Reply to Message

Reply to Message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
joe53
5 Tungsten

Re: Dell Tech Support telling users to completely disable Windows Update in Vista?

I for one have had Windows Automatic Updates disabled for years, using XP. Never regretted it yet.

I can recall instances when MS tried to install dodgy software (WGA Notification springs to mind) that conferred no security benefit to the user, and that one could not subsequently uninstall.

Instead, I install critical and security updates manually from the MS Update website/Custom option, usually a day or two after they are released monthly on "Patch Tuesday". (If the patches can wait a month, they can wait an extra day or two). This allows me to check whether others have had problems with any patch. The MSU site also allows me to check whether any given patch can be uninstalled or not before downloading it: I am very leery of  installing any patch that cannot be uninstalled.

Would I recommend this approach for the average user? NO. I think for most users, who haven't the time to keep abreast of updates, automatic updates should be enabled. The benefits out-weigh the risks. But those that choose to use automatic updates should be aware that historically MS has (albeit rarely) installed problematic patches.

Dell Forum Member since 2,000

Use OpenDNS   MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware Free

Windows 7/sp1 (64- Bit): Malwarebytes 3.x Premium, Windows Firewall, WinPatrol PLUS, Emsisoft Emergency Kit Free and HitmanPro Free (on-demand scanners), OpenDNS, MVPS Hosts file, SpywareBlaster, Pale Moon web browser, Sandboxie, CCleaner Free.

Windows 10 Pro (64- Bit): Same protection plus Windows Defender AV.

"In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes" - Banksy

0 Kudos