pmg435T
Bronze

Re: XPS 8930 or Aurora R7 selection advice

I have been configuring my system. The main components are now decided:

a. Intel i7-8700

b. 850W PSU with liquid cooling

c. NVIDIA GTX 1070

d. 16 GB memory

e. 256 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA 6 GB/s storage. BTW, I have no idea what M.2 PCIe NVMe means and if that is the ultimate selection, but I guess it is a better choice than the 128 GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot) [without the PCIe NVMe] + 2 TB 7200 RPM SATA 6 GB/s (storage).  I believe 1 TB storage would be sufficient. My current setup has 500 GB storage and it is only about 50% full. I still could specify a 2 TB storage drive with the 256 GB SSD for an additional $50 to future proof my system.

f. DVD RW drive

But this brought up some other questions.

1. Should I get the tray load BDRE drive instead of the DVD RW drive? Will the BDRE drive also read/write DVDs? I actually don't need a Blue Ray drive right now but I will consider this option for convenience. But I also could always add an external Blue Ray drive when needed at a later date.

2. I don't know about the 3 wireless selection options. Should I get the DW1810, or the DW1820, or the Killer 1535. I just want to keep this simple and not introduce complications in the WiFi operation. Perhaps you have an opinion on the reliability of this component and a suggestion of which one to get.

3. On a different subject, I currently have the Dell S240W monitor that I bought with the XPS 435T/9000 in 2009. It still works great. But if I want to upgrade to a new monitor, which 24" monitor would you suggest to get. Remember, I do not do a lot of gaming so I looked at the Dell UltraSharp 24 InfinityEdge U2417H.

Perhaps you should charge me for all the advice you have given me. I really would consider paying you for steering me in the right direction and preventing me from making a costly mistake that I will regret later on.

Thank you,

Paul

0 Kudos