Reply to Message

Reply to Message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
JimmyCarter
1 Copper

Ethernet and wireless not working (brand spanking new Inspiron N4050)

I just bought a new laptop today here in Chile, South America. It's a Dell Inspiron N4050, running Windows 7 Home Basic, Service Pack 1. I haven't been able to connect to the internet via an ethernet cable nor wirelessly. The wireless indicator is on (duh!) and the ethernet cable works with a PC sitting next to the laptop. I have a ARRIS modem (yes, the third world) and it works fine wirelessly with other devices here such as phones and laptops. When I plug in the ethernet cable it tells me that it can't identify the network. I do see all the wireless connections but it's the same, unable to identify network. I've tired all sorts of things, having studied computer science myself I'm not a total beginner, but the OS is in Spanish so it's really hard to make sense of things. If I can't fix this soon I will be forced to reformat the computer. The pros of doing that is that I will get the OS in English and lose all the rubbish Dell pre-installs on their products. The setback is that I won't have the drivers installed for the NIC and other things (although they should be on the optical disc that came with the notebook). Perhaps the problem is the modem, maybe I need a driver for it. Somehow I don't think that is the case because I brough my own hard drive from my country of origin and I put it inside the PC and it connected instantly with the internet via the modem. Any thoughts?

ipconfig:

IPv4: 169.254.113.41 (link-local address)

Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0

Default gateway: none

0 Kudos