Reply to Message

Reply to Message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
Allen_Ward
4 Germanium

Re: EMC Ask the EXpert Discussion: What the books DON’T tell you about moving from one platform to another

Good morning everyone, and welcome to what I've been told a few times already is a "slightly different" kind of Ask the Expert discussion. For starters, this one spans technology platforms (CLARiiON, VNX, Symmetrix) where so far these discussions have been focused on one technology. That is kind of the point of this though.

Just as some background, my own experience prior to implementing the DMX3s in our enterprise was almost entirely CLARiiON. Suddenly we had a new platform with new methods of management to learn and while some of the concepts were totally different, some of them were close enough to be confusing. I would have loved to be able to take a course called "Beginner Symmetrix Concepts for CLARiiON Experts", but nothing like that existed. Fortunately I found help here on the Support Forums and did A LOT of reading (not to mention some trial and error testing).

In remembrance of those painful days, this discussion will focus on what you may need to know moving from one platform to another (in either direction)... whether you already have that shiny new array on the floor and are still trying to figure out what to do with it or you are still considering if it is the right choice to fit in your support capabilities.

Dynamox and I are here to field your questions and hopefully ease your pain a bit in the transition.

0 Kudos