Reply to Message

Reply to Message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
Jannii
Bronze

Re: "C:\windows\system32\config\system was missing or corrupted"

Ok, so I backed up all my data and re-installed WIn XP from the CD but I'm now having two different problems. During the re-install it was unable to copy newdev.dll so I had to skip it  but the rest of the install seemed OK and Win XP boots up fine. Does anyone know which directory I should copy newdev.dll into as I am concerned this may be what is causing my other problems.

1) when I try to activate Windows it tells me my product key is wrong !  I have checked it over and over and I am typing it in correctly as per the label on the bottom of the laptop.

2) Win XP is not installing the drivers for my Ethernet card (Broadcom 440x), Sound card (Sigmatel C-Major Audio) or Video card (NVidia GeForce FX Go5200).  When I try to install them manually the setup programs fail with the message "missing setupDLL.cpp" which seems to be something to do with the InstallShield setup program.  I have also tried going into Device Manager and clicking on Update driver but nothing happens. Also when I try using the Add New Hardware wizard and browse to the inf file for my device it doesn't find any compatible devices to install.

Can anyone suggest how I get round these problems as I obviously have no sound and the VGASave driver that XP has installed makes my screen flicker and I can't adjust the refresh rate.
I am not so concerned about the ethernet adaptor as I use an Intel wireless card to connect to my home network.

Message Edited by Jannii on 11-27-2005 07:19 AM

0 Kudos