Error code 2000-0142 on the Latitude system denotes that the hard drive has gone bad and needs to be replaced.
The error 2000-0146 on the Inspiron suggests that there were errors in previous diagnostics log and does not necessarily mean that the hard drive has failed.
To confirm hard drive failure, run the following diagnostics:
1. Restart the system.
2. Press F12 at Dell logo to enter the ‘One Time Boot Menu’.
3. Navigate to ‘Diagnostics’ using the Down arrow key and press enter to launch the diagnostics.
4. The system diagnostics would start.
5. Once the initial tests are complete, you will get a prompt asking if you want to run the remaining memory tests. Press ‘N’ to proceed.
6. Press any key to boot to boot to diagnostics partition.
7. You will see 3 options- Test System, Test Memory and Exit. Select Test System and press Enter.
8. The Dell Diagnostics screen will appear. It would list the four options given below:
• Express Test.
• Extended Test.
• Custom Test.
• Symptom Tree.
9. Please select ‘Custom Test’ and click on the ‘+’ sight to expand the options. Select ‘Hard Drive’, select ‘Run Quick Test Only’ and click on ‘Run Test’.
10. Note down any error messages that appear and let me know.
I am also sending you a private message. Please reply with the Service Tags of both the systems so that I can check the status of warranty. Also provide me with the full name, phone number and the address of the original owner for account verification purposes.
Please reply in case of any issues. I will be glad to help.
Thanks and Regards,