jimg72's Posts

jimg72's Posts

I've had my Studio XPS 16 since August and quite enjoy it. About 2 weeks ago I purchased a new 27" Dell U2711 LCD to use with it. Long story short, hasn't worked yet. The DisplayPort on the laptop wi... See more...
I've had my Studio XPS 16 since August and quite enjoy it. About 2 weeks ago I purchased a new 27" Dell U2711 LCD to use with it. Long story short, hasn't worked yet. The DisplayPort on the laptop will not drive the U2711 at the optimum resolution of 2560x1440. It works at 1920x1080 but that's not really what I paid $1100 for LCD to do. I've tried the LCD with a Mac using DVI and it works fine at 2560x1440. I was told the DispalyPort on the laptop supported resolutions up to 2560x1600. My question... Has anyone got the DisplayPort to work at a resolution above 1920? I've spoken with Dell support 5 or 6 times now, each time they a new solution to this problem that never works. I don't want to send this LCD back, but if it doesn't work with my PC I just can't justify the cost.. Dell wants me to test the DisplayPort on the LCD with another device but I don't have anything else with DisplayPort. I have tried using a DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter and that also did not work. Thanks for any advice. Specs on the laptop, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD 4670 with the RGB LED screen, Core 2 Duo @ 2,66GHz
I have a Studio XPS 16 with a 1024MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670. Just received the new Dell U2711 27" LCD today and the laptop won't drive it. I was told before I ordered this LCD that it would work... See more...
I have a Studio XPS 16 with a 1024MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670. Just received the new Dell U2711 27" LCD today and the laptop won't drive it. I was told before I ordered this LCD that it would work with this laptop via DisplayPort. When I plug it in now the LCD just flickers on and off at the native resolution. I'm guessing this is a problem with the laptop, not the LCD. It will run the LCD at 1920*1080 but not the native 2560*1440. Should I call support to have the laptop displayport checked?
I don't think we're going to get an answer. Dell has now said the D-Dock USB 2.0 problem is fixed and to me that means they're done looking at it. This problem is not new, it's been around for quite... See more...
I don't think we're going to get an answer. Dell has now said the D-Dock USB 2.0 problem is fixed and to me that means they're done looking at it. This problem is not new, it's been around for quite some time and now I think they've said it's fixed to try and make it go away. From this forum... @DELL-Rollie wrote: This issue has been resolved with an updated USB 2.0 driver. The driver is packaged into Notebook System Software (NSS) versions A14 and higher. The latest version of NSS can be found in the file library using the Downloads under Product Support above.
I've download everything and anything to fix this problem and for me it still won't work. It's strictly a Dell issue as far as I'm concerned. I've gotten other USB 2.0 devices to work with the D-Doc... See more...
I've download everything and anything to fix this problem and for me it still won't work. It's strictly a Dell issue as far as I'm concerned. I've gotten other USB 2.0 devices to work with the D-Dock, but not my T3, it never has. Your best bet, besides disabling USB 2.0 which I think is unacceptable, is to plug the T3 into the USB ports on the laptop not the dock. It should work fine from there, but obviously this kind of bypasses the purpose of the D-Dock. Hope that helps...
Yes, I think we're all aware of the workaround or at least I am, but if you've got other equipment you'd like to run like external hard drives, sound cards, etc... USB 1.1 is really slow. I paid for ... See more...
Yes, I think we're all aware of the workaround or at least I am, but if you've got other equipment you'd like to run like external hard drives, sound cards, etc... USB 1.1 is really slow. I paid for a laptop and dock with USB 2.0 and it should work without the 'work around.'
Just an FYI, the Dell Notebook System Software, v.3.1.1a, A14 I just downloaded and installed on my Precision M60 did not fix the sync issues with my Tungsten T3. I'm still plugging it in the USB por... See more...
Just an FYI, the Dell Notebook System Software, v.3.1.1a, A14 I just downloaded and installed on my Precision M60 did not fix the sync issues with my Tungsten T3. I'm still plugging it in the USB port on the side of my laptop when it's in dock to sync it. It may fix other USB issues, but not with the T3 as far as I can tell.
True, but I said over a month since they finally admitted the problem existed... 1 or 11 months is too long to wait for a fix for something of this magnitude.
Since it's now been over a month since Dell finally admitted the problem existed, are we ever going to get a fix? Doesn't seem like an 'over a month to fix' problem unless they are just putting us of... See more...
Since it's now been over a month since Dell finally admitted the problem existed, are we ever going to get a fix? Doesn't seem like an 'over a month to fix' problem unless they are just putting us off until it's forgotten about or we're all out of warranty.
I own a Precision M60, it's a great machine for dev work. I do Oracle mostly and some asp.net. I have the database running on my laptop along with a webserver, visual studio, everything you could ne... See more...
I own a Precision M60, it's a great machine for dev work. I do Oracle mostly and some asp.net. I have the database running on my laptop along with a webserver, visual studio, everything you could need. I can develop and demo from the same machine, works like a charm. And I also have the D/Dock APR that works great with it. It has a DVI out for my 20" LCD that I use when I'm in the office. It's a good combo. You can check out photos of the laptop, docking station, lcd, lots of other stuff at the link below. http://www.bigjim.org/archives/000974.html
I think I've tried all of the Fn combos but next time I'm off dock I'll plug it in before I turn it on and try that one out.
The latest BIOS release for the Inspiron 8200, A11, includes a fix for the following: 3. Fixed issue where the LCD may be off after undocking from a CRT-only / lid closed configuration. Ha... See more...
The latest BIOS release for the Inspiron 8200, A11, includes a fix for the following: 3. Fixed issue where the LCD may be off after undocking from a CRT-only / lid closed configuration. Has anyone had this problem on a D800, 8600, or M60? I have a Precision M60 and have that problem from day one. The work-around is to not plug in the power to the M60 until after it's fully booted and the LCD is on. If I plug in AC undocked before it boots up after I've been in dock then the LCD doesn't come on. I'd like to know if others are having this problem so that we may request it get fixed in the next bios update for the D800/8600/M60. Any help appreciated...
After testing I don't think that's the case at all. Check this thread... USB 2.0 Ports I tried my external hd in a couple of the ports and got the same speed on all, USB 2.0 type speeds. The E... See more...
After testing I don't think that's the case at all. Check this thread... USB 2.0 Ports I tried my external hd in a couple of the ports and got the same speed on all, USB 2.0 type speeds. The Enhanced controller handles 2.0 transactions. If you're not getting the hi-speed device in slower speed port error then everything should be working fine for you, otherwise you probably need to install the intel chipset drivers.
Bought one of these this week and finally had a chance to play around with it a little bit tonight. Buyer Beware... It works well when the hub is plugged into the USB port while using the built in ... See more...
Bought one of these this week and finally had a chance to play around with it a little bit tonight. Buyer Beware... It works well when the hub is plugged into the USB port while using the built in dell bluetooth stack but once you try to use it without the hub plugged in it doesn't work well at all. Doesn't remember settings, sometimes the mouse isn't discovered at boot, and the settings aren't available in the driver application if the hub/charger isn't plugged in. Looks like I may be returning this one. I love my MX700... Trying to get where I could have it with me all the time without lugging around the hub and having to plug-in but until they've got the driver situation a little more worked out I'd steer clear of the MX900.
Does anyone know the part # for the 4X DVD+RW/+R for the M60 (and D800 I'm guessing)? I'm thinking of getting one, trying to decide between an internal from Dell or just purchasing a external.