Reply to Message

Reply to Message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
mcatenacci
1 Copper

Trying to Reinstall XP after Vista on Dell Inspiron 6400

Hi all, My Dell came originally with XP Media Centre 2005, but I was eligible for the free Vista Upgrade. I upgraded to Vista and had that for about a year, but my computer is running really slow with it, so I wanted to go back. It wouldn't allow me to install XP over Vista because it was not compatible, so I decided to format the drive to be rid of Vista and start fresh with my original XP cd's and driver cd. I found the startup screen with the partitions, and I wasn't sure what they were all for, there's 4 partitions. I think I deleted the d: partition because I thought I didn't need it, I wanted all the space to be on one partition... I figured I don't use the media centre anyways, and would rather get rid of that wasted space, but not sure if that's even possible. ANYway, I formatted the C: to get rid of vista, and created a new partition on the C: (where I try to reinstall xp now)... I also formatted the 😧 and dont know what damage that caused. The other two partitions are still there untouched, dont know what they're for, one says the dell media direct. So I reinstalled XP on the C: and went through all the steps, my computer booted up with XP, only it's not at all how I first got it. My screen resolution only gives me 2 options, those icons on the bottom don't load so I can't even connect to the internet or do much of anything. I installed the drivers cd, but nothing seems to change even though it says they were added. I tried to repair xp by using the xp cd, and I get some kind of errors that says files are missing. Is this because I deleted the other partition?? I'm not sure what to do and get my xp looking normal again, please help!!! Not too technologically advanced, so I don't know why I attempted this. :( Michelle
0 Kudos