Reply to Message

Reply to Message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
smort058
1 Copper

Lag After Hibernate

Hi everyone.

I'm wondering if this problem is common or if someone can help me resolve it.

Several weeks ago, my Dell Inspiron N4110 was reformatted. I reinstalled the operating system (Windows 7 Home Premium) and manually installed all Drivers from the Dell Website. Then I did the driver scan, found more, and installed them. 

The problem that I've been trying to figure out for weeks and weeks is that when my computer goes to sleep, or hibernate or standby, if it's been running for a little while (an hour or more) then it will experience EXTREME LAG IN ALL PROGRAMS, including windows itself. Occasionally, the screen will turn black, or the mouse cursor will get stuck in one place.  If I click and drag on a scroll bar, it will get stuck and hang for 5-10 seconds.  If I am typing a sentence, it will get stuck and take several seconds for what I type to show up. Lastly, all programs will spontaneously hand and stop responding during normal use.

Following this, the computer also fails to shut down properly: it hangs on the "Shutting down..." screen, and I have to force shut down instead by holding the power button (which I'm SURE is horrible for the computer).

Immediately following startup or restart, none of these problems occur. Even if my computer has been running for days, as long as it hasn't gone to sleep or hibernate then it will still work fine.  

This problem needs to be resolved because I often need to put it to sleep or hibernate for short periods of time, since it is a laptop.

I only bought this computer last December, and the warranty is good for the first year.  So, I'm also wondering if this kind of problem would be covered under warranty if no one can figure out how to resolve it.

Some details about my computer:

Dell Inspiron N4110 (14R)

5.7 Windows Experience Index

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz

RAM: 8.00 GB (7.90 GB usable)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Operating System with Service Pack 1

My typical use of programs:

Microsoft Word 2007

Microsoft Excel 2007

Google Chrome

Windows Media Player

I will really appreciate any help!