot with the reinstall flash drive plugged in? Just as a possible troubleshooting tutor... See more...
Hi Mikez900, I assume your system has UEFI and that you've set it to legacy boot, correct? Does the system boot with the reinstall flash drive plugged in? Just as a possible troubleshooting tutorial, see if this page has any ideas. Don't download any of the gimmicky utilities, just follow the instructions.