Mike Rubin's Posts

Mike Rubin's Posts

I hope this is a simple question. I have an XPS8700.  It previously had a RAID 0 boot configuration with a 28gb sdd and 1tb hdd. After getting a number of false warnings about impending drive failure... See more...
I hope this is a simple question. I have an XPS8700.  It previously had a RAID 0 boot configuration with a 28gb sdd and 1tb hdd. After getting a number of false warnings about impending drive failure from the Intel Rapid Storage Technology console, I decided to switch to a 1tb sdd. I changed my BIOS setting from RAID to AHCI and did a fresh install of Windows 10.  Everything works fine. I ran Dell's driver update utility on the website and again in Support Assistant. Both suggest that I again install Intel Rapid Storage Technology.   I don't want another RAID and I only am using an ssd.  Despite hours searching the Internet, I can't get an answer to this specific question:  what can IRST do for me if I don't need RAID support and only have a single ssd?  I can see that it's essential for a RAID and that it might be useful with a mechanical drive, but what does it do for an ssd-based, non-RAID system? Thanks for any insights you can offer.