Reply to Message

Reply to Message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
ralph_bailey51
1 Nickel

Re: 2nd hard drive installed in inspiron 531. sata ports not enabled

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-formatSmiley Surprisedther; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} p {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {pageSmiley Frustratedection1;} -->

You asked these questions for someone else problem in April and since I am having the same problem, could you help me with this?

I am trying to install a 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda hard drive.

The BIOS that I have is Dell Phoenix 1.0.13.

The factory setup is the hard drive in SATA0 and the DVD drive in SATA1.  Since the Dell documentation says to use SATA0 and SATA1 for hard drives, at first I switched the DVD to SATA3, but the DVD wasn't recognized and the additional Seagate drive was plugged into SATA1.  The PC recognized the Seagate as present in SATA1.  I made several switches among the SATAs and finally realized that SATA2 and 3 were not activated.

I now have the DVD back in SATA1 the way it was.  The BIOS setup shows SATA0 and SATA1 present, but the new Seagate drive does not show up. SATA2 and 3 are greyed out, so it appears they are not activated and I don't know how to do that. The SATA information on the setup could not be accessed as they were all greyout, so the Page Up/Page Down could not be applied to the SATA fields.

Another issue is when I did have the new Seagate drive activated in SATA1, I tried to format it and it got stuck twice at 73% formated.  Any suggestions for overcoming this problem?

Thanks.

0 Kudos