Reply to Message

Reply to Message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
A_Kri
2 Iron

Re: XPS-15-9570 (Bios 1.7) -

@mhbuzios  schrieb:

Mine with this configuration working on normal tasks I have no Fan or very low 😉

Current Status:

-BIOS 1.8.1
-All Drivers up to date
-Windows 10 1809 everything up to date
-Dell Power Manager on "Quiet Mode" for fan control
-Nvidia control settings for energy mode are set to "adaptive"
-Running on Battery power cable unplugged

What are normal tasks for you?

My config is now:

-Bios 1.10.1

-All drivers up to date

-Windows 10 1809 everything up to date

-Dell Power Manager on "Ultra Performance" for fan control

-Nvidia control settings for energy mode are set to "adaptive"

-Running on Battery power cable unplugged

As you can see, our configs are pretty much the same. Just a newer Bios version and another setting in Dell Power Manager. The setting in DPM has no impact on the described issue. And I would suggest to use the ultra perfomance setting because the fans will no spin with max speed in the quiet mode. So you would have to change the setting every time you have a more demanding task like a render or a game.

The Bios version also doesn't play a role. Basically every Bios since 1.7 has the issue.

Currently I am browsing with a lot of tabs open and even downloading some files (3 downloads a 1.8GB), and the fans are off. The CPU is ideling at 44°C.

Works perfect?

But wait till I open an application which activates the nvidia gpu. In my case its Matlab, Lightroom, Photoshop, Davinci Resolve, ...

I will sometimes just leave them open in the background for a break to work later with them. They are ideling and do not demand any processing power. The temps are not rising.

And at this point I have issues where the Fans go berzerk. Every few seconds the spin on, and shortly after go off.

Especially with Matlab I just have to look at a static model and write a report at the same time. The fans make me crazy. 

I once even made some screenshots of various parts of the model in matlab, and then closed the application. But this workaround isn't staisfying as i have to reopen the application if I missed some part to screenshot.

And that is a more annyoing issue with DELL. As they suggest all kinds of tweaks where the users have to cripple their notebooks just to work somehow.

For me its: Just don't use any applications. Let your XPS sit there and look good. If you don't click anything, nothing will trigger the fans. Deal with it.

For the DPC issue: Put it in maximum performance, disable WiFi, disable C states, .... Really????? I have never heard of a PC that has to be modified that much to be able to fulfill one specific task.

There are a lot of more examples in other topics with other issues. Just look at all the suggestions. Please make a fresh restart, put it in this mode, and then in this mode, and later make this. But don't open anything else. Do you see how the super XPS is performing? Perfect. like in our Labs. 

Is it crazy to expect a bit more from their "top of the line" product? A bit more then ideling in a lab environment?